Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start

Go down 
+2
on2wheels52
jimbob394
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jimbob394

jimbob394

Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start Empty
PostSubject: Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start   Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I was working on installing a new headlight and fairing. I also changed the front blinkers to smaller ones which only used two wires, instead of the 3 factory wires. I zipped tied some of the new wires from the headlight to existing factory wires and had everything wired up correctly to the battery.

Then I tried to start the bike to test the headlight, however, when I turned it to the 'ON' position, the instrument cluster did not light up and the bike does not start or crank at all. The fuel pump runs and the blinkers work, but the bike does not function otherwise.

I read the sticky about checking the wiring harness behind the radiator; I had checked that already and it seemed fine and in tact. But I will check it again. I also removed all zip ties so there's no pulling on factory wires, but nothing has changed.

I inspected the wires leading into the instrument cluster and they all seem to be fine. I am not sure what is causing the issue, whether it was a wiring harness being pulled or a wire causing an issue from the blinkers or what. The battery has a full charge as well, so it wasn't dead.

Any ideas from anyone or steps to take to diagnose this issue?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
on2wheels52

PostSubject: Re: Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start   Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 9:12 am

Make sure there's 12 volts at the battery.
Then try and get back to square one (I'd blame the mechanic).
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start   Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 1:35 pm

on2wheels52 wrote:
Make sure there's 12 volts at the battery.
Then try and get back to square one (I'd blame the mechanic).

+1: go over everything you touched, chances are you'll find a disconnected plug somewhere.  Failing that you might have had a partially damaged wire that you just knocked loose: with the key on jiggle all the wires in the vicinity of where you were working and watch the instrument cluster, you may see it flicker to life and that's your bad wire/connection.  Good luck!

Edit: also check your fuses!

-morgan
Back to top Go down
omartinelmar

PostSubject: Similar Issue   Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 2:09 pm

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to start here as I'm having a similar issue...sort of.

I did absolutely nothing to my bike, I rode it on a sunny afternoon like I usually do and then parked her in the garage.

Later on, I tried to starting it up. Nothing. I figured the battery was dead so I plugged in the battery tender. It kicked an error code saying that there was a problem with the battery. Ok. New battery. I went and bought a new battery and installed. Same thing. No power, battery tender kicking the same code.

I've checked the main fuse and ignition fuses and both are good. Not sure where to move forward from here, so any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start   Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start EmptyFri Jun 05, 2020 4:44 pm

You can rule out the starter relay by connecting the 2 terminals on it with a screwdriver.
It will spark a bit when you do this.
Back to top Go down
Monica

PostSubject: Re: Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start   Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 5:41 am

omartinelmar wrote:
I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to start here as I'm having a similar issue...sort of.

I did absolutely nothing to my bike, I rode it on a sunny afternoon like I usually do and then parked her in the garage.

Later on, I tried to starting it up. Nothing. I figured the battery was dead so I plugged in the battery tender. It kicked an error code saying that there was a problem with the battery. Ok. New battery. I went and bought a new battery and installed. Same thing. No power, battery tender kicking the same code.

I've checked the main fuse and ignition fuses and both are good. Not sure where to move forward from here, so any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Did the bike set a diagnostic code? If you haven't checked it, check.

When you say no power, what comes on in the starting sequence and what doesn't? Does the dash work? Does the fuel pump prime?

I'd check, clean and resistance test all the switches (clutch, side stand, on/off) in the staring circuit. Disassemble and clean all contacts. Check that harness connection on the right side along the frame that hides behind the radiator.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start   Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start Empty

Back to top Go down

Instrument cluster won't turn on, bike won't start
Page 1 of 1