Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread

Go down 
+32
Evol
Zoltan
FG250WRR
Protosouls
4play
sportsterchop200
pbnut
YAMAHAPPY
grnd0
Jungle Man
oic0
Just Bob
Mikechicago
rktpacnwest
DougZ
Toddwr250r
Yamaguy55
RimBenty
ramz
eakins
Alan Case
little squirt
e010584
Tammy
Mr.Metal
njbill
YZEtc
gatorfan
BigBird
YamWOW!
mtb
Machtig
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Machtig

The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread Empty
PostSubject: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 7:25 pm

With special thanks to derangedhermit's thread on the weight of most of the stock parts and some of the aftermarket parts, I thought I'd start a thread listing all of the verified weight savings for these bikes. We did this over on one of the car forums I frequent and found it possible to remove over 300lbs from an M5 without compromising the luxury the car offered. So, can we get the WR250R less than 250lbs?? Lets find out how much weight can still be removed, while keeping the bike somewhat civilized. Please add your verified items to the list as I know I've missed a few. I would like to keep this thread business only, so please keep the chatter to a minimum. Let the games begin

• Removal of passenger footpegs($0): -27.1oz
  • Replacement of muffler, header, factory heatsheilds, EXUP valve/servo/wiring with FMF muffler, header, and one of the fuel programmers($800-$1000): -71oz
  • Removal of airbox flapper($0): -9.2oz
  • Replacement of stock battery with VoltPhreaks lightweight battery($480) or Gybe SuperB 230($??): -36oz(voltphreaks)to -56oz(Gybe)
  • Removal of kickstand saftey switch and wiring($0): -4oz
  • Removal of Air Injection System($0): -17oz
  • Replacement of rear tail light/blinkers with DRZ setup ($100): -27.9oz
  • Replacement of rear sprocket with Renthal Ultralight sprocket ($70): -19.0oz
  • Replacement of factory US spec headlight and shroud with Japanese spec headlight and shroud ($110): -7.6oz
  • Removal of front reflectors ($0): -3.2oz
  • Replacement of stock front tire with Michelin Cross AC10 80/120-21: -15.0oz
  • Replacement of stock rear tire with Michelin Cross AC10 100/100-18: -16.0oz

Total weight loss possible is 253.0oz to 273.0oz (15.8lbs to 17.1lbs), however if typical protective items are added, the weight savings are significantly less.

• Flatland Racing Skidplate(includes removal of white plastic guards[-3.0oz]): +51.6oz
  • Zeta Armored handguards with XC flashers(includes weight savings of removal of stock front flashers[-12.7oz]): +17.4oz
  • Bulletproof Designs Radiator guard(includes removal of factory fins[-3.7oz]): +10.1oz

Therefor this adds 79.1oz, reducing weight savings to 173.9oz to 193.9oz (10.8lbs to 12.1lbs)
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Not forgetting the removal of the EXUP motor

EXUP motor, gears, housing.................................15 oz

But the replacement weight will vary depends on how one did his sub
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 10:31 pm

mtb wrote:
Not forgetting the removal of the EXUP motor

EXUP motor, gears, housing.................................15 oz

But the replacement weight will vary depends on how one did his sub

Its included in my second bullet.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 10:49 pm

Oops... how could I miss that...

Sorry my bad Shog
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 9:59 am

Machtig wrote:
With special thanks to derangedhermit's thread on the weight of most of the stock parts and some of the aftermarket parts, I thought I'd start a thread listing all of the verified weight savings for these bikes. We did this over on one of the car forums I frequent and found it possible to remove over 300lbs from an M5 without compromising the luxury the car offered. So, can we get the WR250R less than 250lbs?? Lets find out how much weight can still be removed, while keeping the bike somewhat civilized. Please add your verified items to the list as I know I've missed a few. I would like to keep this thread business only, so please keep the chatter to a minimum. Let the games begin

• Removal of passenger footpegs($0): -27.1oz
  • Replacement of muffler, header, factory heatsheilds, EXUP valve/servo/wiring with FMF muffler, header, and one of the fuel programmers($800-$1000): -71oz
  • Removal of airbox flapper($0): -9.2oz
  • Replacement of stock battery with VoltPhreaks lightweight battery($480) or Gybe SuperB 230($??): -36oz(voltphreaks)to -56oz(Gybe)
  • Removal of kickstand saftey switch and wiring($0): -4oz
  • Removal of Air Injection System($0): -17oz
  • Replacement of rear tail light/blinkers with DRZ setup ($100): -27.9oz
  • Replacement of rear sprocket with Renthal Ultralight sprocket ($70): -19.0oz
  • Replacement of factory US spec headlight and shroud with Japanese spec headlight and shroud ($110): -7.6oz
  • Removal of front reflectors ($0): -3.2oz
  • Replacement of stock front tire with Michelin Cross AC10 80/120-21: -15.0oz
  • Replacement of stock rear tire with Michelin Cross AC10 100/100-18: -16.0oz

Total weight loss possible is 253.0oz to 273.0oz (15.8lbs to 17.1lbs), however if typical protective items are added, the weight savings are significantly less.

• Flatland Racing Skidplate(includes removal of white plastic guards[-3.0oz]): +51.6oz
  • Zeta Armored handguards with XC flashers(includes weight savings of removal of stock front flashers[-12.7oz]): +17.4oz
  • Bulletproof Designs Radiator guard(includes removal of factory fins[-3.7oz]): +10.1oz

Therefor this adds 79.1oz, reducing weight savings to 173.9oz to 193.9oz (10.8lbs to 12.1lbs)

This will become a sticky!

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:09 am

In the spirit of keeping to the original posters intents all off topic posts have been removed from this thread.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 12:38 pm

If anybody has any other verified weight savings, please post it up and I will update the list and totals. I stress the verified part. All of my weight savings were verified on a precision kitchen scale. Also, if you have verified weights of other aftermarket parts, please post it up. I have only weighed what I own, so I can't comment on other manufacturers stuff.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 9:17 am

Sidewinder Ti II sprocket/ Smart chain weight savings as noted below:

• stock '08 rear sprocket------------------------------------------ 30.9 0oz
  • Sidewinder Ti II rear sprocket, 46 tooth----------------------- 22.6 oz
  • stock '08 front sprocket----------------------------------------- 4.1 oz
  • Sidewinder Ti II front sprocket, 13 tooth---------------------- 3.4 oz
  • stock DID chain, 108 links-------------------------------------- 57.2 oz
  • Sidewinder Smart chain, 110 links, 12k lb tensile strength-- 61.6 oz
  • both stock and sidewinder bolts weighed in at--------------- 4.6 oz

Grand total, I lost about 5 oz of unsprung weight with significantly stronger and longer lasting components.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 10:08 am

Stock battery - 2079g
TurnTech 2.5Ah battery - 446g

Weight saved - 1633g beavis
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Handlebars?   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Mine appears to have steel handlebars.

Anyone know how much they weigh and thus savings from going to aluminum?
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 12:20 am

Just weighed the stock steel bars = 1 lb 11 oz.

Don't have any weights for aluminum bars but will try to weigh some tomorrow.

My guess is that they could save over 1/2 lb. and very high up.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 6:33 pm

15 pounds? That's it?

I bet most of us could drop that weight our bellies. (Is that too rude for a newbie?)

Found this thread b/c I got my butt kicked today down at Croom Motorcycle area in Brooksville, FL. I was the only duel sport bike there - everyone was on KTM off road bikes. Basically I spotted everyone a hundred pounds.

How much weight does the liquid cooling add you think?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 9:51 pm

How ' bout the chain guards - top and bottom - can they come off?

Also, I know this from bicycling. An ounce removed from anything rotating (wheels, sprocket, chain) is better than an ounce removed from something fixed (ie; seat). This is because at some point in the rotation the stuff rotating is going in the opposite direction you want to go.

Not all weight reduction is the same!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 2:06 am

Bottom chain guard?
You mean the thing just in front of the rear sprocket?
If so, I'd leave that there. :)
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 11:22 pm

gatorfan wrote:
I was the only duel sport bike there - everyone was on KTM off road bikes. Basically I spotted everyone a hundred pounds.

That statement is a little dramatic and very inaccurate. I recently sold my KTM 200 2 stroke, the lightest full-size KTM available. It was about 50 lbs. lighter than my WRR. I think it weighed 220 dry vs. 276 dry for the WRR. The KTM 4 stroke bikes are significantly heavier than my 200.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 1:20 am

So you're saying a farkled WRR is giving up less than 50lbs to a KTM 450/530?

I really thought it was more than that... hrm The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread 29721
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 9:35 am

KTM lists the 450 EXC at 251 lbs. That is 25 pounds less than the WRR.

Mr.Metal wrote:
So you're saying a farkled WRR is giving up less than 50lbs to a KTM 450/530?

I really thought it was more than that... hrm The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread 29721
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 5:25 pm

and almost 50hp to our 20 something..

From a dead stop I smoke my friends 450... and his top end is to low to get me.. wings
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 7:25 pm

You're telling me your WRR "smokes" a KTM 450 from a dead stop? Having eaten 450 dirt on numerous occasions, I somehow don't see how that could happen... not calling you a liar, I'm just curious.

Tammy wrote:

From a dead stop I smoke my friends 450... and his top end is to low to get me.. wings
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 8:19 pm

The WRR weighs 300lbs stock right? Where is the 25lb number coming from?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 8:52 pm

They're probably talking dry weights.
The WR-250R is two-seventy-something pounds dry.
Dry means with no fluids in the bike, like gasoline, oil, coolant, etc.

The weight figure you read today on the Yamaha website or the 2010 model brochure now shows a wet weight figure, with gas in the tank, oil in the engine, coolant in the cooling system, etc.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 10:05 pm

gatorfan wrote:
The WRR weighs 300lbs stock right? Where is the 25lb number coming from?

Wr250R is 276 lbs. dry vs. 251 lbs. dry for a KTM 450. A quick search confirms the KTM's weight is dry. Add fluids and they both increase about 20 lbs. I do not know when Yamaha switched the WRR specs from dry to wet weight. When the bike was first released, the website listed the 276 lb. dry weight.

For the record... my friend races enduros [very] competitively with the KTM 450. When we switch bikes, he eats my lunch in the woods. In other words, his advantage over me has little to do with his KTM. The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread 986936
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Mr.Metal wrote:
You're telling me your WRR "smokes" a KTM 450 from a dead stop? Having eaten 450 dirt on numerous occasions, I somehow don't see how that could happen... not calling you a liar, I'm just curious.

Tammy wrote:

Ok so it may be me I smoke DL1000's on my DL650 as well Very happy
Sometimes less is more.. I may have less power on both bikes but I can put that power down without the bike getting away from me and get moving a lot faster... Once going the WR has the top end with gearing... Once going the 1000's will pass me but by then I'm doing 80+..

Like NJbill said with his friend it's not always the bike, it's more the rider..
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm not even going to comment on that one. The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread Icon_rolleyes

Tammy wrote:

Ok so it may be me I smoke DL1000's on my DL650 as well Very happy
Back to top Go down
e010584

PostSubject: WR250R/X vs WR250F   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 1:03 am

OK, so does anybody know what the big hitters are for the extra weight on the WR250R/X vs. the WR250F? I suppose the counter balanced motor, steel cradle frame, additional rear framework, steel tank and added DOT bits are probably the big hitters, but it would be interesting to know what the break down is. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread   The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The official WR250R/X weight reduction thread
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next