Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stealthy performance exhaust

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sswrx

sswrx

Stealthy performance exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Stealthy performance exhaust   Stealthy performance exhaust EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 12:44 am

Since switching from a 600cc sportbike to the WR, I've missed the near silent purr of the inline 4 with the stock can. The WR is my first thumper & is more fun to ride despite the decrease in the HP department. I've done almost all the mods short of the Athena big bore & MP turbo. I wanted to know if anyone has tried putting a DB Dawg into their FMF Q4 to reduce the DB level even more? I like the tone of the Q4 over the stock system, which was not really quiet to begin with & sounded poppy at idle & tinny at highway speed. I've seen a mod on DR650's that use a stock GSXR muffler which gives it a deep idle but quiet tone at higher speed. Sounded really mellow on Youtube. Anyone got any expertise with the DB Dawg or custom exhaust adaptations?
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: Stealthy performance exhaust   Stealthy performance exhaust EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 4:20 am

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10527241&highlight=insert#post10527241

Cyborg put a 1x3/4" copper pipe adapter in the end of his spark arrestor and that quieted things down. Do you have the powerbomb header also? I found that my bike is quieter with the Q4 and powerbomb than with just the Q4.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Stealthy performance exhaust   Stealthy performance exhaust EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 9:05 am

Thanks Toast. I do have the Power Bomb installed also. Strange thing I wondered about it was how it could influence exhaust performance because if you look into it, the area where the chamber is shows nothing different internally except for a little pea sized hole on the bottom of the tube about center of the "bomb" area. Anyway, I'm heading to the hardware store today & trying the copper pipe adapter. It will be a cheap experiment. I'll try to post results after testing.
toast wrote:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10527241&highlight=insert#post10527241

Cyborg put a 1x3/4" copper pipe adapter in the end of his spark arrestor and that quieted things down. Do you have the powerbomb header also? I found that my bike is quieter with the Q4 and powerbomb than with just the Q4.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Stealthy performance exhaust   Stealthy performance exhaust EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 2:54 pm

Mark (mwakey) put a Db Dawg in his Q4 but he had to modify it to make it fit. Not sure if he's still using it with the can or not. Stealthy performance exhaust 29721

PostSubject: Re: Stealthy performance exhaust   Stealthy performance exhaust EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 7:20 pm

sswrx wrote:
Thanks Toast. I do have the Power Bomb installed also. Strange thing I wondered about it was how it could influence exhaust performance because if you look into it, the area where the chamber is shows nothing different internally except for a little pea sized hole on the bottom of the tube about center of the "bomb" area. Anyway, I'm heading to the hardware store today & trying the copper pipe adapter. It will be a cheap experiment. I'll try to post results after testing.

Air flow and sound don't have to be mutually inclusive - the expansion chamber is designed to damp some of the sound waves while allowing full exhaust flow.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Stealthy performance exhaust   Stealthy performance exhaust EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 8:11 pm

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/maintenance-f2/repacking-the-fmf-silencers-t409.htm

If you are into reading my LONG rant about FMF customer service, there is also info in there about my Q4/dB Dawg experiment. One of the posts has a link to a TT thread with more info. I am not running the dB Dawg right now, but I still have it. When I bought it I had just repacked the Q4, so it was not a fair test with the new packing going in at the same time I installed the Dawg. I think now that I have some miles on the new packing I might try the Dawg again just to see what it does. I didn't have it in very long the first time. It did quiet the bike at idle and slow speeds but I didn't notice any change on the highway. The Dawg seemed to give it more pep in the upper end though, but like I said I just repacked so I may have got a false reading there.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Stealthy performance exhaust   Stealthy performance exhaust EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 12:05 am

I went crazy at the plumbing section at LOWES & came home with about $15 worth of copper adapters. I thought I'd reinvent the wheel & attempted to make a crude version of the DB Dawg & it failed. I replaced my spark arrestor with it & it sounded like crap. No quieter than before & an awful sound like farts in a 5 gallon bucket. I think I'll just get the same 1" to 3/4" adapter & see what it sounds like.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Stealthy performance exhaust   Stealthy performance exhaust EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 12:07 am

Stealthy performance exhaust 851577 Kind of like those cans they put on the end of many young 'stud muffin's' rice grinders....

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Stealthy performance exhaust   Stealthy performance exhaust EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 8:40 pm

Oh yeah, you must be referring to the FAST & FURIOUS TUNER CARS.
SheWolf wrote:
Stealthy performance exhaust 851577 Kind of like those cans they put on the end of many young 'stud muffin's' rice grinders....
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Stealthy performance exhaust   Stealthy performance exhaust EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:29 pm

LOL
I gotta go find a 5 gallon bucket so i can see what sound you refer to
5 imperial gallons or US?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stealthy performance exhaust   Stealthy performance exhaust Empty

Back to top Go down

Stealthy performance exhaust
Page 1 of 1