Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Max Pwr

Max Pwr

Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? Empty
PostSubject: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 12:38 am

Hi Guys,
Imagine my disappointment when I unloaded my bike today at my favourite riding spot with good friends, only to hae my bike not start on me (was running fine yesterday). When switching the key on, I was not getting any 'whirring' of the fue pump..After making sure the kill switch was set to 'run' and trying it a number of times, decided to start diagnosing an abvious fault in the machine. I hve good battery power (15.4VDC), 2 x Green 30A Main fuses okay, All fuses near coolant overflow bottle okay, voltage at fuse points on EFI (2.6 - too low?) and IGN (12.8) circuits. Took apart kill switch to find no continuity between wires (red w/ white stripe), but I have up to 14.8VDC at the fueld pump. Listened for a faint click at fuel pump when turning key, nothing (as I have read about some dodgy fuel pumps on these bikes. I still have lights, horn, blinkers and brake lights, but in the turning on and turning off during testing, the dash is now throwing CEL code 12... I am lost. Has anyone had this problem or may have an idea on what it may be? I appreciate any help you may be able to offer, and look forward to hopefully sorting out something easy like an unplugged connector (fingers crossed it's not an 'expensive code 12'). Thanks all, Max.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 12:52 am

Code 12

No normal signals are received from the crankshaft position sensor.

Open or short circuit in wire harness.

Defective crankshaft position sensor.

Malfunction in pickup rotor.

Malfunction in ECU.**

Improperly installed sensor

I'd be checking what you can...hopefully it's not your ECU.... Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? 640571 Are you still under warranty? I'd be taking it in if you are.

Max Pwr

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 1:07 am

Hi SheWolf, thanks for the awesome response time...Yeah I'm still under warranty so I'll be sure to take it in tomorrow. Really maing me think I should just ask the dealer if he wants to swap for a WRF of the same price and not having to worry with EFI if this is what's going to happen all the time. Could thi in any way be blamed on the owner? I also performed the first service myself, could this perhaps void warranty? Cheers, Max. p.s. Are these codes in the maual? As i'm not currently at home I could not check...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 1:15 am

The codes are in the service manual. Honestly, I have yet to come across someone who threw a code 12, let alone a faulty fuel pump...well, there was one guy who did have a faulty pump, but he was the only one to this day that I've ever heard have that trouble. It was in an 08. It seems far and few between from what I've seen with the bikes giving any troubles, other than screw ups that the rider made when doing a mod or wiping out. Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? 29721 So far with 99% of the riders I've read have felt the bike is bulletproof...I'm just hoping that it's nothing serious. To this day I haven't come across a lemon R² on any of the boards. As for servicing the bike yourself (oil change, air filter, spark plug), that won't void your warranty.

Max Pwr

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 6:24 am

I almost can't believe I wrote that I want to swap this bike. I have had dit since new in October '08 and it has been absolutely perfect and, as you say, "bulletproof" up until now. Sometimes the electric leg would take a few times to actually fire the starter (maybe this could be a symptom of what has actually gone wrong) but never have i turned it on and not heard the fuel pump, then not been able to start it. I was just very frustrated today as all three yamaha's that I have owned have been ultra-reliable. I decided after looking it over with a mate over a few brews to just take it down to the dealer first thing monday. I'll be sure to let you know howw it goes down the dealer tomorrow, or should I perhaps contact Yamaha Australia first? Cheers, Max.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 11:53 am

They'll probably tell you to take it to the dealer to have it checked. Sometimes things do fail for whatever reason, be it electronic or mechanical. Something is weak and just gives out. It can happen to any one of us, and is just the luck (or shit luck) of the draw. Perfect example is when I was in the truck shop yesterday talking to one of my pals who was working on a truck that had Jake Brake (engine brake) probs. He replaced all 3 brake heads in the engine, fired it up and ran the diagnostics. All 3 failed within seconds of each other! These brake heads were brand new, right from Caterpillar and they cracked right there in the shop. The truck hadn't even turned a wheel. So, it just goes to show that shit can happen even with NEW stuff. I'm just bummed your bike won't run, but hopefully your mates at the bike shop will be able to find what died on it and get you back riding again.

Max Pwr

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 11:06 pm

My baby is now at the dealers. They tried to simply reset the fault code and fault history whilst I was there, as there was three previous faults (lean angle sensor - bike tipped over) however the ECU would not reset either the history or the current code 12 fault. They also seem to think that these symptoms point to a faulted ECU. Hopefully this will be a warranty item, as I haven't played with anything that should void warranty on either the Crank Angle sensor or the EC Unit. This bike comes with a 24 month parts/labour warranty in Australia, which is one of the factors that lead me down the path of the WRR. Fingers crossed! I'll let you know more when I hear back from them...Until then I'm holding a candle-light vigil for my poor baby, lol. Light a candle for me, hehehe.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Got one lit Max. Damn, if it's the ECU that would be the first one I've heard that's crapped out! Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? 640571 I'm just glad you weren't out in the middle of the outback and that happened. That wouldn't have been a good thing. Your ECU should be covered under warranty, all things being equal. Here's to hoping everything works out in your favor. Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? 500735

Max Pwr

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 1:53 am

Cheers SheWolf. Only problem is everywhere in Aus is 'the outback' lol, even if you're only around the corner from home! I'll be sure to let you know what happens as soon as I find out, though they had a long line of bikes that mine got added to the end of, so it may be a little while. Thanks again for all your help through this ordeal!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 1:56 am

No worries! Support can make all the difference. I know I'd feel naked without mine in it's little spot in the carport.

Max Pwr

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 1:58 am

I'm hearin' ya...Having withdrawals from my hourly checks on it while at home already! lol...Hopefully she will be alright. Good timing in finding this forum too, not a minute too soon...
Back to top Go down
Max Pwr

Max Pwr

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 7:21 am

Okay so I got my bike back today!!! The knobs down at the dealer tried telling me that, while my crank angle sensor was stuffed (also causing the ECU to fail), that it was my fault because my right-side switchblock (kill switch, engine start) was full of mud and this had somehow caused the CAS/ECU to fail, and it would be costing me $209.45 for the priviledge of being told lies (which I could  not believe - if 'I' had caused both to fail, wouldn't it be a damn sight more than $209?). I then proceeded to rip shit through the mechanic (as me and my friend, in looking for the problem had taken the switchblock apart - no mud at all) and eventually got the speak to the manager, who, when I informed him of the stories I had been told by the mechanic and that I was prepared to take the matter to the Automotive Ombudsman due to charging for services not tendered - told me that he would be happy to wipe the slate clean, give me 10% P/L discount in the future, and also gave me a discount voucher book for use at the dealership. Needless to say, I won't be going back there anymore. But, the upshot is I got my baby back, the good people at Yamaha must have tendered the parts under warranty, and the mechanic will probably not being furthering his career of lies. Personally, I do not know what the problem was, which shits me, but I kinda don't even believe that anything had to be replaced, it would take at least 2 weeks for parts to come from Japan (in Australia, they ALWAYS need to come from Japan) and would've had to cost much more than they were trying to stick me for. If anyone on this forum lives in or near Brisbane, and is considering buying a Yamaha (which are great bikes!), pm me and I can tell you which dealer to stay away from. Thanks for everyone's help with this (SheWolf!), it has been mucho appreciado! Max.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:06 am

Glad you got that all sorted out Max! Damn...nice to get handed a load of bullshit hey? It's probably a good idea to start hanging around the dealer you intend to be doing business with, get to know the service manager and the mechanics if you are allowed into the back of the shop. Good you have the bike back! Now you can go rip up the turnf some more while I sit here and watch a rogue snow storm hit. Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? 9356

Max Pwr

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 6:09 am

Lol. Yeah I'm kinda disappointed that I'll never know what was 'really' wrong with it. I'm going out this weekend with some mates so I'll get some pics for 'Masked/Unmasked' section, and show you some of the awesome terrain here in Qld. Enjoy that snow-storm, lol. Take it easy all, hopefully will have some pics posted soon...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?   Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT? Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine Warning Code 12!! WHAT?
Page 1 of 1