Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

DRC Taillight Upgrade

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
X-Racer

X-Racer

DRC Taillight Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: DRC Taillight Upgrade   DRC Taillight Upgrade EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 11:35 pm

It's always something I swear..... Nothing I ever get that is "plug and play" is ever that.

So I get a complete DRC kit for the girl's bike, taillight, turn signals in-line resistors etc...

She's more than a competent wrench and works on all my rides so she follows the instructions and guess what ? When hooked up exactly as they say, the brake light in continuously "On".

So I found a combination where just the taillight is "On", but none that allow the brake switches to switch the brake light "On".

The instructions suck, and I expect that. Apparently you don't need the license plate hook-ups. The tail lamp itself which is always "On" has a clear lens that lights the plate. ...but they don't tell you that.

They tell you this:

M/C Blue - Taillight Yellow
M/C Yellow - Taillight Red
M/C Black - Taillight Black

Since "Ground" (Black) is "Ground" there is only one potential variation to the combination.

After two inadvertant fuse interventions I figured I'd go to the schematics. Schementics I don't have.

Grrrrr.... So I need a hug and replaement fuses and a schematic. Well... Okay. A fuse and a schematic.

Worse BTW is it is going to rain and I need to ride ! Anyone have cheese to go with my whine ?
Back to top Go down
dmulk

PostSubject: Re: DRC Taillight Upgrade   DRC Taillight Upgrade EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 12:59 am

I literrally did this install last weekend...I took my time and followed the instructions, albeit they are poorly written as you stated.

Everything worked fine.

The only difference in my setup from yours is I didn't install resistors....

Are you certain you didn't connect the brake light to the tail light power?

Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: DRC Taillight Upgrade   DRC Taillight Upgrade EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 9:10 am

No resistors here either?!?

Should be a pretty straight forward wire job.

Did you get the right kit?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: DRC Taillight Upgrade   DRC Taillight Upgrade EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 9:46 am

I ordered my DRC kit from Wheeling Cycle Supply and I got exactly what I ordered and it installed perfectly.

I got no resistors either. DRC Taillight Upgrade Suspect

To the OP - where did you order your kit from?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: DRC Taillight Upgrade   DRC Taillight Upgrade EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 3:45 pm

Humpfh....

EBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-WR250R-DRC-EDGE2-TAIL-LIGHT-WITH-TURN-SIGNALS_W0QQitemZ250528328690QQihZ015QQcategoryZ35594QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63

For some reason I thought the resistors were required for the blinkers. ....and BTW, the blinkers work fine.

Either way. As far as the instructions go if they were correct, and followed, I would assume there's not much room for error. It's only three wires and like I said, ground is ground.

So one has to be the taillight and the other the brake switch leg. * scratching head *

Now I have to go find her a fuse. Wondreing now where the heck do you get them lil guys ?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: DRC Taillight Upgrade   DRC Taillight Upgrade EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 5:18 pm

Well, I did not get the turn signals with my kit.

So you may be right.

The resistors might be there to slow the blinking rate down if they are LED's.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: DRC Taillight Upgrade   DRC Taillight Upgrade EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 11:50 pm

How about a piece of humble pie ?

Soooo.... After nothing making sense (every wire I connected threw the brake lights on) I figured I'd disco the brake switches, but as it turns out, when I looked at the rear brake switch linkage (wire spring combo), the girl apparently bent it (don't ask me how) just enough to "close" the switch. :)

Doi doi doi doi..... Thanks for the help people. LETS RIDE !
Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: DRC Taillight Upgrade   DRC Taillight Upgrade EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 7:21 am

I can get the OEM Yamaha Taillight connectors. if you guys need them.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: DRC Taillight Upgrade   DRC Taillight Upgrade EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 11:47 am

That was the other issue... The resistor kit size of the male/female contacts was different than the ones supplied for the OEM interfaces.

Can you say Ouf da ! (S'pose to be a "Oh Sheet" expression in Dutch).

I just hate surprises, and it seems everytime I buy some aftermarket kit for something I get surprised.

The conns were made with a western union wrap, soldered and shrink-sleeved.

....which should be fine unless the sub-frame or the taillight needs to come off. ...at which time I'd need to do it with disconnects.

Grrrrr..... Yea yea... I know. I COULD leave it stock. In the case of the OEM taillight assy., I don't plan on doing any on-the-fly refueling from a GS1200 (which is what it looks like it is designed for).
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: DRC Taillight Upgrade   DRC Taillight Upgrade EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 7:21 pm

glad you got it sorted out!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DRC Taillight Upgrade   DRC Taillight Upgrade Empty

Back to top Go down

DRC Taillight Upgrade
Page 1 of 1