Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

The Tire Thread

Go down 
+45
Fly man
oldschoolsdime92
JLink
Rusty Shovel
Biglake
LordEndo
R2-DTOUR
Horsman
Knuck
Marioscario
mordicai
chkMINUS
soggytire
competition
gatorfan
cryptomundo
rmax
taoshum
inspector
Ozy
Machtig
PYG RYDR
Mr.Metal
duanew
greer
Krabill
malibu_dan
BluePill
clapped_r6
dont437
Matty
Buzzbomber
granite4brains
LacRouge
skierd
rodney
eyty
BPG
aaronhall555
BigBird
SpiritWolf15
Chrispy1200
jason meacham
YZEtc
SheWolf
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Marioscario

The Tire Thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi All. These new Mitas C16/C17 are the cat's meow!!! The traction is awesome. Really nice in the corners in sandy stuff, nice clearning tire in the mud, plus I only paid $160 Can for both, delivered taxes, etc all in. They're noisier and a bit less stable
on the highway than the TW's . I do a fair bit of local trail riding so the improvement on the dirt totally outweighs the slight drop in road performance. Thanx for the testimonial SheWolf.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:51 pm

No worries. I like to test stuff out all the time. Very happy

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 11:25 am

SheWolf

Whats your verdict on the Pirelli on the dirt compared to the Mitas?
Back to top Go down
Horsman

Horsman

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 6:57 pm

I am currently rolling with MT21s on the WRR(i kinda like them * way better than the Deathwings) -- Should I go with the Mitas? Can I get away with just changing the rear MT21 with a Mitas (or will I kill myself because they are two different brands?). Are the Mitas really good in Soft Sand like in Moab? If not, what tire would be the best for a combination of Moab's Slick rock & sand at the same time??? Please HALLLP!!! thanks guys, Horsman GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 7:06 am

My current R rear tire is a Michelin T-63 130-80-18. I got 4500+ miles on it now. Great mileage and does well except mud.

T-63 is also available in OEM size 120-80-18.

Considering buying another one, but not sure which size.

Anyone try both sizes and have a recommendation?

TIA
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 7:32 am

Anyone try running a Dunlop D908RR Dual Sport Rear Tire-140-80-18?

TIA
Back to top Go down
R2-DTOUR

R2-DTOUR

PostSubject: Mitas C16 or C18   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 6:26 pm

I have been reading over the tire thread and was planning on going with the c16 combo shewolf was using for her shootout. I currently have deathwings and have been riding more and more dirt lately, at most I ride an hour (rarely two) max on twisty highway (think Squamish - Pemberton) to trails. thing is, I called the shop to order and they said..... "you dont want those... you want the c18, the c16 is too hard" and "consider a c19 or 21 for the front"

I want a tire that is fun in the dirt and still fun/safe in the twisties up to 70/80kph. don't really care if it lasts a long time I don't clock a lot of kms. I know that I have to compromise to have a tire that does both dirt and street.

comments on the c18 or a solid suggestion of another tire?
for use in the vancouver/squamish/whistler rainy climate.

thanx
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: New Tire   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 8:04 pm

I just recieved yesterday a 140 Heidenau Scout. Looks fabulous and I've read great things about it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 8:39 pm

I just ordered a new set of D606 tires from RockyMountainATV.com

Cost was just under $170 for the pair. My current set has lasted quite well considering the abuse (and asphalt) they get. There's still some meat left on them, but I expect to burn them off in the next few weeks... I like having a new set on hand rather than waiting until I really need them.

I am a big fan of the T63 also, and have run through 3 sets on my DR650. These are awesome for the money ($63 each). I will probably use them on a Baja trip planned for next winter (for which I will take the WR).
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: C-17   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 12:58 pm

I tried a Mita C-17. Looked like a great tire, but wore out in a weird way with the center knobs wearing down to nothing every other 3-4 knob. I will not buy this tire again.
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Chose Scorpion XCMS   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 2:35 pm

After much....much.....(seriously I can't put this into words).....much deliberation, I chose Scorpion XCMS front and rear. It was Scorpion Pro, Scorpion XCMS, or Mitas C17 red stripe front and XT-754 rear. Sizes I was all over the place. I'm still searching for the perfect gear ratio/tire size combo. I'm a bit bummed that I didn't go with the Mitas as the local supplier here in BC supports our DSBC club quite strongly. But, in the end, DOT, price and history with my Pirelli MT-21's were the determining factors. Big shout out to MX1 Canada for their support and information even though I chose otherwise this time around. I'll likely give the Mitas a shake next time around for comparison.

I'm currently running 90/90 front MT-21 and 130/90 rear MT-21. It's been a good combo for a full season. The rear is probably about 50% and I noticed hookup wasn't as good now that we're entering the monsoon season here in BC. I plan to keep these tires and put them on again when the Scorpions wear out in the summertime. Then new mud eaters again next fall.

So I bought front Scorpion XCMS 80/100-21 and rear Scorpion XCMS 120/80-18. Sadly it's about $80 less than buying here in Canada. I don't want to get into a discussion on x-border shopping 'cause I'm dependant on Canadian mfg, but in some cases I cross to the dark side.

I've been running a 12t front sprocket for a year and recently added a 47t rear sprocket. It's a pretty big change - maybe too much, we'll see. Currently I'm thinking 13t front, 47t rear, and a 110/90 rear tire would be the magic spot, but we'll see. I've only had one ride on the lower gear ratio so it'll take a little getting used to. Three days of mud riding this weekend in Chilliwack coming up so we'll see what the prognosis is. Hopefully the tires make it in time...... Pics of the mount up and ensuing ride coming - stay tuned.

Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Just an fyi incase it matters the xcms rear is NOT DOT like the matching front is, all pirelli front tires are DOT but only some rears are.

Im curruntly running a 110/100 mt16 rear its huge and not DOT but does it ever hook up in the nasty stuff:thumb: , I have 13-50 gearing, I liked it with a tiny rear tire (100/100 tm2) but it feels tall offroad with the big mt16.
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Felt like I was cheating.....   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 9:50 pm

New tires are always good - but these were just flat out awesome. I was using probably 1/2 the energy compared to before. Always hooked up and could just tractor my way up the gnar....

The Tire Thread - Page 7 Ian_zps63632b83
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 9:46 am

Hey all,

I switched to Distanza's a few weeks ago so I wouldn't chew up my MT21/D606's during my 60 mile daily commute. The Distanza's are a great road tire. My little WRR feels almost like a road bike.

But...then I took them to Sam Houston National Forest. I was teaching my 14-year-old son to ride his first motorcycle (a KLX140L). I figured I wouldn't need dirt tires since my son wouldn't get too gnarly on his first lesson and the Distanzas would do fine for light trail riding. I was wrong on both counts.

On the plus side, my son was a natural. He's in love with his new bike (which he has been saving towards for the last two years). He quickly graduated from dirt roads and wanted to ride the sandy single track.

The Distanzias were fine on the dirt roads, but the single track was clearly beyond their design. I washed out and dropped it, breaking my clutch perch in the process. Dang. I need a new set of rims so I can swap out quickly.
Back to top Go down
JLink

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 3:42 pm

SheWolf wrote:
All I can say is wow... The Tire Thread - Page 7 640571 Dunlop's got a fierce competitor with this tire!  StoneEaters are mounted on the bike, and I'm trying something new called DynaBeads.  They're tiny ceramic bead that go inside the tube or tire instead of using rim weights and are more friendly.  
I took the bike out for a rip up to the local MX track to see how these new meats fare against the 606's.  Both tires I've got 18 psi, to make a fair comparison on both sets of tires from new, both on and offroad with the same pressure.  On the pavement there, the tires are very stable and amazingly quieter than the 606 considering the ginormous knobbies on them.  Cornering was tight and smooth, no squirminess and a decent side rail.  I managed to wear off the tits on the outside knobs on both tires. The Tire Thread - Page 7 810411 Off pavement I was immediately impressed with the hookup; not just with the rear but the front.  Cornering on loose gravel they bit right in and held true, where the 606 seemed to like to wander a bit.  Once at the track, I started to play around with them a bit.  First I hit the sand because that was the first thing I came to.  DAYUM!  No comparison in traction, the StoneEater front connected hard and stuck all the way thru the carve.  I would have been eating sand had I done that with the 606 up front, even with less air.  The rear was flinging stuff over my head.  On to the loose loam.  Again, the front cut in hard and held the cornering with no feel of washout.  I hit a few wet roots and rocks but they bit in and over.  There was a decent sized mud hole at the far end so I attacked that like a rabid dog.  Incredible cleaning capability!  I had mud chunks raining all over me and those big knobs pulled me right thru to the other side.  I didn't have to fight the steering at all.  6 more runs thru it and I decided that it now needs to rain more. The Tire Thread - Page 7 93746 Across the road to the other side where there are some decent granite rock faces that terrace up in a few spots, which was a nice test to go up, stop, continue up and then onto a tight needle, bark and rock littered trail to the top.  They stuck.  Like glue.  No slippage anywhere thru the whole ascent to the top.  I'm thinking those little depressions in the tread are like suction cups because they sure weren't trying to let loose.  I had the 606 break loose a few times going up rock faces but they did grab after a bit and keep going.  
So I guess all that I have left to compare after this is wear life, and wet pavement.  The 606 will be hard to beat, but I guess we'll see in another 5000 miles or so. The Tire Thread - Page 7 61865If someone has anything they would like for me to test with this tire, feel free to shoot.  

So, the comparison so far on a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being excellent):

Sand:
606 rear: 8
606 front: 5
C16 rear: 9
C17 front: 8

Loose gravel:
606 rear: 10
606 front: 6
C16 rear: 10
C17 front: 9

Loam:
606 front: 7

Rock:

Mud:

Roots:
606 rear: 7
606 front: 6
C16 rear: 9
C17 front: 8

Pavement (dry):
606 front: 10
C17 front: 10

Cornering (dry):
606 front: 10
C17 front: 10

So far me likey. The Tire Thread - Page 7 619190 Now I have to go wash off my lid and my face from all the mud.
Thanks for the review on these tires! I need new tires and I found the 606s for $170 shipped, however since I can't find the stone eaters in the usa I have to order them from canada. Mx1 canada has them for $220 shipped.

Anyone that's used them, are they worth the extra $50? And are these prices comparable to what you've seen elsewhere or are my prices above average?

Thanks

-Josh
Back to top Go down
oldschoolsdime92

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 9:05 pm

anyone running a pure off-road mx based tire? My bike will never see the street with the 18/21 combo. I've been looking at the AT81s and the mx31s. I currently have mx31s, but they are old and dried out.
Back to top Go down
Fly man

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 2:03 pm

mordicai wrote:
I just recieved yesterday a 140 Heidenau Scout. Looks fabulous and I've read great things about it.

Hi. Any update you can share on how this tire is working out? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 10:32 am

oldschoolsdime92 wrote:
anyone running a pure off-road mx based tire? My bike will never see the street with the 18/21 combo. I've been looking at the AT81s and the mx31s. I currently have mx31s, but they are old and dried out.

I run tires that happen to be dot.

I like the kenda washaugal front and the motoz tractionator st and it (they're dot) or pirelli mt16 rears, the kenda trackmaster rears ok too and dot.

Off road tires need to suit your terrain, find out what others run in your area. The ones im running are used by lots of guys I ride/race with around here because they work good, we have a combo of mud, roots, rocks and sometimes sand.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 12:47 pm

Biglake wrote:
Just an fyi incase it matters the xcms rear is NOT DOT like the matching front is, all pirelli front tires are DOT but only some rears are.

Im curruntly running a 110/100 mt16 rear its huge and not DOT but does it ever hook up in the nasty stuff:thumb: , I have 13-50 gearing, I liked it with a tiny rear tire (100/100 tm2) but it feels tall offroad with the big mt16.

I run XCMH tires. The front is DOT and the rear 110/100-18 is DOT as well.
Back to top Go down
chottinger83

PostSubject: Dual Set-up   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm sure somebody has tried this, so I'll ask. I'm thinking a serious dirt tire in the back, probably D606, and a serious street tire, Distanzia or Shinko 707 or something. I ride down highways to and from school most the time and I ride in gravel/rough rocks every two weekends or so, whenever I get a chance. I don't want to constantly alternate between tires, and the TWs just aren't doing it for me anymore. It's either this set-up, or the TKC80s. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 8:59 pm

Get some IRC TR8 tires, 1/2 way between a 606 and a tkc80 and much cheaper than either. thumb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyFri Dec 25, 2015 2:20 am

I've run the TR8's here spring to fall, and they're a big improvement over the trailwings. Make sure you air them down for the dirt or they like to skate on the surface. Not a bad tire for the street at all. They feel comfortable leaning way over, but they like pavement grooves. Air them up for the pavement and down for the dirt, and they're a pretty good compromise tire in my opinion. NOT a desert tire though, they don't like loose dirt/sand/dust on top of the desert hardpack.

My Kenda Parker Desert Terrain tires just showed up today. Merry Christmas to me! I'll spoon them on next week and hope for a clear day to make a test run in the cold.

Back to top Go down
smurph

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 2:30 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Well, the Mitas C16/17 Stoneaters have come off my trusty ride, and have been replaced with these:
The Tire Thread - Page 7 Cimg0018

Bring in the Pirelli Scorpion Pro's, apparently the most aggressive DOT knobby on the market.  These things are pretty aggressive, I agree.   The compound is hard, so I'm hoping to get a good return from these.
Offroad...all I'm gonna say is it's the next best thing to an orgasm. Very happy

Hey Shewolf - i've been following your tire reviews for some time now. How is this latest set holding up for you? Rating?

Thanks!

Smurph

Last edited by smurph on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : shortening msg)
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 3:22 pm

smurph wrote:

Hey Shewolf - i've been following your tire reviews for some time now. How is this latest set holding up for you? Rating?

Thanks!

Smurph

FYI - A quick look at her profile shows that Shewolf hasn't logged into this forum since November 2013.
Back to top Go down
smurph

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Well perhaps i'll be the one to drag her out of the forest to her keyboard! :)

Thanks for the info though. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tire Thread   The Tire Thread - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Tire Thread
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next