Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Cpl Quick Billet Pieces   Cpl Quick Billet Pieces EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 10:50 pm

i finally had a little break at my work and was able to make a cpl quick pieces i wanted for my bike.
the last cpl mods i had done on my bike were to remove the air-box top and i replaced the stock whale-tail rear light/blinkers with a DRC Edge kit.
on the tag mount with the new Edge set up it only uses the top 2 tag bolts to hold it...leaving the tag to vibrate and catch anything coming off the rear tire. i wanted to fix that and keep my tag in one piece. then on the air box,this really was just an idea for making the mod look more finished....purely cosmetic.
here's what i came up with....

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces SL380558

this was just to give the air box opening a finnished look....

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces SL380566

after putting this on i thought it would look even better if i had some screen material...like screen spark arrestors are made from....or similar....then this trim piece would / could be the retainer for that. other materials come to mind also....maybe even something water resistant???
the other piece is just a 4"x7" with 3/8" radius corners bike tag made from 1/8" billet aluminum.

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces SL380560

i added a cpl more bolts on the mount for the new tag backing plate....used #10 screws with tapered heads and tapered the holes so they fit flush under the tag.adding these two extra bolts really made the whole deal more solid.now it has 4 bolts for the tag and 4 bolts for the backing plate....no vibration or rattles. Cpl Quick Billet Pieces 61865

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces SL380561

one last pic.....this was the first tag backing plate i made. i thought it would be a good idea to extend the bottom of the plate for a little more roost protection,but after i put it on and looked at it a cpl days i decided it just didn't look right and made the one same size as the tag....to me it looks the best.

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces SL380559

these were just a cpl ideas / things i thought i'd share ......the tag backing plate i think should have been in the tail light kit to begin with.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Cpl Quick Billet Pieces   Cpl Quick Billet Pieces EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:23 pm

Hey a good idea for the airbox is something we use in snowmobiles
What you want is "Flo Rite" material made by "SLP" or Starting Line Products
Water will not flow through it but air will

There's a lot of material that looks almost identical but nothing else works like this stuff, im not kidding about the water, you can pour a bucket on it and it will not go through
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Cpl Quick Billet Pieces   Cpl Quick Billet Pieces EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:15 am

+10 I have it on my airbox and it's slick stuff. Cpl Quick Billet Pieces 61865

vwsandman

PostSubject: Re: Cpl Quick Billet Pieces   Cpl Quick Billet Pieces EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:27 am

Cover up that intake! I would be very worred about water coming in with that! ( it has no where to go unless you remove the drain plug on the bottom of the air box) Use that membrane for snowmobiles or fab up a curved cover like the OEM part....you could sell a ton of those....add in a place for the OEM tip over sensor and a fuel programmer and you would be set! Keep in mind that air likes to flow off of the last surface it touches, Cpl Quick Billet Pieces 619190 so the down spout part of the OEM part is not just to block air, but it there to help direct the air flow. Make a curved part that feeds in toward the air filter and it will direct the air towards the intake, not just "dump" it in like you have now.

I tried to do that in the ABS plastic replacement I made for mine. had I more time, a few subtle mods to it would make it just about perfect. Your aluminum part is a good start to a finished product.

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces P1050726Medium

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces P1050727Medium

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces P1050725Medium

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces P1050724Medium

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces P1050723Medium

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces P1050729Medium

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces P1050730Medium

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces P1050732Medium

See what I mean? My part flows WAY more air than the OEM part, but also helps to direct it TOWARD the intake, and help with water splashing as well. Mine is more or less a one off part, but you get the idea...like I said a few tweaks here and there would make it a viable sellable part...you are well on the way towards that....

BTW, your parts look very nice indeed, love to see an aluminum intake, OR make one out of ABS sheet like I did with you machining skills and glue them up, ABS plastic, when welded or solvent welded is a VERY durable part, with the seams being as strong or stronger than the original sheet material. Did I mention how cheap you can buy the material from your local plastic supplier?
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: Cpl Quick Billet Pieces   Cpl Quick Billet Pieces EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 6:01 pm

0007onWR wrote:
Hey a good idea for the airbox is something we use in snowmobiles
What you want is "Flo Rite" material made by "SLP" or Starting Line Products
Water will not flow through it but air will

There's a lot of material that looks almost identical but nothing else works like this stuff, im not kidding about the water, you can pour a bucket on it and it will not go through

yep....that type of material was exactly what i had in mind Cpl Quick Billet Pieces 619190 .

on the control cabinets on some of the cnc machines at my work....they use a filter for the cooling system that also looks pretty good.it's a plastic fiber mesh type filter...it would be at least water resistant,but not waterproof.
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

PostSubject: Re: Cpl Quick Billet Pieces   Cpl Quick Billet Pieces EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 7:12 pm

vwsandman wrote:
Cover up that intake! I would be very worred about water coming in with that! ( it has no where to go unless you remove the drain plug on the bottom of the air box) Use that membrane for snowmobiles or fab up a curved cover like the OEM part....you could sell a ton of those....add in a place for the OEM tip over sensor and a fuel programmer and you would be set! Keep in mind that air likes to flow off of the last surface it touches, Cpl Quick Billet Pieces 619190 so the down spout part of the OEM part is not just to block air, but it there to help direct the air flow. Make a curved part that feeds in toward the air filter and it will direct the air towards the intake, not just "dump" it in like you have now.

I tried to do that in the ABS plastic replacement I made for mine. had I more time, a few subtle mods to it would make it just about perfect. Your aluminum part is a good start to a finished product.

See what I mean? My part flows WAY more air than the OEM part, but also helps to direct it TOWARD the intake, and help with water splashing as well. Mine is more or less a one off part, but you get the idea...like I said a few tweaks here and there would make it a viable sellable part...you are well on the way towards that....

BTW, your parts look very nice indeed, love to see an aluminum intake, OR make one out of ABS sheet like I did with you machining skills and glue them up, ABS plastic, when welded or solvent welded is a VERY durable part, with the seams being as strong or stronger than the original sheet material. Did I mention how cheap you can buy the material from your local plastic supplier?

i already thought your snorkle top was the best i've seen yet. Cpl Quick Billet Pieces 61865 i had already made a rough idea cad drawing on a copy of it but i was planning on doing it in aluminum if or when i thought i needed to.
i have only rode it a cpl times since i removed the whole top,and so far....i've had no water or mud etc. getting in. even after washing it a cpl times too...i haven't found any more than a few drops of water getting on anything under the seat area. so for now i'm comfortable with it about the water getting in the air box part of it...or rather not getting in it.
as far as controlling or directing the air flow,the air filter diffuses the intake flow.....so there would be no gain there from having a snorkle. i'm pretty sure the only reason in the first place for the factory/stock air box top was just to incorporate the flapper for the intake side of the EXUP system. with the stock top removed...your only loosing a very small amount of height anyways before any water would enter at the bottom opening on the snorkle.

as far as making parts to sell.......that would be a whole other set of problems that would have to be worked out,but it might be possible Cpl Quick Billet Pieces 619190
i've made some car parts,boat parts,bike parts,atv parts etc....actually all kinds of stuff,but my employer pays me to make/modify light reflectors. we also have a large anodizing operation too.my biggest obstacles are machine time(i'm always busy) and material to work with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cpl Quick Billet Pieces   Cpl Quick Billet Pieces Empty

Back to top Go down

Cpl Quick Billet Pieces
Page 1 of 1