Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

high speed cruising questions

Go down 
+14
dugsgms
mlacey56
Bgunn
X-Racer
asheville thumper
motokid
greer
bcpaul
Crawdaddy
matttys
YZEtc
Pancho
skierd
clapped_r6
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
clapped_r6

clapped_r6

high speed cruising questions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: high speed cruising questions   high speed cruising questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 8:39 pm

test ride done, much better than stock!

HF's Ultimate airbox mod, FMF programmer, hogged out stock exhaust.

before holding a GPS 70-75 was basically WFO,

now it's more like 3/4 throttle, plus some actual midrange passing power!
Back to top Go down
texascycle

texascycle

high speed cruising questions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: high speed cruising questions   high speed cruising questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 6:36 pm

I think it has all been covered already in the previous posts, but I will throw in my take on it.

Technically speaking, the motor is perfectly capable of running at that speed all day long so long as the following are in check:

1) Sufficient fresh motor oil
2) Sufficient coolant
3) Sufficient fuel
4) Sufficient arse

The piston speed at a true 75mph is quite safe. Think of all the 4 cylinder 600cc bikes out. They are running the same rpm (or higher) at those speeds and I know folks who have ridden cross country and back without skipping a beat on those.

Really it boils down to where you are riding to, why you are riding there, and is this your only bike? From where I live, the better places to ride are an hour away or more. I do not have a problem slabbin it at 80 (indicated) for an hour so I can trail ride the rest of the day ... but I would not want to ride all day on the slab. Its just too boring and pointless. The precious semi-knobs will be evaporating while looking around at the scenery going by ... but if it is your only bike and thats where you wanna go ... then it will do it ... so long as you have enough of #4 above.

As for the WOT speed ... perhaps it is your altitude? I live in central TX and the altitude is between 800 and 3000 feet most place I ride. But when I am on the slab, without a strong head wind, I can cruise at an indicated 80 mph with ease, and still getting 65 mpgs. When I need to, I can see better than 90 regularly ... but at that speed, the mpgs go way down. Tucked down on a calm day, runs between 95 and 100 (again, indicated). I do have a handle bar mounted gps and yes, like most every other bike out there, the speedo is approximately 10% higher. I just try to stay away from the cagers that are too zippy for me and find some slower ones to hang out with.
Back to top Go down

high speed cruising questions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2