Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help..

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wheycool

New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help.. Empty
PostSubject: New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help..   New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help.. EmptyFri Aug 26, 2022 7:11 pm

I just installed a 47 rear sprocket and a new 110 link chain. Now as I decelerate I get a whining sound which I think is it wearing on the top side of the chain slider protector. I have tried messing with the chain tension to where I thought was factory recommended (38-48mm). The end point seemed pretty tight. I had zero issues with the stock 43 rear sprocket.

I figured a 47 rear sprocket would actually increase the clearance from the swing arm to the chain but apparently it is not??

I am at a loss. And tired of dinking with it today. I am not sure if I just need to dial in the tension better OR do I just need to reset to a 14 front / XX rear sprocket.

PLEASE HELP. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help..   New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help.. EmptySat Aug 27, 2022 5:10 pm

As you said, this does not make sense since the bigger rear sprocket moves the chain further away from the chain slider.

What do you mean with the chain slack being 38-48 mm? Are you aware that Yamaha issued a Technical Bulletin specifying new method of checking chain slack? Are you using the old method?
Back to top Go down
wheycool

PostSubject: Re: New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help..   New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help.. EmptySat Aug 27, 2022 5:55 pm

I saw it in an old forum post or on a website. Somewhere. Not aware of a new bulletin - I found somewhere else that it should be 8-13mm from the swing arm when you press it up. And I tried that and loosening the chain. It seemed to help and maybe fix the problem I need to ride it again. Also monitor closely for any further wear. This is my first motorcycle so I am a noob.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help..   New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help.. EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 3:00 am

wheycool wrote:
I found somewhere else that it should be 8-13mm from the swing arm when you press it up.

Yes, that's the new method, 8-13 mm away from the swingarm when the chain is pressed upwards, midway between the front and rear sliders.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help..   New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help.. Empty

Back to top Go down

New Sprocket causing Wear on Chain slider... Help..
Page 1 of 1