Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum
Share | 

WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
dbparti

PostSubject: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:57 pm

Just had the 290cc Big Bore Kits from Athena installed on my WR250R today. I bought the kit from my local Yamaha dealer for $770.00, they charged me 4 hours labor for the install. The kit comes with a EFI fuel management pre programmed for the kit. I did not install it since I have a FMF Programmer. I picked my bike up this afternoon road it home about 15 miles. I took it pretty easy for the first 10 miles, and did not really go past half throttle. I am very impressed with the increased torque. The last few miles to the house, I opened it up in six gear to about 3/4 throttle. I hit 82 indicated on level ground which is actually 77mph. I had plenty of throttle left and the engine was not loading down at all. I cant wait to put some miles on tomorrow, I could not get the smile off my face when I got home. I did a lot of research about whether to go with a TR or Athena Big Bore. Just FYI the mechanics that installed the kit said the kit was very well made and complete. There was a post on Thumper talk that said the Athena cylinder skirt was only 1.5mm compared to the TR that is 3mm, that is incorrect, the Athena is 3mm. Below are the mods on my WR before todays mod.

2008 WR250R:

FMF Programmer
FMF Q4
FMF PowerBomb
AIS removed
Flapper/solenoid removed
K&N Air Filter
Gearing: 13/43

I am going to tweak my FMF programmer settings tomorrow. I need a little more fuel on the bottm. I will post my results.

Dave

Last edited by dbparti on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pancho

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Congratulations! That sounds like a desirable mod. It's a shame around here it's almost impossible to get those kits....
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 am

Dave,

Congrats to you and thanks for posting. Please keep the info coming.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
jacque372

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:31 pm

anymore updates i'm thinking of getting this kit
Back to top Go down
dbparti

PostSubject: Update wr290R   Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:22 pm

I put 50 more miles today, a combo of pavement and dirt. I will tell you that the low end is much better than before, I have tons more power. The mid range pulls harder as well. I still have not gone to wide open throttle but I can go faster at 3/4 than I could ever go wide open. I have not changed my FMF settings yet. I do not regret spending the money on the Big Bore upgrade, I am pretty sure I picket up 25% more HP and Torque.
Back to top Go down
dbparti

PostSubject: Pictures of Aethena Big Bore Kit Installed   Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:48 pm

Here are pics

Back to top Go down
dbparti

PostSubject: FMF Settings for Big Bore Kit   Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:55 pm

I called Dobeck this morning, they manufacture the FMF Programmer for the WR250R/X. They provided me the correct settings for my 290 Big Bore upgrade. I have the FMF Q4 with Power Bomb Header and a K&N filter with moded Air Box. Before the kit I was using 3,4,1,8,4,4.5 with the big bore kit they recommended I change to 3,6,3,8,4,4.5

As you can see I did not change the last four, I added fuel for cruise, acceleration and top end. I went out and rode after I changed the setings and I cant believe how much power and speed I picked up. I'm serious this is a a whole new bike. I will post what my gas milleage is with the new settings.

What to mod next Mmmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Pancho

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:32 pm

Cool, did you had the "wr290r" decals custom made or they came with the kit?
Back to top Go down
dbparti

PostSubject: WR290R Decal   Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:15 pm

No its photo shop, I have not made a real one yet but I plan to...
Back to top Go down
mtb

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:06 am

Now.... where is my next pay cheque
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:01 am

dbparti wrote:
Here are pics

Congrats man.......that sounds/looks like a sweet set-up
Back to top Go down
dmulk

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:10 pm

Now....spoon some D606's on that thing and you'll gain even more power! :)

Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:30 am

This is great! I can't wait to hear more from you when you get it broken in some. Do you have any plans to get it on a dyno machine? I would love to see some numbers with that kit on.

By the way....I love that sticker too!
Back to top Go down
dbparti

PostSubject: Gas Milleage after first Tank   Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:41 am

My Fuel Light came on at 101 miles. Before the Big Bore upgrade my fuel light would come on at 105. So not much change. I have been taking it easy so I'm sure after I have the Head fully broken in, I will need to repost my results. I have been doing a lot of pavement driving around 65mph actual speed
Back to top Go down
jacque372

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:44 pm

i'm going to order one i have a buddy that owns a yamaha dealership i want to see what i can get it for. there is also a guy on you tube that has the kit installed acceleration looks alot better
Back to top Go down
sswrx

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:38 am

This sounds like a very promising & desireable mod for a lot of us on this forum. Wonder if we could get a group discount from Athena if we got together & all bought a kit? Another question that crossed my mind is what kind of power would you get if you added the MP Fab turbo kit to the same engine? Might be pushing the limits of the engines bottom end I think.
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:12 am

sswrx wrote:
This sounds like a very promising & desireable mod for a lot of us on this forum. Wonder if we could get a group discount from Athena if we got together & all bought a kit?

This is an idea. Any one got connections?
Back to top Go down
Money$hift

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Id be interested in getting pricing on a kit...
Back to top Go down
Noppy

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:56 am

I'd be interested in hearing a factory outlet price, without the EFI programmer.

I don't need it because I would toss it in the bin straight away.

Manufacturers are always a bit anxious to disrupt the commerce in their dealer channel, but this way they could still sell it at a normal price, but without the electronics.

Idea?
Back to top Go down
dbparti

PostSubject: Athena Page link to Dyno Run for wr Big Bore   Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:05 pm

According to the Dyno chart on Athena's Page HP is 31.. Thats a 7HP jump over OEM. I am not using the Athena EFI, I have the Dobeck from FMF. I have lots of Power. but I'm still having a very minor power hesitation going from mid to full throttle that I'm still working out. I bet I have more HP than 31....No access to a dyno

http://www.athena-ad.com/pdf/P400485100032_EN.pdf
[size=7]Athena [23,12 Kw / 31 HP]
[/size][size=7]Tests made with:
- Complete cylinder kit Ath ena D.83 mm;
- Complete LeoVince exhaust pipe;
- ATHEN A CDI unit.
[/size]
[size=7][size=7]OEM [17,75 Kw / 23,8 HP]
[/size][/size][size=7]- Tests made with stock engine;

- Oem exhaust pipe.
[/size]
Back to top Go down