Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Lacing Spare Rims

Go down 
+9
abchel
joups
Crazy Monkey
SheWolf
ZED
xcel
yellowredlight
X-Racer
Navajib
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Navajib

Navajib

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyWed May 19, 2010 6:43 am

Has anyone laced their own rims? I have an X, but I want R wheels too. Lacing Spare Rims 93746

I'm looking into lacing my own set of extra dirt wheels to save cost, as I like to learn and work on my bikes.

Aside from aftermarket companies, I considered pricing if I went w OEM (from seattleyamaha):
Lacing Spare Rims Pricing-vi

Hub + Spokes + Rim + #3,#10,#11,#5 + #2x2 + #4x2 = $330.38 (Shipping around ~$25)

Now, an aftermarket 21" rim and $15 ebay seals/bearings can reduce cost. As so misc. discounts and used parts. A complete front wheel for under $500 is what I'm aiming for (wheel + rotor + tires/tube).
I don't think I'm missing anything. Lacing Spare Rims Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyWed May 19, 2010 11:08 am

Naja: It's not worth it IMO. Some things are simply better left to experts.

Otherwise, you'll need a truing stand and a lot of time.
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyWed May 19, 2010 11:32 am

X-Racer wrote:
Naja: It's not worth it IMO. Some things are simply better left to experts.

Otherwise, you'll need a truing stand and a lot of time.

its not that bad, and you dont need a truing stand.

do it up man!
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyWed May 19, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi Navajib:

I worked at a Schwinnn shop as a kid (30 + years ago mind you) and lacing wheels was an ordeal the first time around. After the third, you were a pro. I loved building cross four w/ an over the top pattern and some .080/0.060/0.080 spokes on 20” BMX wheels. They were stiff as hell and pinged like an iron coming into contact with a Titlist... Truing wheels is the real art. Easy to do but only after your fourth or fifth wheel did you get any good at it. You do not lace up wheels and they come out even and true by any stretch.

What I would suggest to save some bucks is that you take your wheels into a bicycle shop. One of the kids can lace those baby's up in about an hour, on and off the truing stand and complete in less than two. Pull in a pic of some OEM rims so he or she will know to cross 3 or 4.

Bicycle mechanics know lacing. Motorcycle mechanics probably have a lot less experience and shop rates are probably double.

Good Luck

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyWed May 19, 2010 11:33 pm

I was a bicycle mechanic in a former life. Back then I built wheels regularly and trued wheels daily. Sometimes I'd build a wheel with different lacing patterns and parts combos just to see how it turned out. I think my mountain bike is still running a set of road hubs with cut down road rims laced two cross.

If I was still in practice I would buy the parts and lace my own dirt wheels for my WRX. However, I am not in practice and therefore will not. For about $600 in parts you can spend days with the parts and a book and learn to do it yourself, or for about $800 and change I think you can buy a set. It depends upon how patient you are and how much free time you have. Life is short. Ride it to the end!

One day I may buy a set. For now I just stick to pavement, grass, rock, and sand. I avoid mud where possible.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyThu May 20, 2010 10:34 am

Woo! More mud for me! Lacing Spare Rims 525406 Lacing Spare Rims 93746

ZED

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:44 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Woo! More mud for me! Lacing Spare Rims 525406 Lacing Spare Rims 93746

Yup, I'll get out there on my little bugger with street tires and you'll see just how much mud I'll leave for you. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Crazy Monkey

Crazy Monkey

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyThu May 27, 2010 9:13 pm

Lacing a rim is extremely easy with the right tools, and extremely diffacult without them. Most dealerships and shops have a jug for this, if you can find one cheep, I would say go for it, but odds are its cheaper to have it done then buy the jig
Back to top Go down
Navajib

Navajib

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyFri May 28, 2010 5:56 am

My best friend just laced her a pair of xr100 motard rims with some help from a
mechanic guru.
I didn't think about a bicycle shop at all. I will look into that too.
Every dollar counts when your my age and going to school. Lacing Spare Rims Lol
Big bend trip in August so definitely looking at a 21" rim to handle some trails better. I tried the MT21s, but I didn't like the front end so much. Suspension definitely needs upgrade, but I will work with what I got. Lacing Spare Rims 93746
Back to top Go down
joups

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 7:40 pm

It is pretty straight forward and easier then lacing bicycle wheels.
A tip on the bearings, is to put the bearing in a seal plastic bag pop it in the freezer and cool it down. For the hub use a heat gun to heat it to 93C (200F) and then the bearings should just drop it in.
Back to top Go down
abchel

abchel

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 11:22 pm

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/1/12/index.shtml

Dirt Wheels Set WR250X
Yamaha OEM spec. billet WR250X hubs, polished stainless spokes, 21" fromt and 18" rear. Hubs available in red, blue, gold or black. All rims are black, unless you want to do a custom order, where options include colored spokes, nipples and red, blue or silver rims. Pricing for custom orders determined by options selected. Call toll-free 1-888-274-0886 for more info on ordering customer wheel sets $850
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 5:14 pm

http://www.buchananspokes.net/

it is not a dark art, i do my own in an hour.yamaha sport plaza is the cheepest i can find new. if its all about cost a early RM wheel slips right on,you will need to change your brake.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 6:23 pm

I called around to bicycle shops in my area about doing some for my 50.
They didn't want anything to do with them.
Ended up trying it myself, not to bad.
I say give it a shot before you pay someone.
Here is the video I watched to help me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CUuugCn4eY
Back to top Go down

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Since we're on the topic of lacing, I'm considering relacing my Front OEM WRR hub to a 18" hoop (instead of relacing both to 17"). Has anyone successfully tried this. I know I should just contact buchanenspokes.net and ask for them to figure it out but I like a good project. Very happy
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 5:33 pm

got a 19in on an x hub,this one came from forest at Wheeiing.
Back to top Go down

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 10:45 am

dtx wrote:
got a 19in on an x hub,this one came from forest at Wheeiing.

How do you like the 19" up front? My only concern is the limited amount of good sticky tires you can find in that size. Any trouble with this?
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 7:24 pm

19 inch tires are supper common they dont turn in as fast as 17in but overall its good.

https://2img.net/h/i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/shorttrack915/050109_18041.jpg

one of my spare sets is 19-2.15 front and 18-2.50 rear run on dunlop k180 tires for a dtx setup

https://2img.net/h/i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/shorttrack915/yhst-30309144973280_2040_12140236.jpg
Back to top Go down
AJBsays

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:07 am

do these rims have offsets?
Back to top Go down
bikebums

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: WR250R front wheel lacing   Lacing Spare Rims EmptySat Aug 27, 2022 4:40 pm

The front wheel of the R model has two different spoke lengths. Can anyone tell me the correct spoke configuration (inside/outside, left/right) for this wheel so I can inform a fellow rider where the short ones go. Vs the long ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lacing Spare Rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacing Spare Rims   Lacing Spare Rims Empty

Back to top Go down

Lacing Spare Rims
Page 1 of 1