Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRX Low engine temperature

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hackpizza

WRX Low engine temperature Empty
PostSubject: WRX Low engine temperature   WRX Low engine temperature EmptyThu Apr 22, 2021 4:04 am

Hello im new to this forum, Im 35yrs old and im from northern germany (sorry for my bad englisch).

Since two years i own a 08 X and i use it for daily commuting to work (~10miles).
I wanted to know when the enige reaches its operating temperatur, so i bought a oiltemperaturgauge and a radiatorcapgauge.
The Watertemperature climbing quite fast to 65-70°C (150-158F) but wont go over it. The oiltemperatue goes to 55-60°C (130-140F). I retested the temperatures with a IR handdevice. But it stucks there, it wont climb over this temperatures. Even when i do longer trips.
The streets are winde and straight here, so my driving is more calm. In vilages 36mph and outa ~62mph.

Is this normal or i have to worry about a thermostatmalfunction?
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: WRX Low engine temperature   WRX Low engine temperature EmptyThu Apr 22, 2021 8:56 pm

Thermostat starts opening around 70C, so if it was a cold day, it makes sense that the temperature did not rise much more than this.

An easy way to check is to just idle the bike and wait for the temperature to rise; after about ten minutes the temperature should have risen enough that the fan comes on. While performing this experiment, you can monitor the coolant temperature by going into Diagnostic Mode, Code 6.
Back to top Go down
Hackpizza

PostSubject: Re: WRX Low engine temperature   WRX Low engine temperature EmptyFri Apr 23, 2021 4:28 am

Ok, thx for the advice. I found a service manual, the thermostat starts at 70.5–73.5°C and should complete opened at ~85°C, i will test it.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: WRX Low engine temperature   WRX Low engine temperature EmptyFri Apr 23, 2021 9:49 pm

Let us know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Hackpizza

PostSubject: Re: WRX Low engine temperature   WRX Low engine temperature EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 4:24 am

Sorry for the late reply.

I bought a new thermostat, just to be safe. I tested both ones in hot water (measured not while heating rather cooling down.)
Both works normaly, open at ~70°C, full open at 85°.

I Put cardboard in front of the cooler, now the water temperature is around 80°C, if i spur a mount, it goes up to 90°C.
But the oiltemperature doesnt went over 70°C at all.

So i accepted it, maybe its just normal dunno

Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: WRX Low engine temperature   WRX Low engine temperature EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 5:56 pm

An easy way to check is to just let the bike idle; after about 15 minutes the temperature will be high enough for the fan to come on, so then you know that everything is working as it should.
Back to top Go down
BenWRR

PostSubject: Re: WRX Low engine temperature   WRX Low engine temperature EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 12:09 pm

This past winter, when I would be riding in temps below 40F, I'd zip tie a "magic carpet" snow sled over the radiator louver to stop the cold airflow getting to the radiator as I had learned from my Beta snowbike that running cold would make the FI run rich and overfuel. I'd get home and reek like exhaust. Blocking off the radiators helped to keep the engine at the correct running temperature as running the engine cold was not really good for it.

Now, with temperatures over 40F, I have taken the radiator blocker off until next winter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRX Low engine temperature   WRX Low engine temperature Empty

Back to top Go down

WRX Low engine temperature
Page 1 of 1