Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition Empty
PostSubject: Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition   Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition EmptyTue May 18, 2010 1:52 am

So it seems to me that keeping dirt, mud, and water out of the ignition cannot be a bad thing. This kind of works:

Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition Key10

But, that's just a stopgap idea. What I think is really needed here is a rubber boot that goes over the entire key, a press fit over the ignition lock.

I'm sure I've seen something exactly like I'm looking for in the past. Anyone have any bright ideas of something in some hardware catalogue somewhere that might work?
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition   Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition EmptyTue May 18, 2010 2:20 am

I use a Trojan. Pre-lubed, and XL of course....

If you want to pee, wrap your key !
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition   Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition EmptyTue May 18, 2010 12:10 pm

X-Racer wrote:
I use a Trojan. Pre-lubed, and XL of course....

If you want to pee, wrap your key !
Yeah, that's an obvious thought and we did it with our weapons back in the military as well.

However, we now have plastic caps that slip over the entire flash eliminator. Much more durable, weatherproof, and last forever (or until you forget to take it off before pulling the trigger).

So I'm looking for the same idea for the bike. Something the same diameter as this cap, but tall enough that it covers the entire key.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition   Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition EmptyTue May 18, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm sure I've seen something like this on a Volvo Penta marine engine control panel in a yacht - not sure if you could bastardise a Volvo key & bond it to a Yamaha key though.....
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition   Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition EmptyTue May 18, 2010 4:21 pm

It's never a bad idea to keep crud out of stuff but the ign switches are different from what you may think, internally the lock and the switch are separated
Two reasons
One is if a dirtbag tries to turn the ignition with a screwdriver it will break in a specific way and the switch will not function even if the lock turns
There is a powder metal cage around the tumbler that shatters
Two is that they have had problems in the past with water intrusion, so even a pressure washer couldn't get water into the contacts

Just make sure whatever cover you use doesn't deteriorate and get tiny chunks of plastic in the lock tumbler when you insert your key
Believe it or not I have seen the little plastic ring that covers the label get into the lock and screw it up, dude couldn't turn the key

Yamaha outboard keys have a little diaper on them and I have seen ign switches with a rubber boot
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition   Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition EmptyTue May 18, 2010 6:35 pm

I was thinking that maybe a setup like I have on my Wolverine. The whole top end of the key is encased in a rubber cover and when inserted into the ignition, covers the whole ignition.

Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition IMG_1313

Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition IMG_1314

Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition IMG_1315

PostSubject: Re: Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition   Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition Empty

Back to top Go down

Keepin' the dirt out of the ignition
Page 1 of 1