Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cheap alternative for a skid plate

Go down 
+3
slolane
rydnseek
sswrx
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sswrx

sswrx

Cheap alternative for a skid plate Empty
PostSubject: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Cheap alternative for a skid plate Kydexsheild002SmallCheap alternative for a skid plate Kydexsheild001Small

I just made a cheap alternative for a skid plate. I used thermoplastic with dynamat on the backside to make a debris shield for the bottom of my X. I didn't really need the heavy protection of a normal plate since I ride on the road most of the time but still wanted some splash & rock chip protection for the engine. The thermoplastic & dynamat keeps sound from transmitting engine noise like the aluminum plates usually do. It's a lot lighter too.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 11:02 am

looks good, too!

Like you said, for more gnarly off road you'd want a wrap type plate, but for dirt & gravel roads, & to protect from a stray rock now & then, this looks like a good solution.
scotty
Back to top Go down
slolane

slolane

PostSubject: Re: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Great job sswrx and it looks nice too!!
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: hey !   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 8:47 pm

hey,i did that with an alum running board. works fine,just way to much noise.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks for the compliments. I had a chance to ride with the new shield the other day & it works real well & absorbs all the engine noises.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 7:00 am

dtx,

Try some weather-stripping tape on the frame rails. Worked wonders for me.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 7:40 am

yep,and dont wash the mud out :)
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 1:09 am

Looks great. Where did you get that thermoplastic? Does it come in like 1' x 2' sheets at the hardware store?
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 12:57 am

dunno

GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 6:16 pm

WRXR wrote:
dunno

GAHHHH

I did the same thing and got my plastic from a CamelBak Motherlode backpack seen here. Cheap alternative for a skid plate CBK.511-2T
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 6:48 pm

I found some (transparent) and relatively flexible plexi glass at the hw store but I guess it'll probably get brittle and crack after a while?!
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 pm

It might. I actually purchased this backpack while I was overseas during a deployment. It feels almost like Kydex to be honest, but I know it isn't. I can't speak for the OP, but the plastic I used was a stiffener for the back piece of the backpack. It's more than flexible enough for the application intended.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm gonna look for my old Camelbak, not sure if it has that plastic in there but worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap alternative for a skid plate   Cheap alternative for a skid plate Empty

Back to top Go down

Cheap alternative for a skid plate
Page 1 of 1