Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Synthetic Oil vs Standard

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ShootFish

Synthetic Oil vs Standard Empty
PostSubject: Synthetic Oil vs Standard   Synthetic Oil vs Standard EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 11:59 am

Not sure if this will help settle the argument but here goes.  I just recently purchased a new WR250R 2020 and am coming up on 500 miles.  The manual recommends first oil change at 600 miles but I am doing mine at 500.  I went in to the Yamaha motorcycle dealership to pick up my tags and spoke with the mechanic supervisor (friend of a friend kind of thing) who not only put my bike together but also happens to own a 2014 WR250R and asked him the best thing for the bike if money were no object.  He told me that on the FIRST oil change to stick with Yamalube standard 10w-40 and an OEM filter so the bike can continue breaking in at the exact specs it was built and tested for.  He said at 3000 miles (manual recommends 4000 miles) switch to Full Synthetic and OEM filter and change the oil and filter every 3000 miles after even though the synthetic is good for much longer than 3000 miles.  He also said to disregard the manuals recommendations for only changing the filter every other oil change, common sense.  You change the oil, you change the filter. He also said that there is no reason to upgrade the filter (OEM is fine but no generic knockoffs) because I am changing it so often following this routine but adding a magnetic drain bolt can help identify problems before they become major. I am not a pro mechanic although I am handy with a wrench so I cannot back this up with any tech data I have procured.  This is simply from a Yamaha dealership motorcycle mechanic supervisor/ WR owner, to Me, to You, if you are interested.  Also keep in mind that he never said the bike would fall apart if this routine was not followed but I asked him to tell me the absolute best way I could treat my new baby if money and time were of no concern and that is the answer he gave me. As a new member I am hoping to get all kinds of helpful tips and in return I will share what I learn.  Thx.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Synthetic Oil vs Standard   Synthetic Oil vs Standard EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 8:08 pm

Welcome aboard.

My advice:
If you are doing off-road riding, change the oil and service the air filter more often than shown in the Owner's Manual.
In my opinion, the maintenance schedule shown in the manual is for street riding.

ShootFish likes this post

Back to top Go down
ShootFish

PostSubject: Re: Synthetic Oil vs Standard   Synthetic Oil vs Standard EmptyThu Jul 16, 2020 7:50 am

Yup! The mechanic loves his WR and simply said, keep her clean and covered when not riding and follow a strict maintenanc schedule and she will "LOVE YOU LONG TIME". Spoken like a true mechanic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Synthetic Oil vs Standard   Synthetic Oil vs Standard Empty

Back to top Go down

Synthetic Oil vs Standard
Page 1 of 1