Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

DE Modding my 2018 WR250r

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nicad

DE Modding my 2018 WR250r Empty
PostSubject: DE Modding my 2018 WR250r   DE Modding my 2018 WR250r EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Hello, I recently bought a 2018 WR250R that has many of the common bolt on mods. It came with the stock parts that were removed (Hope I have them all). It has the Full FMF Q4 Exhaust with FMF Power-Bomb Header * Graves AIS Block off kit & Grave EXUP eliminator * EJK Fuel Programmer . I'd like to put the stock pipe back on. Do I need to install the removed EXUP components and is it preferable? Should I keep the EJK fuel programmer on the stock bike? I'll probably sell off what I don't use. I need the bike quiet for what I want to get out of it.
Also, is it tricky reinstalling these components? I don't have the factory service manual yet, so no idea how it all hooks up.
Tia
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: DE Modding my 2018 WR250r   DE Modding my 2018 WR250r EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 2:43 pm

For what it is worth I like the EXUP on the bike for slow speed woods riding. It does provide a nice little torque bump in the low RPM range. However, if you are riding it in a more open environment you may not benefit from adding it back on. Get yourself a Service Manual since that will come in handy on several things. Most are available in an electronic format.

The only thing I would concern myself about is adding the AIS back on the bike. The stock muffler has a catalytic converter in the assembly - the AIS system provides fresh air for the catalytic to function properly. If it is not in place you may be at risk of plugging up the catalytic over time. In my case I cut open the exhaust and removed the catalytic converter.
Back to top Go down
Nicad

PostSubject: Re: DE Modding my 2018 WR250r   DE Modding my 2018 WR250r EmptyThu Sep 26, 2019 8:32 pm

rsteiger wrote:
For what it is worth I like the EXUP on the bike for slow speed woods riding.  It does provide a nice little torque bump in the low RPM range.  However, if you are riding it in a more open environment you may not benefit from adding it back on.  Get yourself a Service Manual since that will come in handy on several things.  Most are available in an electronic format.

The only thing I would concern myself about is adding the AIS back on the bike.  The stock muffler has a catalytic converter in the assembly - the AIS system provides fresh air for the catalytic to function properly.  If it is not in place you may be at risk of plugging up the catalytic over time.  In my case I cut open the exhaust and removed the catalytic converter.

Thanks for that info. Will probably put it all back to stock and keep the cat converter happy. Is the fuel programmer smoke and mirrors on a stock bike, or does it improve performance and not harm reliability in your opinion?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: DE Modding my 2018 WR250r   DE Modding my 2018 WR250r EmptyFri Sep 27, 2019 10:34 am

Nicad wrote:
rsteiger wrote:
For what it is worth I like the EXUP on the bike for slow speed woods riding.  It does provide a nice little torque bump in the low RPM range.  However, if you are riding it in a more open environment you may not benefit from adding it back on.  Get yourself a Service Manual since that will come in handy on several things.  Most are available in an electronic format.

The only thing I would concern myself about is adding the AIS back on the bike.  The stock muffler has a catalytic converter in the assembly - the AIS system provides fresh air for the catalytic to function properly.  If it is not in place you may be at risk of plugging up the catalytic over time.  In my case I cut open the exhaust and removed the catalytic converter.

Thanks for that info. Will probably put it all back to stock and keep the cat converter happy. Is the fuel programmer smoke and mirrors on a stock bike, or does it improve performance and not harm reliability in your opinion?

I have played around with a lot of different mods on my WR250R but the reality is a lot of the benefit or lack of benefit depends a great deal on how you use the bike.

I had a PCV with the airbox mods and custom free flowing exhaust with a custom map developed during several dyno sessions. The end result was the bike was noticeably faster on the Interstate - I topped out at a GPS indicated 93mph. However, it was not so happy running down a tight woods trail - it definitely lacked some low end grunt that was there in it's stock form.

In the end I pretty much returned it to stock since I tend to ride the bike in off pavement scenarios and I don't really race it - I ride it for enjoyment and I enjoyed it better in the stock setup.

So in my case the engine mods were not really worth it and actually hurt the performance of the bike for how I ride it.

However, the suspension mods made a big impact for me on the trails. The GoRace solution worked very well for me and how I ride the bike.

That being said, if you are using the bike more as a motard then I think there is something to be gained from the engine mods... really depends on how you are going to use the bike.
Back to top Go down
Nicad

PostSubject: Re: DE Modding my 2018 WR250r   DE Modding my 2018 WR250r EmptyFri Sep 27, 2019 3:00 pm

rsteiger wrote:
Nicad wrote:
rsteiger wrote:

I have played around with a lot of different mods on my WR250R but the reality is a lot of the benefit or lack of benefit depends a great deal on how you use the bike.

I had a PCV with the airbox mods and custom free flowing exhaust with a custom map developed during several dyno sessions.  The end result was the bike was noticeably faster on the Interstate - I topped out at a GPS indicated 93mph.  However, it was not so happy running down a tight woods trail - it definitely lacked some low end grunt that was there in it's stock form.

I'm going to get the service manual. Local dealer is saying it is about $75 USD. Sound right? I have  a few goals for the bike. Slow windy country roads, touring on those roads and single track that uses the first three gears. I'd say I never plan on going over 70 MPH steady state, but would like to be able to hit 80 briefly if I have to.  My gearing is 14-50 at the moment. Good low speed response and tractable power would be my main goals. I do like running it through the gears and am impressed with the revvability of my current setup. The only problem I see is the noise. I think I'll get the suspension optimized once I get a few miles on the bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DE Modding my 2018 WR250r   DE Modding my 2018 WR250r Empty

Back to top Go down

DE Modding my 2018 WR250r
Page 1 of 1