Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

need some help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

need some help Empty
PostSubject: need some help   need some help EmptySun May 10, 2020 4:06 pm

I have a 2017 wr250r also proud owner of a xt250 that never quits on me 12,000 miles and counting. my wr250r has felt like a lemon since I've bought it. after 7500 miles I found I had to have the engine rebuilt (for free). Now i was offroading a couple weeks ago on snowmobile ile trails because of stay at home order and it ran hot which is normal. On the way home at a stop light it died and I had to fetch my truck to pick it up. I got error code 15 and 21. not worried about 15 so I I disassembled it and saw I had no coolant in reservoir. cant remember in radiator. so I did a coolant flush topped it off and it started. I was able to erase error codes but am not sure that I fixed the problem so I brought it in to a dealer and they said dont go far and ride and watch to see if it eats coolant. i honestly ride hard and long and never had problems like this with my xt250. everything is stock except for hdb hanguards. do you have any thoughts on the route I should take
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySun May 10, 2020 4:47 pm

What happened when it died at the stoplight?
What does it mena when you say it runs hot? Does it regularly puke coolant, or throw the high temp light in the dash?

Its pretty important to know if it had coolant in the radiator or not, but something is still of if it drains the overflow tank.
I'd have the dealer that rebuilt the bike look at it again.

Have you verified that your fan spins? You cant go by sound, as the fan motor can spin inside the blades, not turning the fan. So you need to see it actually spin.
Back to top Go down

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptyFri May 15, 2020 2:08 pm

it just cut out no warning lights or anything. the next day after I let it sit I flushed coolant then I was able to erase error codes 15 and 21 and it fired up. it likes to kick the fan on ALOT. their was coolant in the radiator but the reservoir. my fan spins
Back to top Go down
johnkol

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySat May 16, 2020 2:16 am

There is definitely something wrong with that motor; I've run mine hard in the summer desert and never had overheating problems. If it was rebuilt by the dealer, then the dealer is the best source for addressing the problems that arise from a less-than-ideal rebuilt. Is there a reason you are not taking it there and trying to troubleshoot it on your own?
Back to top Go down

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySat May 16, 2020 1:43 pm

dealers in my state dont really allow that. so I guess I'll just have to call them up and have them look into it
Back to top Go down
johnkol

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySun May 17, 2020 1:02 am

Northstar wrote:
dealers in my state dont really allow that.  so I guess I'll just have to call them up and have them look into it

There is some information missing here: what is that your state does not allow? Wasn't it a dealer that rebuilt the engine?
Back to top Go down

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySun May 17, 2020 3:28 am

I thought he meant go to dealer and work on bike with them. i can only tell them what i have found and what i have done to improve the bikes status so they can then take a look at it. i brought it in yesterday and they will be taking a look at it for free
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySun May 17, 2020 6:05 am

Did you buy the bike new or used?

Why was the engine rebuilt at 7,500 miles?
What happened that required a rebuild?
What was replaced?

Are the radiators clean and straight (not packed with dirt and bent from crashes)?
Back to top Go down

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySun May 17, 2020 8:11 am

I bought it spankin new. I believe their is a issue that cant be found that's causing all this. the radiator and everything that goes with it is fine. I own the actual manual and have dug as far into the bike as I'm willing at the moment for the level I am. the dealership doesnt know why the engine died on me. they literally told me that to my face, said they couldnt figure it out. I asked them for 7500 miles how does the inside look and they told me it looked just fine. they replaced the piston and gaskets a full engine rebuild because I lost compression they said since I still have it under warranty that it would be easier to replace everything probably because they themselves didnt know the issue. the one thing that bugs me is the mechanics always talk like it's a straight dirtbike so parts should be replaced after hours of use.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySun May 17, 2020 11:32 am

Just to make sure I have your reply straight:

Your engine lost compression and the dealership that did the repair work does not know why that happened.

Am I correct?
Back to top Go down

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySun May 17, 2020 11:51 am

a part failed but they do not know how it was possible because everything was in good condition
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySun May 17, 2020 6:02 pm

Did they tell you what part failed and caused this?
Back to top Go down

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySun May 17, 2020 6:08 pm

yes. I will post later in the week so I can get the correct info. the only part is they dont know what caused it. that's the whole problem with the engine rebuild they know what failed but do not know what could have caused it. the dealer I bring it too is closed on mondays so I'll have to call on tuesday. I dont have the written report anymore honestly. I figured I was back to square 1 so I will call them and ask for a detailed summary of what they did.
Back to top Go down

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySun May 17, 2020 6:19 pm

honestly I asked them NUMEROUS times they said it was very unusual. they know the part that failed but dont know why it could have in the first place. I have brought my bike in to EVERY dealer around my area in the state and they have treated me the best so FAR. 1the only problem I personally have seen is that they view it as a straight up dirtbike when it is not personally i believe that inhibits them from seeing the bigger picture because i personally lack the skills at the moment. i will post a detailed report on what they did ASAP. I will call them on tuesday to get the full intel.
Back to top Go down

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptySun May 17, 2020 6:20 pm

honestly I asked them NUMEROUS times they said it was very unusual. they know the part that failed but dont know why it could have in the first place. I have brought my bike in to EVERY dealer around my area in the state and they have treated me the best so FAR. the only problem I personally have seen is that they view it as a straight up dirtbike when it is not personally i believe that inhibits them from seeing the bigger picture because i personally lack the skills at the moment. i will post a detailed report on what they did ASAP. I will call them on tuesday to get the full intel.
Back to top Go down

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptyThu May 21, 2020 1:11 pm

need some help Smarts10
Back to top Go down
johnkol

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptyThu May 21, 2020 3:01 pm

This looks like the work done for the top end rebuild, what was their diagnosis for the current problem?
Back to top Go down

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptyThu May 21, 2020 3:16 pm

contacted them earlier today. they will be getting to it today
Back to top Go down
Monica

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptyThu May 21, 2020 5:20 pm

So, what part failed?

I'm reading a lot of run-around.
Back to top Go down

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help EmptyThu May 21, 2020 7:29 pm

because everyone is asking why my bike had to be rebuilt it was the crank position sensor. right now for why my bike is in it was the coolant temperature sensor that I brought it in to get checked out
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

need some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help   need some help Empty

Back to top Go down

need some help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: What Broke?-
Jump to: