Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

WRR -> 690 -> WRR

Go down 
AuthorMessage
njbill

PostSubject: WRR -> 690 -> WRR   Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:10 pm

It has been a while since I was here. I owned a WR250R for seven years. Two years ago, I purchased a KTM690 Enduro and sold my beloved WRR. After two years trying to bond with the 690, I just took a deposit on it. I'm picking up a WR250R on Friday. Very happy
Back to top Go down
canadianshark74

PostSubject: Re: WRR -> 690 -> WRR   Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:47 pm

Would be nice to keep both bikes.

Congrats on getting another WR
Back to top Go down
jotis

PostSubject: Re: WRR -> 690 -> WRR   Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:37 pm

njbill wrote:
It has been a while since I was here. I owned a WR250R for seven years. Two years ago, I purchased a KTM690 Enduro and sold my beloved WRR. After two years trying to bond with the 690, I just took a deposit on it. I'm picking up a WR250R on Friday. Very happy

I'd love to hear more specifics about your experience and decision. What kind of riding do you do? What stopped the 690 from being a keeper for you?
Back to top Go down
njbill

PostSubject: Re: WRR -> 690 -> WRR   Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:28 pm

jotis wrote:
njbill wrote:

I'd love to hear more specifics about your experience and decision. What kind of riding do you do? What stopped the 690 from being a keeper for you?

Although on paper the 690 does not look much larger than the WRR, I found it to be quite a beast. On adventure rides, I did not enjoy the 690 any more than my Super Tenere. On dual sport rides, I did not enjoy the 690 more than the WRR. As soon as things got tight and rough, I found myself hating the 690. That never happened on my WRR. My long-range street/ADV touring days are behind. The more dirt on a ride, the happier I am. Now, my "big bike" is a WR250R and my "small bike" is a Beta Xtrainer 300. Very happy

Here is my old 2008 WR250R on Black Bear Pass in Colorado. The thought of doing that ride on my 690 makes me cringe.

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WRR -> 690 -> WRR   Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:18 am

Does that mean the 690 Enduro felt a lot heavier and cumbersome than you thought it would be, enough to rob you of confidence while riding?

That is what I found out when riding different bikes with larger vs. smaller engines, bikes that were not very far apart in weight when weighed on a scale.

The inertia from the heavier rotating mass of the engine makes for substantial gyroscopic effect, making the bike feel ponderous vs. a smaller-displacing bike.
Back to top Go down
njbill

PostSubject: Re: WRR -> 690 -> WRR   Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 am

Yes, the 690 felt cumbersome, which reduced confidence.  That is a good way of characterizing my issue with the 690. The only time it shined was in a straight line on the street. My power wheelie days are behind me.

YZEtc wrote:
Does that mean the 690 Enduro felt a lot heavier and cumbersome than you thought it would be, enough to rob you of confidence while riding?

That is what I found out when riding different bikes with larger vs. smaller engines, bikes that were not very far apart in weight when weighed on a scale.

The inertia from the heavier rotating mass of the engine makes for substantial gyroscopic effect, making the bike feel ponderous vs. a smaller-displacing bike.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: WRR -> 690 -> WRR   Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:38 am

njbill wrote:
As soon as things got tight and rough, I found myself hating the 690. That never happened on my WRR. My long-range street/ADV touring days are behind. The more dirt on a ride, the happier I am. Now, my "big bike" is a WR250R and my "small bike" is a Beta Xtrainer 300.

If your primary use is tight off-road trails, then I can see your point about the WRR being preferable to the 690; but in those situations why wouldn't you use the Xtrainer?

I never owned a 690, but I've ridden it a few times; its power is awesome, and it feels as light as the WRR statically. Dynamically it feels a bit heavier due to the much higher inertia of the flywheel, but the power that comes from it is fully worth it. Its suspension is also far head of the WRR, which inspires even more confidence in the machine (and the WRR is confidence-inspiring itself).

The only problem with the 690 is its reliability; if those gremlins are ever sorted out, then the 690 becomes the preferred bike for long-distance adventure riding.
Back to top Go down
njbill

PostSubject: Re: WRR -> 690 -> WRR   Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:02 pm

The 690 proved to be very reliable for me. Unfortunately, the 690 does not feel lighter than the WRR. It has awesome power but the WRR's power is fine for my use.

johnkol wrote:
njbill wrote:
As soon as things got tight and rough, I found myself hating the 690. That never happened on my WRR. My long-range street/ADV touring days are behind. The more dirt on a ride, the happier I am. Now, my "big bike" is a WR250R and my "small bike" is a Beta Xtrainer 300.

If your primary use is tight off-road trails, then I can see your point about the WRR being preferable to the 690; but in those situations why wouldn't you use the Xtrainer?

I never owned a 690, but I've ridden it a few times; its power is awesome, and it feels as light as the WRR statically. Dynamically it feels a bit heavier due to the much higher inertia of the flywheel, but the power that comes from it is fully worth it. Its suspension is also far head of the WRR, which inspires even more confidence in the machine (and the WRR is confidence-inspiring itself).

The only problem with the 690 is its reliability; if those gremlins are ever sorted out, then the 690 becomes the preferred bike for long-distance adventure riding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRR -> 690 -> WRR   

Back to top Go down

WRR -> 690 -> WRR
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WRR/X General Discussion-
Jump to: