Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRX to WRR

Go down 
+9
ed29
stallspeed
Hertz
texasreb
turboedmsp
Dancamp
Mr. Fisherman
derm75
jlpred
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jlpred

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Hey all. I really want the R version, but there are a couple leftover 08 X's around here. Not to mention I do like the pics I've seen of the black frame with black dirt wheel set. So, does anyone know if the forks on an X will work with an R wheel assuming I get new caliper/disk. I looked and the Yamaha p/n's are different, which they should be based on color alone. What really grabbed my attention was this: http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/images/NttKxwyh0ngAAGPMg54AAAAS-67115.jpg

It sure looks like some kind of adapter holding the caliper on, but that may be because of the brake kit. That pic is from wheeling, where it is an X. An R wheel set + caliper + disc is much cheaper than having to replace the forks as well.
Back to top Go down
derm75

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 pm

I have an X. I bought the R wheels and an X disc from Wheeling Cycle. You can use the X caliper. No issues with the X forks. I believe the damping is a little different from the R forks, but I came from a '06 KLR so even if not ideal, the X forks are a huge improvement! poser2
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 1:44 am

I have an X that came with an extra set of dirt wheels and tires (Excels and 606s). I finally got to ride it hard last week and was very impressed. My dirt set has the same sproket and has rotors so it is a quick change. I like it a lot. If you have an extra set of hands to help line things up it goes pretty quick. I love this setup.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 7:37 am

The difference in parts for the X and The R are the rotors, caliper and wheels. There are some other differences but they are cosmetics. The rear sprocket has also less teeth on the X to compensate the diameter of the rear wheel.

If you buy the Yamaha's wheels, front caliper, front rotor and rear sprocket it will all fit.

Wheeling supply sells sets of dirt wheels that are the same but at a discount. They are looking for hubs coming from England to speed things up. These hubs might be of better quality.
Back to top Go down
jlpred

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I am looking to do a permanent change. I know of the dirt setup for the X from wheeling, I just really want to get rid of the giant rotor on the X (which the wheeliing set does not do). With my luck, I would ding it on a rock 1st time out. My intentions for this bike are mainly dirt and DS. I know.. "just get the R" but there is a used R 150mi from my house that the guy will go no lower than $4600, and there is a BRAND NEW X at the dealer 25mi away listed at $4500. So thats what made me go "hmmmm". I'll keep digging, but from what dancamp says, its only rotor, caliper, wheels. Forks don't need to be swapped.
Back to top Go down
turboedmsp

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm

i say leave the rotor and if you ding or bend it carry a spare. really easy to swap on the trailside.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 4:49 pm

jlpred wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. I am looking to do a permanent change. I know of the dirt setup for the X from wheeling, I just really want to get rid of the giant rotor on the X (which the wheeliing set does not do). With my luck, I would ding it on a rock 1st time out. My intentions for this bike are mainly dirt and DS. I know.. "just get the R" but there is a used R 150mi from my house that the guy will go no lower than $4600, and there is a BRAND NEW X at the dealer 25mi away listed at $4500. So thats what made me go "hmmmm". I'll keep digging, but from what dancamp says, its only rotor, caliper, wheels. Forks don't need to be swapped.

The Wheeling set comes without rotor. If you want the small just ask for it or buy one anywhere you wish. Just remember that you'll have to change the caliper if you take the small rotor.
Back to top Go down
texasreb

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:45 pm

I would take my time and you will find a WRR. I got mine off of ebay brand new for $4100.
Back to top Go down
jlpred

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 10:02 pm

texasreb wrote:
I would take my time and you will find a WRR. I got mine off of ebay brand new for $4100.

Easier said than done... I've been eying this up since the advrider monster thread was 5 pages long. Been bouncing back and forth between this, Husky, KTM, and finally decided the WR is really all I need for what I will use it for. I have the Aprilia to keep the fix in check, but all the damn ride reports of far away places in the dirt make me really jealous...
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 11:40 pm

Go get that X!! If I could do it again I would have bought the X that was sitting right beside my R at the dealership. I wish I had the black frame and swing arm and some black dirt wheels from wheelingcyclesupply.com. I think it looks great. And of course, a spare set of SM wheels/tires would be great for commuting and terrorizing the back roads.
Back to top Go down
stallspeed

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 3:48 pm

jlpred wrote:
texasreb wrote:

Easier said than done... I've been eying this up since the advrider monster thread was 5 pages long. Been bouncing back and forth between this, Husky, KTM, and finally decided the WR is really all I need for what I will use it for. I have the Aprilia to keep the fix in check, but all the damn ride reports of far away places in the dirt make me really jealous...

You just said exactly what I've been thinking for a long time now and I have a RC51!!! I've been lurking on this site for some time now and have been looking for a WR250R also, but are somewhat hard to come by and everytime I find one, someone snatches it right out from underneath me....anyway....

Quick question though, is the only thing different from the R to the X, is the wheels, gearing, caliper and brakes? For some reason anytime I see a X model with dirt wheels, it never looks as tall or looks like it's squatting down a little. Is it just me? Are the forks and suspension the same?
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Yes they are the same.

Just calculate the diameter of the wheels with the tires and you'll find the difference in height.
Back to top Go down
ed29

ed29

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 5:05 pm

If it is going to be a permanent mod just have some 18/21 rims laced to the X hubs and be done with it. The difference in rotor diameter is not so much that it presents a real hazard off road. You would want a larger sprocket for dirt anyway, even us with the R swap that early on.

I can understand on missing Rs when they come up. Four eluded me before timing was right and I found mine. Mere hours after it was posted for sale it was bought and on the way home. One of the ones I missed went to a friend's garage, and another friend was 2nd in line behind me on mine. They don't last when the price is fair.
Back to top Go down
stallspeed

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 7:51 am

So I found this pic of someone's bike on Thumpertalk (looks schweet by the way) and doesn't it look lower to you than an WRR??? Does he/she possibly have a yamalink lowering dogbone in there and does the seat look like it's been altered/chopped? WRX to WRR DSC02204
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 8:28 am

stallspeed wrote:
So I found this pic of someone's bike on Thumpertalk (looks schweet by the way) and doesn't it look lower to you than an WRR??? Does he/she possibly have a yamalink lowering dogbone in there and does the seat look like it's been altered/chopped? WRX to WRR DSC02204

I don't know if it's just my eyes but the front wheel looks like it's a narrower 17" rim. Beside that the forks are all the way up in the clamps. Just take a tape and you'll know exactly the height. You'll stop guessing.
Back to top Go down
turboedmsp

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 8:55 am

seat looks modified, plus forks are all the way pushed up, and i see blue yamalink under the swingarm. definitely lowered bike. Looks good though!! WRX to WRR 61865 WRX to WRR 61865
Back to top Go down
texasreb

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:08 pm

I'll have to agree: that black looks great with those knobbies. Glenn.
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 3:22 pm

Our very own Rydnseek (Scotty) just runs knobblies on his X

WRX to WRR Advwrx

He has a thread about it here >>> https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/wr250x-specific-f15/wrx-adventure-bike-t1109.htm
Back to top Go down
duanew

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Dancamp wrote:
I don't know if it's just my eyes but the front wheel looks like it's a narrower 17" rim. Beside that the forks are all the way up in the clamps. Just take a tape and you'll know exactly the height. You'll stop guessing.

It can't be a 17". It is bigger than the rear rim. Also, it looks like the front tire is a D606. I cannot find it in any other size than a 21".
Back to top Go down
jlpred

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 6:45 pm

The 1st pic posted looks like the wheels from wheeling. You can barely make out the "sm pro" logo. Anyway, update from forest. The wheels he sells will NOT work with WRR rotor. He can make stock WRR wheels in black though. I went to look at the local X today with the intention of buying..and damned if they didn't already sell it last Sat. WRX to WRR 9356 Price was $4299, brand new 08. Saleswomen said it sat on the floor for a month at that price. Back to the search..
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 7:08 pm

duanew wrote:

It can't be a 17". It is bigger than the rear rim. Also, it looks like the front tire is a D606. I cannot find it in any other size than a 21".

I guess you're right. It's the way the front is diving that gives me the illusion.
Back to top Go down
jlpred

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 7:47 pm

New X sitting in the garage now WRX to WRR 93746 . I will forge ahead on R conversion once breakin is complete. I'll be sure to document everything, so everyone can know for sure what is required.
Back to top Go down
texasreb

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 8:56 pm

Now you are just like me/ Spending money!
Back to top Go down
Demon

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 1:32 pm

Hey what a great thread. Just thought I'd say hi here.

Have been looking for a WRR in the UK and just cant find anything. New we can get the WRX for a little over 4k and the WRR at 6k! I now have a plan WRX to WRR 61865
Back to top Go down
Demon

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 11:59 am

Just another question with conversions. Are the 2009 and 2010 models the same and able to take on the same conversion? I just wandered if these are different again on the front end than the 2008 model discussed here?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WRX to WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRX to WRR   WRX to WRR Empty

Back to top Go down

WRX to WRR
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories-
Jump to: