Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain Adjustment

Go down 
+30
Evol
BCRider
rsteiger
spotted.ninja
cloudbuster
Big-O
skierd
Jersey Devil
dulinor
mash100
f3joel
Navajib
Chief_Lee_Visceral
superbee24
router.exe
Bob
YZEtc
motokid
derm75
10Cup
Jäger
craigq
wildmotha
inspector
mwakey
SheWolf
shredak
MeefZah
ZED
longtallsally
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
longtallsally

longtallsally

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Clutch or chain chatter/slipping when cold?   Chain Adjustment EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 11:27 pm

Well I have heard but done very little research on possible chain issues with the WR out of the box. We just finished an off road weekend. I took the WR in the vehicle we borrowed for it to be transported and just rode it home. While it was cold- but the motor was warmed up pretty good- and I gave it some throttle (not insane, about half) I got some pretty good chatter and slipping and a whole lot of something I know is not good.

After a good 15 miles or so on the freeway, I gassed the piss out of it to test and it behaved and performed properly.

The chain is correctly tensioned.

I have limited experience with chain driven thumpers, so can someone offer a little guidance?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 12:26 am

Funny, I've never had a chain slip on this bike or any of my others.
I tend to just go by feel with a bit of tension and not loose enough that it "chatters".

Riding it across a parking lot is a good test for chatter. When we're touring I often end up moving the bikes around a bit in the odd motel or rest stop without my earplugs. That usually gives me a chance to hear it. If it gets loose enough I can usually feel it.

One time we did over tighten a chain. Bad plan. The oil leak from the output shaft started that day. It's good now, but that engine has now had a lot of milage and been rebuilt this winter. So, it was only an irritant, but it was a good lesson.

Of course, if you have all the factory weights, tools, etc. then the factory specification is likely best.
After all, they designed the bloody thing. I just flog it.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyMon May 04, 2009 4:32 am

That's good info. thumb

When I initially adjusted my chain to the level of "looseness" I'm accustomed to in a dirtbike, I had loud chain slap and slippage.

Now it's tighter, but I'm getting this gawdawful squeal from the rear sprocket... goes away with lube, but returns after 20 miles or so, sooner if ridden off road in dust or water. I'm attributing it to the rubber "liner" of the rear sprocket... what is that thing, anyway? scratch
Back to top Go down
shredak

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyMon May 04, 2009 4:58 am

That rubber ring is garbage and needs to be removed.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyMon May 04, 2009 8:47 am

I don't have one thankfully, but I did read somewhere that someone went to great lengths to remove it and it was a real bitch. eeek

longtallsally

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyMon May 04, 2009 10:23 am

Not answering the above questions, but just wanted to update that following the procedure in the TSB posted thumb as well as a decent lube job, all is well. I thrashed a bit from pretty cold and even slipped the clutch for some mild wheelies (like I really know how to do them) and no slippy slippy.

Hope that helps out a bit...
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyMon May 04, 2009 2:43 pm

shredak wrote:

Thoughts on how to do that?
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyTue May 05, 2009 8:57 pm

MeefZah wrote:
shredak wrote:

Do a search over at TT. Somebody over there did it but I forget who it was. You might be better off just buying a new sprocket and save the headache.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyWed May 06, 2009 10:14 am

mwakey wrote:
MeefZah wrote:
shredak wrote:

Do a search over at TT. Somebody over there did it but I forget who it was. You might be better off just buying a new sprocket and save the headache.

I remember reading about that. Seems it was a PITA to remove. That being said, I have zero issues with mine. Just took the rear off to service the tire and looked at the sprocket. Looked in good condition, little to no wear. Of course this is all after I posted up awhile ago about the squeeling and slapping. All you fine folk helped me out on that one.
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Chain Slack   Chain Adjustment EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 3:19 pm

Would someone mind posting a pic of their correctly tensioned chain? I THINK mine is right according to Yamaha's specifications, however, after I installed the 12T my mesh/drive noise increased.... scratch

Thanks
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 12:15 pm

The service bulletin mentions using a special gage for this. I just kind of press up on the chain and am fairly confident with it.

I'm curious, does anyone use the type of gage the service bulletin mentions for getting the exact pressure?
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 6:24 pm

When I checked chain tension/slack after bringing the bike home new from the dealer, it was about 0.5" from the swingarm at various links on the chain when pressing up on the link at the distance specified in the TSB. If I applied the correct amount of pressure I've no idea... scratch It looks good from the dealer/factory... I checked again this afternoon just to make sure after worrying about damaged seals and bearings after reading a thread on ADVrider...

So for future TSB's we stay tuned to this forum, TT and perhaps the ADVrider Thumper section. Thanks mwakey thumb
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 9:32 pm

craigq wrote:
When I checked chain tension/slack after bringing the bike home new from the dealer, it was about 0.5" from the swingarm at various links on the chain when pressing up on the link at the distance specified in the TSB.

Seems like most folks have loose chains from the factory when the bike is new. At least that has been the story so far with the '08's. I would think they would be setting it according to the TSB at the factory for the newer '09 models, but maybe you just got a loose one. I don't have one of those tension gauges. I just take an educated guess at the proper force. Seems to be working good so far.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 2:12 am

ZED wrote:
I'm curious, does anyone use the type of gage the service bulletin mentions for getting the exact pressure?
I use a draw weight scale for archery... it does the trick, although the purpose-designed tool would be better.
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 10:24 am

I used a rapala fish scale, as Jäger said, It works but prolly not as easy as the tool.

I'm thinkin a hard push as an educated guess is just fine.
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Do you have stock sprockets   Chain Adjustment EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 11:58 am

Keep in mind too that the Yamaha chain tightening instructions are for stock 13/43 sprockets. If you have different gearing on you bike then this method is not usable.

As an FYI I like to check the chain slack with the swing arm in a horizontal position as that is the tightest it gets. Since I have a 13/46 gear on my bike this works very well for me. I just want to be sure I have a little slack in the chain and that it is not sloppy loose OR tight.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
derm75

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 12:15 pm

The link to the TSB for the correct chain tension doesn't seem to work anymore. Anybody remember the correct spec? I just need to write it down somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 12:25 pm

derm75 wrote:
The link to the TSB for the correct chain tension doesn't seem to work anymore. Anybody remember the correct spec? I just need to write it down somewhere.

Chain Adjustment Chaina10
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 1:06 pm

To this day I've never had a problem with chain adjustment. I just loosen the nuts and adjust the chain so I have about an inch and a bit between the swingarm and the chain, tighten them up and away I go. Never had any squealing or chain slap. Call it old skool but it worked for me. Chain Adjustment 29721

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:57 am

Thanks Jager! thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:59 am

SheWolf wrote:
To this day I've never had a problem with chain adjustment. I just loosen the nuts and adjust the chain so I have about an inch and a bit between the swingarm and the chain, tighten them up and away I go. Never had any squealing or chain slap. Call it old skool but it worked for me. Chain Adjustment 29721

Same here.....never had any issues.

Not until I got the WR that is.
Now it's just chain squeek after every instance when the chain gets wet.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Well I put on my 12T sprocket and it's great! The problem I noticed is that the chain is wearing flat on the inside. I have always had it tensioned by the method in the TSB mentioned above and only have 1200 miles on it. Is it normal for this kind of wear, or do I need to change my tension/lube? My riding is about 80% off road. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 3:22 pm

You mean that the rounded portions of each link plate is getting ground down a bit?
If so, sounds normal enough.
This can also happen on the outside due to chain guide wear.
Back to top Go down

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Right, the round parts are wearing flat. It just seemed unusual for the miles, but I am fairly new to chains. Most of my bikes have been belt drive, so I wanted to make sure I was treating the chain right. Ride more, Worry less!
Back to top Go down
Bob

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 11:26 pm

mwakey wrote:
craigq wrote:
When I checked chain tension/slack after bringing the bike home new from the dealer, it was about 0.5" from the swingarm at various links on the chain when pressing up on the link at the distance specified in the TSB.

Seems like most folks have loose chains from the factory when the bike is new. At least that has been the story so far with the '08's. I would think they would be setting it according to the TSB at the factory for the newer '09 models, but maybe you just got a loose one. I don't have one of those tension gauges. I just take an educated guess at the proper force. Seems to be working good so far.

0.5" is in the range of 8-13mm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chain Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Adjustment   Chain Adjustment Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain Adjustment
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next