Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
slovenian6474

Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues. Empty
PostSubject: Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues.   Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues. EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 12:22 pm

I just installed a new IMS 4.7 gal tank. Otherwise, the fuel and engine system is stock aside from flapper mod.

After about 400 miles, I found it hard to maintain speed. After I couldn't hold 50mph anymore I checked it out. At this point I suspected fuel pump issues and replaced with a new Quantum fuel pump and new fuel pressure regulator. Instant fix! All power restored and happy rider...for about 200 miles before the issue came back. It got so bad I wasn't able to go over 15mph. I heard about kinked high pressure fuel lines and did find a kink on mine. Once that was replaced, there was no improvement so I don't think that was the issue.

So! Now that it's home it's investigation time.
I suspect I could pop in yet another fuel pump and see the issue fixed but I don't necessarily know that mine is bad. I also don't know how long another pump would last. It's as if something is taking them out.
Now I did NOT rinse out the new tank before installing it as the directions did not mention any rinsing.
My plan is empty the tank, rinse it out, clean out all filters (note: the main pump filter has always looked very clean), test pressure on current pump, replace pump, and possibly replace the fuel injector.

Has anyone had this type of issue? Any suggestions or comments as this issue is the most I've dived into a FI system.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues.   Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues. EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 2:14 pm

How old is your battery?

If 4 years old or more I would have a load test done to see if it is still good.
Back to top Go down
slovenian6474

PostSubject: Re: Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues.   Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues. EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 2:53 pm

rsteiger wrote:
How old is your battery?

If 4 years old or more I would have a load test done to see if it is still good.

I've replaced it a bit ago. Just checked. It's 4 years old to the month! The bike starts and idles perfectly fine every time. What's the thought behind the battery causing this? Also I'm still on the stock stator. If you're thinking electrical, that may be a factor.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues.   Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues. EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 10:23 am

slovenian6474 wrote:
rsteiger wrote:
How old is your battery?

I've replaced it a bit ago. Just checked.  It's 4 years old to the month!   The bike starts and idles perfectly fine every time. What's the thought behind the battery causing this?  Also I'm still on the stock stator. If you're thinking electrical, that may be a factor.

The reason I bring up the battery is because the bike has fuel injection. A few years ago my friend's WRR battery lost a cell and his bike would stumble and hesitate as he tried to accelerate. However, I can't remember if he was able to start the bike or if we bump started it when it happened. At any point once he replaced the battery the bike ran fine again.

That is why I was suggesting having a shop or Batteries Plus to a load check on the battery to find out if it is good. Most people recommend to replace a battery after 4 years of service but that is not to say they won't fail earlier or later that 4 years.
Back to top Go down
slovenian6474

PostSubject: Re: Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues.   Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues. EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 10:27 am

rsteiger wrote:
slovenian6474 wrote:
rsteiger wrote:
How old is your battery?

I've replaced it a bit ago. Just checked.  It's 4 years old to the month!   The bike starts and idles perfectly fine every time. What's the thought behind the battery causing this?  Also I'm still on the stock stator. If you're thinking electrical, that may be a factor.

The reason I bring up the battery is because the bike has fuel injection.  A few years ago my friend's WRR battery lost a cell and his bike would stumble and hesitate as he tried to accelerate.  However, I can't remember if he was able to start the bike or if we bump started it when it happened.  At any point once he replaced the battery the bike ran fine again.

That is why I was suggesting having a shop or Batteries Plus to a load check on the battery to find out if it is good.  Most people recommend to replace a battery after 4 years of service but that is not to say they won't fail earlier or later that 4 years.

Well thanks. It doesn't quite make sense to me but I'll definitely add it to the list of things to check. I've been leaning away from it being an electrical issues since it worked great for 200 miles after changing the fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
slovenian6474

PostSubject: Re: Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues.   Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues. EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Update: Root cause of bogging was a clogged fuel injector. It was low on flow by 45%. Cleaned out and reinstalled the 1st fuel pump and success! It's got almost 300 miles on it and no issue. I'm guessing some fine dirt got into it during tank swapping and the filters didn't catch it all.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues.   Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues. EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 4:03 pm

slovenian6474 wrote:
Update:  Root cause of bogging was a clogged fuel injector.  It was low on flow by 45%.  Cleaned out and reinstalled the 1st fuel pump and success!  It's got almost 300 miles on it and no issue. I'm guessing some fine dirt got into it during tank swapping and the filters didn't catch it all.

thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues.   Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues. Empty

Back to top Go down

Severe bogging down while rolling on throttle. Fuel issues.
Page 1 of 1