Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Steering damper

Go down 
+10
wallycycle
velox
Mr. Fisherman
Chief_Lee_Visceral
taoshum
edteamslr
jimrobinette
10Cup
Crawdaddy
Xcalibur046
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Xcalibur046

Xcalibur046

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 12:54 pm

Hi!

I'm looking for a good steering damper.

What brand is the best?

Anyone has experienced it?

Thanks for the info!!
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 2:11 am

GPR (a local San Diego Company) has a version 4 (under the bar) stabilizer in the works for our little WR250R......it's not out yet but hopefully I'll be able to post a picture of one on my bike within the next few months.....I've used both Scott's and GPRs......I prefer the GPR.....

Go here for more info on the V4 stabilizers: http://www.gprstabilizer.com/prod_v4_dirt
Back to top Go down
Xcalibur046

Xcalibur046

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks Crawdaddy, I'll look at that.
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Scott's all the way.   Steering damper EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 8:28 pm

Xcalibur046 wrote:
Hi!

I'm looking for a good steering damper.

What brand is the best?

Anyone has experienced it?

Thanks for the info!!

Yes, have the Scott's under bar on mine and absolutely love it. Dial it up for what ever conditions you are in almost instantly. Makes a huge difference. Best accessory you can buy for your bike.

Steering damper DSC02688
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: GPR Stabilizer Now available   Steering damper EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 7:35 pm

Randy from GPR just sent me an e-mail with a couple of photos.....the GPR V4 stabilizer is now available for the WR250R - $495......I've used GPRs in the past on my YZ/EXCs......great product for the sandy/loose conditions in So. CA./Mex......I'll have one on my WR250R after the first of the year......

http://www.gprstabilizer.com/prod_v4_dirt

Steering damper WR250GPR01

Steering damper WR250GPR02
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Merry Christmas to......me   Steering damper EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 2:26 pm

Look what just arrived......

Steering damper WR250Stabilizer

I'll snap some photos once I get everything mounted up......
Back to top Go down
jimrobinette

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Crawdaddy,

You make me sick. puke

Or at least jealous of your farkelness. bow

Jim, after trying to keep up: baldy Must....stop....trying.....

Hope you enjoy and glad you got it. Would love to see how it rides next week out at Sups.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 7:39 pm

Crawdaddy wrote:
Look what just arrived......I'll snap some photos once I get everything mounted up......

Beaver 3CS is hooked up along with GPR & Heated Grips......

Steering damper Picture001

Steering damper Picture002
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: update   Steering damper EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi, I'm looking at the GRP due to good reviews and a decent price. Any chance of an update and the model/fitting kit code so - can enquire with my importer?
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 3:59 pm

old reliable

Steering damper Img_3710

Steering damper Img_3711
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 4:24 pm

GPR does not list the Wr250R on their site yet?

http://www.gprstabilizer.com/shopping_dirtbikes
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Rox risers   Steering damper EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Next question - which steering damper could I use with my set of Rox anti-vibe risers (they use the lower stock clamps)
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 11:53 pm

Crawdaddy, any chance of getting a group deal on one of those?
It has been almost a year and I still don't see the WR250X/R listed on their web site.
I am trying to decide between this one and the Scotts. Also considering one from Washington.

Looking forward to your reply...
Back to top Go down
velox

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 7:50 am

Fisherman,

Which one is from WA?
Back to top Go down
velox

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 5:15 am

*cricket*

man these forums are dead...
I'm also interested in the GPR one, but no updates...

horse
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 5:30 am

I'm annoyed with myself for not picking up a GPRs damper when I was over in the States last week. They're so expensive here. I need to get my bike back together with the Rox risers and see if I like that enough to deny myself a steering damper by using them (I haven't found one that fits will them).
Back to top Go down
wallycycle

wallycycle

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 7:19 am

Recently installed the GPR. Could not be happier with the way it performs. Installation instructions could be more detailed. Makes the front end more "precise" and more controllable.
Back to top Go down
Recon_Buck

Recon_Buck

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: I just bought one as well....   Steering damper EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Will it really fit under the bars??? There's not much room there with the 7/8" bar mounts???? I know they're shipping me shims, will it fit?
Back to top Go down
wallycycle

wallycycle

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 7:22 pm

With the kit you get new bar mounts and steering stem nut that work with the steering damper so clearance not an issue. The bar mounts are machined for fat bars but if you have 7/8" like I do, ask to be supplied with bushings for those bars. What the instructions don't tell you is that in addition to bending the one cable stay forwards all the way, you also have to remove another one. Otherwise both will interfere with the headstock collar at left/right lock. Not a big deal but if you do it in advance, will save you the work of removing the top triple again to do so.
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Same deal here with the cable stays, bend the center loop one down and removed the one on the left side.

Been futzing around with other parts of mods. I should post my pics tonight.
Back to top Go down

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 9:26 am

So this may be a real noob question, but looking online I've seen Steering Stabilizer/Damper offered for the WRX and WRR. Is there a difference? dunno Im a very technical person (engineer), so I believe I understand the concept of a Steering Dampers, which is to create resistance when turning away from center. Kinda like auto-centering for steering? Is this correct?

Is the goal of adjusting the damper... Higher for crusing (typ. straight) and lower for a more nible scenerio (single track)?

My main reason for looking into a Damper is because crusing on the Highway I get a light wheel wobble that I'm afraid to let progress into a full-on tank-slapper. Is this typical of WRRs? Could it be an alignment thing? Bearings? User-Stupidity? budah

Current WRR Setup:
Renthal 1-1/8" FatBar
Mitas C16/C17 StoneEater Tires (90% off / 10% on-road) DOT, in 21"/18"

Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Here is a diagram that may help...   Steering damper EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 9:31 am

Steering damper 593841669_XYYA5-L

I borrowed this from ADVrider
Back to top Go down

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 12:22 pm

Okay, Second NOOB Question... budah
Can anyone explain the benefits of the GPR vs Scotts. Scotts makes their information readily available on their website, but I'm having difficulty finding GPR's info. From what I can find, they are essentially the same. Please chime in if you know about this... scratch

SCOTTS has three settings.
1. The Base Control Valve:
"The Base valve adjust the amount of resistance you feel as you turn the bars left to right."

2. The High Speed Valve:
"This valving circuit is designed to help absorb large, unexpected hits, such as hidden tree roots or a pot hole. It reacts to spikes that exceed your current base valve setting."

3. The Sweep Control Valve:
"Located on both sides, these are what control the distance of damping force (or sweep), from the center line out to either side until it releases. The stabilizer is then free to move to the steering stop. This allows for easy steering in tight turns."

GPR has the following under their website FAQ:
"Question: I've heard your damper has no high speed dampening. What's the difference between high/low dampening?
Answer:This is a great question. If you know what high and low speed dampening is, you would laugh at our competition and their claims. To start, you can't have one without the other (high/low speed dampening). Low speed comes with high speed and visa-versa. Any damper, including ours, would be useless w/o high speed valving or dampening. We get our valving through a single port made of only hard, anodized aluminum (nothing to contaminate or break down the oil) that on impact will restrict the flow of oil (Fluid, volume transfer). The harder the impact, the more high speed dampening it has. No unnecessary dials or parts to fail. We do have high speed dampening and a high-speed circuit. What we don't have is a 2nd external adjuster dial for that circuit, as both high and low speed dampening are controlled with the single, large, dial instead of a separate, blind adjustment dial. It is a true on the fly adjustment that has a numerical reference, so you know where it is set at all times, no guess work here."

Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 12:35 pm

whitea42 wrote:
Okay, Second NOOB Question... budah
Can anyone explain the benefits of the GPR vs Scotts. Scotts makes their information readily available on their website, but I'm having difficulty finding GPR's info. From what I can find, they are essentially the same. Please chime in if you know about this... scratch

As I understand it, the major difference between the two is the Scotts off road models is free return to center whereas the GPR dampens in both directions making for more work (read: more arm pump) :

"via Jake at Scott's Performance
Scotts manufactures 2 different stabilizers, a road bike version and an off-road version. Both units share the same physical size and appearance; the main differences are in the valving design. Below is a very brief description of the differences between the 2 styles.

The off-road damper is a non-rebound stabilizer, which means, as it sweeps away from center it has damping but the moment it changes direction back toward center the damping is free until it reaches center again, hence the term non-rebound or free-rebound. This was an important development in the off-road damper and is what makes our damper work so well. Its design is to allow the rider to correct for constant slides associated with off-roading while not fighting with the damping forces back to center. It's a serious advantage for the off-road rider. This feature helps prevent the common syndrome known as arm pump. Our stabilizer is the only one made with this feature.

The road bike damper design requires a totally different function and therefore is a rebound damper. A road bike is primarily leaned, not steered, and the damping forces need to be absorbed in both directions to maintain constant stability, due to the nature of the energy needing to be absorbed.

Can they be interchanged? Yes.

Are you receiving all the advantages you could by using the off road unit on a road bike application or vice versa? No.

Is there a big difference? That is an individual opinion. Using your dirt bike damper on your road bike would still be a vast improvement over no damper at all and the same goes for using a road bike damper on a dirt bike. Some customers who have tried switching from one to the other say, they feel no difference. Others claim there is a huge difference. So you see, it's truly personal preference. There are other internal differences between the 2 stabilizers which would take a lot longer to explain. The best bet is always to use the right damper for the right application. However, we could not tell you that they don't work when switched for the other application; it's just that they work better when used as designed for the right application.

There are always specific applications that might favor one type or the other depending on the situation. We make our suggestions based on our testing and what the majority of our customer base prefers. You have the option to specify whichever unit you prefer when ordering.

Thank you,
Jake
Scotts Performance"
Back to top Go down

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 6:07 pm

lurk GREAT INFO Chrispy! That's Exactly what I've been hoping to find out about the two.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering damper
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next