Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Quieting down the skid plate buzz

Go down 
+5
dicklane625
csmart
WRRaptor
skybo1
wilburj
9 posters
AuthorMessage
wilburj

wilburj

Quieting down the skid plate buzz Empty
PostSubject: Quieting down the skid plate buzz   Quieting down the skid plate buzz EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 5:58 pm

Last night I tried something that really worked. The echo from the skid plate was bad I hated it. so I took it off and there was only the sweet wr250r sound. I looked over at my parts rack and noticed a nice foil backed foam laying there about 4-5mm thick. I applied a 3m spray on glue and cut strips to completely cover the inside of the plate put it back on and voila the sound of the echo was gone. If you don't like the echo you may want to give that stuff a try. wilburj
Back to top Go down
skybo1

PostSubject: skidplate silencing   Quieting down the skid plate buzz EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 1:16 pm

I used some self stick auto silencing from eb-y- a 12"X18" -used it all up

Quieting down the skid plate buzz Skidde10
Back to top Go down
WRRaptor

WRRaptor

PostSubject: Re: Quieting down the skid plate buzz   Quieting down the skid plate buzz EmptyThu Sep 29, 2016 8:48 pm

put some rubber foam strips between the frame and the skid and some rubber washers between the mounts where it bolts on cant hear a single thing its like the skid plate isn't even there thumb
Back to top Go down
csmart

csmart

PostSubject: Re: Quieting down the skid plate buzz   Quieting down the skid plate buzz EmptyFri Sep 30, 2016 7:55 am

I tried the foam, it worked for awhile. I ended up cutting some rubber hose and slicing it and putting it on the frame. so far better than foam
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Quieting down the skid plate buzz   Quieting down the skid plate buzz EmptyFri Dec 02, 2016 10:02 pm

I glued some cut up old tube to mine... It does still echo at certain rpms... I think it'd be called resonating, since it only happens at certain rpms... The good thing I've noticed is I can run a certain rpm at dusk/night, where I hear the feedback noise, and any deer around take off running around 1000 yards off... The noise is around 55/60 in 6th, so that's about perfect for nighttime dirt road rides. I consider it a governor for poor lighting conditions... I've had much closer calls with them before the skid plate install. I don't count on this working all the time, but so far it's worked great.
Back to top Go down
jbellyOH

PostSubject: Re: Quieting down the skid plate buzz   Quieting down the skid plate buzz EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 4:47 pm

I have the old version of the Flatland skid plate and first tried lining the entire thing with truck cap tape and cut tubes along the frame rails. still too much resonance for me. I'm still running stock exhaust with no air mods so you hear about anything. skid plate foam did the trick nicely though.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Quieting down the skid plate buzz   Quieting down the skid plate buzz EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 5:37 pm

I haven't had mine in co mode and rode around to see what rpm I get the resonation from. I am curious though. The noise I get I'd guess is around 3-4500rpms... I got used to it and kinda like it now. My setup it keeps me right around the perfect safe speed for dusk/night riding... This is the new sexier skid plate... Dunno if that matters for the noises it makes... I suppose it would make some difference...
Back to top Go down
Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Quieting down the skid plate buzz   Quieting down the skid plate buzz EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 1:07 am

I painted the inside of my Flatland skid plate with Plastic Dip Black Rubber Coating (Home Depot), brush on, 3 coats about 1/8" to 3/16" thick total, and then put this sticky gum like metal building sealer on the lower frame rails about 3/16" thick, and then put garden hose washers between the skid plate and screw receivers .. good to go for sure.    Quieting down the skid plate buzz Img_1510
Quieting down the skid plate buzz Img_1511
Back to top Go down
Elm

PostSubject: Re: Quieting down the skid plate buzz   Quieting down the skid plate buzz EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 pm

skybo1 wrote:
I used some self stick auto silencing from eb-y- a 12"X18" -used it all up

Did the same. Mongoose Mat from Auto supplies. WOW what a difference. Sticky tar with aluminium surface.
Quieting down the skid plate buzz Img_1310
Back to top Go down
Braaap_the_Casbah

Braaap_the_Casbah

PostSubject: Re: Quieting down the skid plate buzz   Quieting down the skid plate buzz EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 9:23 am

If you buy a B&B Offroad one, you don't have to worry about this, their bash plate is pre-insulated.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Quieting down the skid plate buzz   Quieting down the skid plate buzz EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 9:52 am

Braaap_the_Casbah wrote:
If you buy a B&B Offroad one, you don't have to worry about this, their bash plate is pre-insulated.

https://bboffroad.com.au/products/bash-plates?model=128

note AUD price
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quieting down the skid plate buzz   Quieting down the skid plate buzz Empty

Back to top Go down

Quieting down the skid plate buzz
Page 1 of 1