Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Quiet Skid Plate

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Karlb

Quiet Skid Plate Empty
PostSubject: Quiet Skid Plate   Quiet Skid Plate EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 5:28 pm

just got in my flatlands racing skid plate and rad guard today and after reading all the complaints about echoing noise from the plate and some others solutions I decided to fix it prior to install. I went down to tractor supply and picked up a 1 foot strip (4ft wide) of 3/8" rubber matting at 7.49 a foot (they were out of 1/4" for 5.00 a foot) came home trimmed it down to fit the inside bottom of the skid plate, cut all the holes out to match the skid plate.
exacto knife for the oil drain, drill bit with counter sink bit (on the back side)on the air flow holes.
glued it down with 3m spray glue and botled it up, since the material is somewhat compressable you can use the bolts supplied by flatlands racing but it is a little fussy getting it all lined up by yourself.

I took photos on each step during the process but of course the camera screwed up and I lost them, so I took some post install photos but I am sure everyone gets the idea.
the raw material

Quiet Skid Plate IMG_0007-6

Quiet Skid Plate IMG_0001-8

Quiet Skid Plate IMG_0003-7

Quiet Skid Plate IMG_0005-5

Quiet Skid Plate IMG_0009-8

she sounds just like she did with no skid plate at all and of course the rad guard install is pretty straight forward.
Quiet Skid Plate IMG_0008-6
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Quiet Skid Plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet Skid Plate   Quiet Skid Plate EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Did you drill any wash holes in thru the rubber matting, or did you leave it solid where the holes are in the skid plate at the front?

Quiet Skid Plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet Skid Plate   Quiet Skid Plate EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 8:09 pm

drilled them all thru and then took a counter sink bit on the back side to enlarge and camfer the rubber to both aid in washing stuff out and also airflow in our hot Texas summers
Back to top Go down
willcp00

willcp00

Quiet Skid Plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet Skid Plate   Quiet Skid Plate EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 2:10 pm

Something else I found that worked really well was automotive under coating. Albeit probably not as effective as what you've done, it did help significantly! Quiet Skid Plate 61865
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quiet Skid Plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet Skid Plate   Quiet Skid Plate Empty

Back to top Go down

Quiet Skid Plate
Page 1 of 1