Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
scgmc

ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP Empty
PostSubject: ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP   ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP EmptyTue Jun 02, 2020 7:24 pm

I'm a barely intermediate rider. I've only been riding bikes for 11 years total. Started trail riding on a '86 Honda XR250R when I was 40. Soon added a CR230F. Two years later I bought an '09 Yamaha WR250R dual sport and have owned it for 9 years. I ride it to work occasionally and on forest roads or sightseeing when truck camping. I like to take my girlfriend with me 2 up on those rides. Unfortunately, even with my Seat Concepts upgrade, she doesn't find this bike comfortable for more than 20 minutes and it gets a little squirrely in the wind with both of us on it. If there is anything I can say bad about my Yamaha, it's that the single is a little "buzzy" and the light weight does seem to be affected by wind quite a bit. For instance, I don't feel comfortable on interstates with it...but that's not my intended purpose for it. We don't long distance and we don't bike camp- we just tour a bit.

So I don't want to get rid of my WR, but I'd like to pick up a cheap and reliable 90% street/10% dirt bike for touring that me and my girl can both be comfortable on for riding through the mountains, back roads, and very occasional light off road. Maybe something that knocks a little more wind off us and isn't squirrely in the wind would be a bonus. This will be my 2 up bike. Being 51, I'm concerned that too powerful or too heavy a bike would be beyond my ability especially carrying a passenger. I'm 6'1", 210lb and she's 5'1", 130lb.

So my question to those more experienced than me, particularly 2 up riders...
For $5,000ish, what would YOU buy to meet these 2 up comfort and reliability needs?

Last edited by scgmc on Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP   ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP EmptyFri Jun 05, 2020 4:48 pm

So youre asking in a wr250r specific forum, about what bike to get because you dont want a wr250r?
Any streetbike will do if the 10% is only gravel and light offroad, which I presume since you got the girlfriend at the back.
Take the girlfriend out a try a few, find something you both like.

I dont know what available at your location. A friend just got a used bandit 600 with rack, sidecases ect for 1500 bucks.
Back to top Go down
scgmc

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP   ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP EmptyFri Jun 05, 2020 5:34 pm

You’re a strange cat, Jens. You give smart ass replies then kinda try and give a bit of advice. Why not just the advice? Are you always an antagonist in real life or just get bursts of courage when behind a keyboard?
Read my post again and you will see I do NOT want to get rid of my WRR. I just want to add a second street bike for riding 2 up.
Something reliable, cheap, and comfortable. Plenty of people on here have two bikes and post about them and have experience riding 2 up with those bikes. I was asking those members what they would buy if they had $5,000. Apparently you’re not one of those people my post was intended to reach.
Back to top Go down
Monica

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP   ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 5:27 am

Consider a mid-sized (or larger if you like) ADV tourer. There are lots of folks in my group who have Vstroms, BMWs and KTMs as their long distance bikes if they aren't on their dual sports. They make solo camping trips with cargo loaded. Or 2up their significant other when it is a more street/light off pavement trip.

In that class you'll certainly need to do your homework as far as seat comfort, cost, weight etc. But you'll have a good selection to look through.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP   ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 5:59 pm

I have multiple bikes, but what good does it do you that i have a wr450f? Shog

Also, what good does it do you that someone uses X bike, if your girlfriend hate it, or theyre not available where you are.

Its not about beeing smart ass, It just seem unlogical to ask about a non wr250r, on a wr250r forum, when your need is so specific, and barely has something to do with a dualsport anyway.

10 year old Street bikes are cheap, and hold their value great. I've seen plenty buy one, ride it a few years, and sell it for what they gave for it. My friend just traded in his bandit, and got 500$ more at the dealer, than he gave for it.
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP   ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP EmptyMon Jun 08, 2020 10:19 am

You seem to be a big lad, and your missus a petit lass...a mid sized enduro bike will not cause any problems on basic trails and definitely no trouble on tarmac.

Don't know what's cheap or available in your neck of the woods, nor have you explained what sort of milage you plan on riding with your significant other. You could try a Yamaha XT600, XT660R, XT660Z. BMW 650GS. Suzuki DL 650. Honda Transalp. Kawasaki KLR 650 and so on...all mid range enduro bikes...
Back to top Go down
scgmc

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP   ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP EmptyWed Jun 17, 2020 2:14 pm

Thanks for all the bike recommendations. Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP   ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP Empty

Back to top Go down

ADVICE NEEDED: COMFORTABLE TWO UP BIKE ON THE CHEAP
Page 1 of 1