Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Frogboy from UK

Go down 
+2
SheWolf
frogboy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
frogboy

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptyFri May 14, 2010 3:39 pm

Frogboy from UK 490865 blimmy that was scarry....

Hello, just got linked to this site from Adventure Rider Forum, i ride a Yamaha DT125, have yet to get a full licence but playing to do it soonish so i'm doing abit of resarch first, so why get a wr250r ? rather than a drz400 or a klx450 or whatever else seems to be better priced ?? Please tell me what makes the lickle wr so special...

cheers,
frogboy Frogboy from UK 61865
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Hey I recognize you! Welcome to the pack. Frogboy from UK 61865

As for the WR, it's new technology compared to old style such as you'd find in the other two bikes you mentioned. Maintenance intervals is also a huge benefit; this WR has an incredibly long valve adjustment (AFAIK, to date, nobody has had to adjust theirs after checking). The bike is basically bulletproof. I dunno, if I had the choice to by another one at the price? In a heartbeat. I owned a DT200 years ago, and that bike was phenomenal. I never thought I would be able to replace it...enter the WR. Where have you been all my life?!! Frogboy from UK 810411

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptyFri May 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi mate

I had a DT125R (still got it actually) and got a WR250R once I passed my test in December. Love the WR250R, its great off road for green laning and on road too. White one looks great. Highly recommended mate. Where abouts are you?
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptySat May 15, 2010 4:31 am

frogboy wrote:
Frogboy from UK 490865 blimmy that was scarry....

Hello, just got linked to this site from Adventure Rider Forum, i ride a Yamaha DT125, have yet to get a full licence but playing to do it soonish so i'm doing abit of resarch first, so why get a wr250r ? rather than a drz400 or a klx450 or whatever else seems to be better priced ?? Please tell me what makes the lickle wr so special...

cheers,
frogboy Frogboy from UK 61865
agree with the others re service interval/hi tech. City riding & commuting on the X are a blast! I'm still undecided whether I should have got the R, but there are so few 'green lanes' left in the UK, its a real niche thing. The other thing about these bikes is the handling - just so easy to bring out the hooligan element!! Also, I cannot see the point in a 150 mph + superbike for city commuting.....
Words of warning: Japanese Yen exchange rate makes these bikes VERY expensive at the moment, Yamaha are not currently offering decent finance deals, & the new price is higher than the XT660. But, the WR is 33BHP restricted license legal. Decisions.....
Back to top Go down
frogboy

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptySat May 15, 2010 4:53 am

Thanks guys,
@ SheWolf, yeah i'm on that Adventure riders site as well(doing my reserch). Frogboy from UK 61865
@ StevenT,
yeah i like the white one too i live in south east Wales Frogboy from UK 867936
@ mash100, I know the price tag is the only thing which puts me off, when i think of the other bikes out there and then think of the mods i'd like to make to it as well it all starts adding up, but its the long service intervals and the bullet proofness i'm intrested in, i'm not much of a mechanic. Its funny you say that about the R or the X i have the same trouble with my DT i got a DTx with the SM set up and think oh i wish i had an R lol yeah but green lanes are disapearing, join the TRF

Frogboy from UK 655907 I'm loving these Emotions
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptySat May 15, 2010 7:07 am

frogboy wrote:
Thanks guys,
@ SheWolf, yeah i'm on that Adventure riders site as well(doing my reserch). Frogboy from UK 61865
@ StevenT,
yeah i like the white one too i live in south east Wales Frogboy from UK 867936
@ mash100, I know the price tag is the only thing which puts me off, when i think of the other bikes out there and then think of the mods i'd like to make to it as well it all starts adding up, but its the long service intervals and the bullet proofness i'm intrested in, i'm not much of a mechanic. Its funny you say that about the R or the X i have the same trouble with my DT i got a DTx with the SM set up and think oh i wish i had an R lol yeah but green lanes are disapearing, join the TRF

Frogboy from UK 655907 I'm loving these Emotions
Yeah, I checked out TRF already, & also found a map of legal green lanes for whole of UK. Sadly, not much near me. However, there are literally thousands of nearby roundabouts ('traffic circles' for our friends accross the pond!) & plenty of industrial areas which are deserted on weekends. Just try to be discreet! I just wish there were more tyre choices in the UK......
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptySat May 15, 2010 10:06 am

We've got roundabouts here too. Probably roustabouts too. Frogboy from UK 851577

jason meacham

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptySat May 15, 2010 10:32 am

I can tell you, I'm glad I have a WRR, I almost bought a KLR650 and DRZ400 (a little cheaper than the WRR) but ended up with the WRR,,the more I ride it the more I'm happy with my decision..now that I finally did some mods, it is the perfect bike for the way I ride.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptySat May 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Rationalizing the additional cost is very easy.

Assume a $1000 difference in price and ten years of use.

Also assume that the mods and maintenance is a push no matter what bike you buy.

* doing the higher math* Ahem... * sharpening pencil * That works out to a grand total of ( ready for this ? )

$3.65/day. Roughly less the cost of a beer in a bar (chips are extra unless it's 'Happy Hour').

Throw in:

- The cost of buyer's remorse
- Medical bills from not having a more capable bike
- Repairs from crashing a less capable bike
- Bling response from your peers
- Hanging out with us

See ? The decision gets even easier !
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptyTue May 18, 2010 3:38 am

X-Racer wrote:
Rationalizing the additional cost is very easy.

Assume a $1000 difference in price and ten years of use.

Who keeps a bike for 10 years? I think even my R2 would be rusty & fried way before!!
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptyTue May 18, 2010 10:49 am

It was easy math...

But I did have an 85 CR250 I rode that long only because I was new in a career and had two kids, a mortgage and was unable, financially ( or otherwise financially responsible by threat of bodily harm by the "Then" wife) to replace it.

...and at my age I'll probably keep at least one or more of the bikes in the stable now for that long. If anything I'll buy the next gen WRXXXR.

P.S. Nothing in my garage is/will ever be "Rusty and Fried".
Frogboy from UK 61865
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptyTue May 18, 2010 2:21 pm

X-Racer wrote:

P.S. Nothing in my garage is/will ever be "Rusty and Fried". [/i]Frogboy from UK 61865
They would rust & fry to death if you had to keep them outside under a rain cover throughout the year in the UK like me!!!!! baldy
I have a mortgage & kids too - the day they 'fly the nest' I will buy a smaller house, but with a GIANT garage, complete with a new tool set!!
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptyTue May 18, 2010 7:02 pm

No kidding... We're pretty lucky here from that standpoint.

Even here by the beach there isn't too much salt fog. I do have a garage. ...and riding in the desert (most of where we ride) it is really only sandy (with some exceptions).

My German father had a M/C shop when I was a kid and it was mandatory that the bikes stayed in immaculate condition. I mean like the white rag test immaculate. If it didn't pass, you cleaned it all over again.

The up side of course was I had literally dozens of M/Cs. Call me "Lucky" - I know.

So while I've lost the white rag religion, they all get the same treatment.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptyWed May 19, 2010 6:45 am

X-Racer wrote:
No kidding... We're pretty lucky here from that standpoint.

Even here by the beach there isn't too much salt fog. I do have a garage. ...and riding in the desert (most of where we ride) it is really only sandy (with some exceptions).

My German father had a M/C shop when I was a kid and it was mandatory that the bikes stayed in immaculate condition. I mean like the white rag test immaculate. If it didn't pass, you cleaned it all over again.

The up side of course was I had literally dozens of M/Cs. Call me "Lucky" - I know.

So while I've lost the white rag religion, they all get the same treatment.
Hmmmm............. droooool
I heard that there are several methods to get a green card/US work permit, including: pay US immigration dept $500,000 (which sadly I do not have), or get someone in the US to offer you a job. Anyone interested on 'sponsoring' me on this forum?????? I would also consider Canada, or anywhere else for that matter where English is spoken & the 'summer' is not a grey washout................ baldy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK EmptyWed May 19, 2010 9:58 am

No salt fog here. The area I'm in is considered the Hawaii of Canada. Frogboy from UK 61865

Frogboy from UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frogboy from UK   Frogboy from UK Empty

Back to top Go down

Frogboy from UK
Page 1 of 1