Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

mod may have killed electrics - now desperate

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
flo

PostSubject: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:26 am

Hello from the UK.
I've got turn signals working and the fuel pump pumps but no lights, no digital display and no horn.
Checked main and individual fuses and all ok.

I had fitted a tidy tail and all was ok - now license plate LED blown too.
Refitting standard tail to go back to dealer workshop.

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Regards,
flo
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:07 am

So, what exactly lead to this?
Are you saying you installed a different taillight, everything worked for a while, and then without provocation those things quit working?
Back to top Go down
flo

PostSubject: Re: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:35 am

Hello YZetc.
Basically, yes.
I'd chopped in a pair of bullet connectors behind the connector block for the turn signals and license plate light.
All was working ok after installing the new evotech tidy tail.
All lights, horn, indicaters, display worked, engine turned over.
Then a click and then nothing.
I 've tested the LED once it was off the bike and that is ok contary to what I'd stated before.

I've spoken to the good people who make the tidy tail and there is nothing obviously wrong as I'd connected the unit OK.
They'd not heard of any such problems and can only put it down to my crimping skills.

I've put back the original tail and again used bullet connectors and still nothing just turn signals and fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider

PostSubject: Re: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:15 am

Did you check ALL the fuses again? I accidentally touched a hot wire to the frame way back when I did mods, and looked forever. Turned out to be one very small, red, 10a fuse that didn't look blown. I had to really look to see the break. Go over all your wiring again and check to make sure one of the crimped ends hasn't got s slice in it where it could contact the frame of ground out on something else. Usually when I'm doing connection changes, I use either shrink connectors or shrink tubing, or both. A bit of extra added security.

PostSubject: Re: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks for the advise SheWolf.
I used an analogue multi meter's continuity mode to check the fuses and the new wiring.
I even removed all license plate light wiring from the original connector block to elininate bad crimping.

I can't understand why I'd get the turn signals and the fuel pump working and non of the others.

Regards,
flo
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider

PostSubject: Re: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am

Hmmm....that is rather strange....just don't go bald from tearing your hair out by the roots. I wish I could offer more. Maybe one of the guys who's had similar troubles will pop on and lend assistance. I can't think of anything else, besides the wiring up front at the head. I know some have had connections come loose up there, so you could check that, I suppose.

PostSubject: Re: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:08 am

Hi flo.

Sorry I've only just picked up your PM this morning as I've been out of the office for a bit.

When i fitted my tail tidy i disconnected the number plate light wiring from the plug which is under the seat ,half way along the l/h frame rail.
The wires for the LED were to short and the connectors were the wrong size so i cut them off.
I then cut the correct length of wire from the original light (which already had the correct size connectors on it),solder/heat shrink the joints and away i went.

It really sounds to me that a fuse has blown.I'll check tonignt to see if there are more then one fusebox/holder and I'll pull the fuses until i find the one for the number plate light...and let you know.

Cheers for now,
Andy.
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

PostSubject: Re: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:16 am

These plugs are available btw, just in case you do not like to cut anything from stock harness:
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8781/kabel.jpg
Back to top Go down
flo

PostSubject: Re: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am

oh the embarressment of it all..............
I thought I'd give the basics one last shot before tackling relays, harnesses, ECU etc.
Low and behold the bloody 10 amp fuse had blown.
Not quite sure under what circumstances but I swear they were all good the first time I checked.
Anyway, bikes fine and tidy tail looks great.

Apologies and thanks to those who relied

Regards,
flo,
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider

PostSubject: Re: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:52 am

It was that small red one, wasn't it... Little bastard did it to me too.

PostSubject: Re: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:49 pm

Glad it all worked out. Now the rest of us know to watch out for that little red devil.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:03 am

flatboarder wrote:
These plugs are available btw, just in case you do not like to cut anything from stock harness:
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8781/kabel.jpg

Where can you purchase the electrical connectors for the tail/turns?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mod may have killed electrics - now desperate   

Back to top Go down

mod may have killed electrics - now desperate
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1