Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

The 2010 X Arrives :)

Go down 
+12
Medski
SuperSize
eyty
Vortac
mash100
Jersey Devil
X-Racer
deerHater
motokid
Matty
SheWolf
xcel
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
xcel

xcel

The 2010 X Arrives :) Empty
PostSubject: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyWed May 26, 2010 4:58 am

Hi All:

Picked up the 10 just before closing time yesterday afternoon…

My office away from home for the next two months or so

The 2010 X Arrives :) 2010_Yamaha_WR250X_in_the_drive_RP
The 2010 X Arrives :) 2010_Yamaha_WR250X_in_the_drive_LR
The 2010 X Arrives :) 2010_Yamaha_WR250X_in_the_drive_URP

The 2010 Yamaha WR250X Review Has Begun…

As I posted at ADV and here, thanks to all for the inspiration and assistance. It has made this bike one of the more special ones by far!

The 2010 X Arrives :) 2010_Yamaha_WR250X_LR_News
The 2010 X Arrives :) 2010_Yamaha_WR250X_RR_News

Heading out for a little 130 mile ride to Road America for some track time in a few minutes and I feel like a kid on Christmas morning Very happy

Giant Loop Great Basin and Fandango Tank Bags are kick @$$ as well thumb

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyWed May 26, 2010 10:22 am

Grats on the sweet bike, Wayne! You're gonna have fun on your adventure. The 2010 X Arrives :) 61865 The 2010 X Arrives :) 525406

Matty

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyWed May 26, 2010 11:07 am

have fun and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri May 28, 2010 3:30 am

Hi She Wolf and Matty:

Thank you and I had a very enjoyable time on the X the past two days Very happy

The 2010 X Arrives :) Tank_1_-_Low_Fuel_-_3_miles_in
0.3 miles into Low Fuel. From initial top off, she went 156.3 miles (OEM Odometer/guess gauge) before the dreaded low fuel light appeared.

The 2010 X Arrives :) Tank_1_-_156_6_miles_and_3_miles_into_low_fuel
156.6 miles into this Review Tank #1 when I snapped the pics.

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri May 28, 2010 7:20 am

Please don't take this the wrong way....

156.3 miles on 1.5 gallons of gas equals about 104 mpg.

Dude....holy shit...... The 2010 X Arrives :) 640571 The 2010 X Arrives :) Suspect

I've never seen better about 55 mpg....and usually I'm closer to 50 mpg.

Needless to say you are riding way differently than most people.

So what are you doing, and not doing, to get over 100 mpg????

You are not hitting rev limiter?
Short-shifting every gear?
Always 10 mph under speed limit?
Lots of coasting?
You don't live in highly populated area with lots of stop lights?
Very smooth throttle modulation?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:25 am

Hi Motokid:

Staying just below 55 mph in the far right lane while in the 55 mph zones, and holding approximately 35 mph in sixth in the 35 mph zones when running through smaller towns. Milwaukee’s Interstates are 55 mph rated but once outside, they bump up to 65 mph and that is when I moved to the State routes vs. Interstates. From the IL/WI border to South of Chicago, the interstates are all PSL’ed at 55 mph so no problem there.

When running through towns, if a light up ahead was stale green or yellow, time to coast in. If there was a rabbit behind, I would allow them to pass to trip the light ahead so it’s green (most of the time) by the time I arrived to it. If I did get caught at a red, time to pull over to the side and shut the WR down. Running through the smaller suburbs of Milwaukee is actually a lot of fun on the WR’s as you engage with the texters in the 4 wheel cages with hyper awareness. Some of the crap you can see people doing from the slightly elevated position of the WR is amazing… A lot of people reading stuff while driving in North Milwaukee for some reason???

I had an ~ 10 mph tail wind from Elkhart Lake, WI back to the IL/WI border which surely helped. The other 60 + miles were headwinds/cross winds/no wind.

Regarding acceleration and shifting, just enough speed so that the next gear would not lug with a very relaxed acceleration.

As you all know and I am just finding out, the WR smooth’s out from 40 mph indicated on up in sixth. She will even climb 3 and 4% grades in sixth (around Elkhart Lake there were a few of those albeit less than ½ mile long) if above 40 mph (indicated) which was surprising. Drop to 39 mph and a downshift was needed. Drop below 33 and another downshift to fourth at which point you could climb anything and hold speed while still maintaining maybe 500 to 1,000 R’s above lug. Guessing as to the RPM’s and oh boy do I wish the WR had a tach! When on the flats, I could drop all of those shift points by 5 mph and the WR felt no worse for the wear. After 43 to 44 mph on the slab, the WR felt like it began wasting Rev’s for an incremental increase in speed. When I did ride very short portions of I-94 and I-43 to an indicated 65 mph, she was really starting to gyrate. I think I understand Yamaha’s OEM gearing selection however. They wanted to reach peak power in fifth or sixth at an aero drag limited terminal velocity of ~ 90 mph. There is a lot of wasted REV’s from 40 to 65 mph indicated in doing so and I hope some sprocket and rear tire circumference gearing changes will take care of some of that.

Another interesting thing I experienced last night was the increased power allowing lower speeds in the same gear during colder night time temps. Although RRc and aero drag increase quickly due to lower pavement temps and increased air density as the sun goes down and temperatures fall, power output from a change in air density was easily felt in the WR. While we all know why it happens, to actually feel the change through a small temperature delta was fascinating to me. In a nutshell, the 50 to 55 degree night time temperatures and the resultant increased air density allow the WR to pull sixth as low as 32 to 33 mph indicated without any upset to the engine or the bike. Climbing out of that speed range needs to be done with great care of course but just another data point for me to consider on some of the more lengthy night time rides. Fuel economy at that low a temp is probably lower but at least you can drop a few R's to get some of it back?

I still have a whole slew of things to do over the next few days regarding trips into downtown Chicago and Milwaukee, the run out which I might be able to accomplish today or tomorrow and some speed range and technique work with shorter fill intervals but it will probably bore most of you since you have already ridden your WR/X’s through all those conditions already.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri May 28, 2010 11:22 am

Wayne,

Did you go through the break-in period before starting your extremely high MPG mileage with extremely low RPM riding?

This little 250 loves to be reved, wondering if such low RPM riding is bad for the engine??

I keep thinking that poor little WRX is having no fun! The 2010 X Arrives :) 613970
The 2010 X Arrives :) 93746
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri May 28, 2010 11:34 am

Hi DeerHater:

While I have read quite a bit about the high revving and quick break-in procedure most here would normally employ, I am using Yamaha's recommended minimal amount of time above 1/2 throttle for the first 1,000 miles.

Not to take anything away from either method but this is a Yamaha recommendation and fits my riding style so I will leave it at that amazon

By the time I hit the Rockies and Sierra Nevada's on a much longer distance ride in July or August, she will have the miles to pull out the stops for a little longer period.

Regarding fun, I had the time of my life on this bike yesterday in the urban centers. I really get pumped up in traffic which is why I like to ride the inner city slabs so much. Having it for the extended period is making this so much easier than those quick hit LA and NJ/NY type reviews. I cannot wait to install the Distanzia's for a little off-roading next month as well.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri May 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Re mileage: Any consideration for speedo error ? It could be as much as perhaps 7-8% less miles than measured ?
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri May 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi X-Racer:

I will be doing those tests early next week...

I hope the new X's are not as far off as the R's but I have the feeling they are. I saw at least 2.1 miles and possibly 2.2 miles tick by on the OEM Trip A after 2.0 miles of highway markers so that too is a problem. The new taller gearing coming in next week plus the 130/80x17 Distanzia's should both help with this as well. They will probably over shoot in fact?

I have gotten exactly 0 work done today so I cannot go and have fun on the new WR in the garage this afternoon cry

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri May 28, 2010 5:26 pm

Quote excel;
"Running through the smaller suburbs of Milwaukee is actually a lot of fun on the WR’s as you engage with the texters in the 4 wheel cages with hyper awareness. Some of the crap you can see people doing from the slightly elevated position of the WR is amazing… A lot of people reading stuff while driving in North Milwaukee for some reason???"

Well living in Athens and with the University of Georgia here I ride thru town a lot. And I see plenty of leg and more The 2010 X Arrives :) 810411 from the fine co-eds and business skirt wearing professionals here in our nice town.!!! Yay summertime skimpy clothes!!!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:35 pm

The stock speedo is off, but it's my understanding the odometer is not.

So when you correct the speed, you throw off the odometer.

It's the worst, or best of two evils. Depending on what you want to monitor.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi Motokid:

Boy I sure hope the odometer on the X is close as that means the FE achieved so far is real and not a figment of my imagination Very happy

And for something completely different…

Meet the Nomad!

Would you sleep with your X or R if offered the opportunity? I would say most would wink

The 2010 X Arrives :) Closed_Medium

Open Sesame

The 2010 X Arrives :) Open_Medium

While this tent is more of a big displacement base camp solution, I may be taking it with me on the X. I will certainly put it through its paces on the GS next month but if I can make it fit, why not give the X just as much loving care?

I will try and keep that blog live with a weekly update but for now, the only thing left to do is take it down and pray it fit back into the stuff sack(s)...

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: <   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Awesome tent. Just awesome.

Read this thread: speedo corrector

There's some specific discussion on odometer and speedometer there.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyMon May 31, 2010 1:36 am

Hi All:

First tank complete.

The 2010 X Arrives :) 3457

220.8 miles on 2.094 gallons (Top off to MT) = 105.44 mpg. 62 miles into Low Fuel when she finally ran dry... Well sort of ran dry. I will try and post some pics, more detail and a ride report later.

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyMon May 31, 2010 10:41 am

That's impressive, Wayne! The 2010 X Arrives :) 61865

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi All:

A little detail and some pics regarding the WR250X’s first tank.

I topped off from Yamahas first fill near Waldo, WI just south of Elkhart Lake, WI for the MAMA Spring Rally as previously posted last week.

2010 Yamaha WR250X Elkhart Lake, WI to Home Ride

A few miles ridden around the IL/WI border area and yesterdays business meeting with the MiHG from Wadsworth, IL to Milwaukee’s Museum of Art, Milwaukee’s Miller Park, to Winthrop harbor, IL and back out to Wadsworth, IL.

2010 Yamaha WR250X Milwaukee Ride

Enough of the routes already :rolleyes:

I filled a 1 quart plastic container with .240 gallons of Premium at a local BP before I crossed the IL/WI border. I was already 33 + miles into low Fuel when I left home so I had better have a little reserve to get from fuel starve to a local station and thus the small container with enough air inside to allow for some vapor expansion.

On the way to Milwaukee, I began to run out just after I began a western leg on Highway 20 about 1-mile from I-94. As she would sputter and the weight transfer would move to the front, some more fuel would enter the fuel pump and it would spring to life for another two or three blocks. This was repeated for about a mile. Do not try this at home as it raises hell with fuel pumps… At least if you are on a flat road, you have another .75 to 1-mile range as she begins to reach fuel starvation. After about 4 or 5 of these events, she finally ran completely out. I was still above 30 mph and coasted into a Shell on HWY 20 and I-94 in Sturtevant, WI.

2010 Yamaha WR250X – First Tank Detail

Filled .240 gallons of Premium into a small container at a local BP in Wadsworth, IL. Coasted completely empty into a Shell in Sturtevant, WI.
The 2010 X Arrives :) First_Tank_Collage
64.5 miles into Low Fuel at complete Fuel Starve and 220.8 miles on Tank #1 from top off to empty.

The 2010 X Arrives :) First_Tank_Collage_2
Top off with .24 gallon container and 1.854 gallons form the pump… Spilled approximately 0.05 or so gallons with the too large an opening container and the fast pump. I did count it as fuel consumed GAHHHH

Final Tally: 0.240 + 1.854 gallons/220.8 miles (Trip A and Odometer from first top off to odometer at Fuel Starve matched) = 105.44 mpg.

Now that that ordeal is over, I traveled to a local Culver’s to meet with Bradlee and Justin Fons of the Milwaukee Hybrid Group for a business meet. A few Pepsi’s later; it was time to hit the road again. While in Milwaukee, I may as well see some sights?

2010 Yamaha WR250X to see some of Milwaukee’s famous landmarks

The 2010 X Arrives :) Quadracci_Pavilion_by_Architect_Santiago_Calatrava
The Milwaukee Museum of Art's - Quadracci Pavilion

The Quadracci Pavilion is a sculptural, postmodern addition designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. Highlights of the building are the magnificent cathedral-like space of Windhover Hall, with a vaulted a 90-foot-high glass ceiling; the Burke Brise Soleil, a moveable sunscreen with a 217-foot wingspan that unfolds and folds twice daily; and the Reiman Bridge, a pedestrian suspension bridge that connects the Museum to the city.

My nephew who is attending the Milwaukee School of Engineering said one of the sections was so large it had to be flow from Europe to Milwaukee on an Antonov AN-225, the largest transport plane in existence.

The 2010 X Arrives :) Quadracci_Pavilion_by_Architect_Santiago_Calatrava_2
The WR250X in front of the Quadracci Pavilion fountain.

From there, it was a quick ride down the lakefront (actually trying to find a good way west towards Milwaukee’s Miller Park, home of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Once I got onto Wisconsin Avenue, it was a straight shot to the stadium. I belive the Yankee’s were playing the Brew Crew at Miller yesterday but this was a few hours after the game had ended.

The 2010 X Arrives :) 2010_Yamaha_WR250X_at_Miller_Park
Any closer and I would have been inside Very happy

If you want to go see a MLB game, Miller Park is easily one of the best. Not too much of a rip-off for parking, great employees, clean as a whistle and a very comfortable park to attend a game at.

If I had more time, I would have stopped in at the Harley Museum plus added some pics of the X on the shores of Lake Michigan. I will try and get some of those on my ride to Chicago sometime this week…

It may not be the Grand Canyon, Moab or Big Sur, for a slab rider from the Midwest, it is about as good as it gets ;)

Good Luck

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi All:

I missed one from my ride into Milwaukee last week... This is Friday's at Miller Park. While open year round, it is a Sports Bar that overlooks the infield. If you ever need a fix to see an actual ball field in the middle of winter, this is a pretty nice place to visit.

The 2010 X Arrives :) 2010_Yamaha_WR250X_at_Miller_Park_-_Fridays

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 3:09 am

Hi All:

A little ride into the Windy City today… One of my most challenging rides due to traffic and stop sign after stop sign along my chosen route.

First stop...
Evanston Beach

The 2010 X Arrives :) X_on_Evanston_Beach

Motorcycles are great as there is no gate that can hold them back… Don’t tell the Evanston Police how this WR250X got onto the beach road ;)

Low Fuel Appears a bit early this time around

The 2010 X Arrives :) 147_9_miles_-_Low_Fuel_Appears_Collage1

Tank 2 hits low fuel at 147.9 miles. That is about 8 miles short of last tanks Low Fuel.

The Chicago River

The 2010 X Arrives :) X_at_the_Chicago_River

The X at the Chicago River.

The Chicago River flows through Downtown Chicago but there are two items that make it notable. First, it used to flow into Lake Michigan. Today, it flows to the Mississippi river. And second is what every Chicagoan knows happens on St. Patrick’s Day. The city dye’s the river green!

The John Hancock Building

The 2010 X Arrives :) X_at_John_Hancock_Building

Looking up at the John Hancock Building from almost underneath the WR250X.

John Hancock Center Building Facts

• Completed in 1970
  • 100-story mixed-use complex
  • 896,980 sf of office space
  • 171,771 sf of retail
  • 17,371 sf observatory on the 94th floor
  • 34,307 sf TV and radio broadcast facility
  • 49 floors of residential condominiums

Millennium Park CloudGate

The 2010 X Arrives :) X_at_the_Millenium_Park_Bean

At Millennium Park with CloudGate (otherwise known as the Bean) in the background. Chicago police were all over me anytime I crossed that darn rope so that was as close as I could get :ccry:

Cloud Gate is British artist Anish Kapoor's first public outdoor work installed in the US. The 110-ton elliptical sculpture is forged of a seamless series of highly polished stainless steel plates, which reflect the city's famous skyline and the clouds above. A 12-foot-high arch provides a "gate" to the concave chamber beneath the sculpture, inviting visitors to touch its mirror-like surface and see their image reflected back from a variety of perspectives.

Inspired by liquid mercury, the sculpture is among the largest of its kind in the world, measuring 66-feet long by 33-feet high. Cloud Gate sits upon the AT&T Plaza within Chicago’s Millennium Park.

Art Institute of Chicago

The 2010 X Arrives :) In_Front_of_the_Art_Institute_of_Chicago

Some Chicago visitors were happy to help by taking my Canon and snap this one… The Art Institute of Chicago Lions with Blackhawk helmets. Can anyone figure out why that is Very happy

The Art Institute of Chicago is featuring the artist Henri Mattise until late June with 120 of his most ambitious and experimental paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints from the period. Matisse himself acknowledged the significance of these years when he identified two paintings, Bathers by a River and The Moroccans, as among his most pivotal. These monumental canvases from the collections of the Art Institute of Chicago and the Museum of Modern Art, New York, inspired the collaborative work of this exhibition and serve as major touchstones within it. This is the first exhibition to offer an in-depth investigation of Matisse’s art from this time, revealing information uncovered through extensive new art-historical, archival, and technical research.

Buckingham Fountain

The 2010 X Arrives :) X_in_front_of_Buckingham_Fountain

Chicago’s Buckingham Fountain with the center fountain flowing at full pressure and height!

The Fountain, one of the largest in the world, begins its show every hour on the hour for 20 minutes. What is the show? The Fountain produces a major water display and the center jet shoots 150 feet into the air. Beginning at dusk, every hour on the hour for 20 minutes the Fountain's major water display is accompanied by a major light and music display.

Buckingham Fountain History
  • One of Chicago's most popular attractions.
  • The Fountain opened on May 26, 1927. It was dedicated on August 26, 1927.
  • Edward H. Bennett designed the Fountain to represent Lake Michigan with four sea horses, built by Marcel Loyau, to symbolize the four states that touch the lake: Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan. Bennett attributed the design specifically to the influence of the Latona Basin in Louis XIV's gardens at Versailles.
  • Kate Buckingham dedicated the structure to the people of Chicago in 1927 in memory of her late brother, Clarence. At the time, she also established a $300,000 trust fund to ensure that the taxpayers would never have to cover all of the repair and upkeep costs associated with the fountain.
  • The funds for the $2.8 million restoration that was done in 1994 came from the Buckingham Fountain Endowment Fund, which the Art Institute of Chicago has administered. Funds from the Buckingham Fountain Endowment Fund also helped fund a portion of the 2008-2009 project.
  • The Fountain is constructed of Georgia pink marble.
    Navy Pier

The 2010 X Arrives :) X_overlooking_Navy_Pier

Overlooking Chicago’s Navy Pier. Don’t ask how I took this pic but it had something to do with standing in the middle of Lake Shore Drive ;)

Navy Pier is a 3,300-foot long pier on Chicago’s Lake Michigan shore. The pier was built in 1916 at a cost of $4.5 million and was a part of the Plan of Chicago developed by architect and city planner Daniel Burnham.

It is one of Chicago's most famous tourist attractions offering a number of Lake Michigan sightseeing tours and a dinner cruise on the Spirit of Chicago, The Odyssey, and the Mystic Blue. Other attractions include the World Famous Ferris Wheel, the Children’s Museum, an IMAX theater, and the Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows.

This coming August brings to Chicago the "Tall Ships" with real working tall ships coming pier side for all to view.

Wrigley Field

The 2010 X Arrives :) X_in_front_of_Wrigley

Final stop before heading home… If you do not know where this is, heaven help you. We are still counting on taking a World Series before the second century of MLB is over :rolleyes:

Maybe the following will help? The Cubs became the first team to record three consecutive World Series appearances and two consecutive World Series victories with both championship wins coming off the heels of a record one-hundred sixteen victory season of 1906. In 1908, Chicago's West Side franchise was more than just a winning baseball team; they had just become sports first official "dynasty".

And since that time… I watched many a game in 1969 and for some god forsaken reason I can still name most of the players from that team. Unfortunately the miracle Mets stole the show.

Does anyone want to know about the Billy Goat curse?
    Second Tank Details

The 2010 X Arrives :) 212_5_miles_on_2_124_gallons_100_04_mpg_-_Collage2

212.5 miles on 2.124 gallons = 100.44 mpg.

Whooa, that was close… It started to do the run out for ¼ of a block and run for 2 to 3 blocks routine at fuel starve. This time I was slightly ahead of last tanks fuel starve game per the Low Fuel but they were within .5 miles of one another. That Low Fuel sensor appears to be pretty darn accurate when riding smooth surfaces!

I was next to one station (forgot which brand it was) and about ½ mile ahead was a Speedway in Waukegan, IL. I risked it and chose the Speedway. After the third fuel starve cycle occurred, I pulled in the clutch and glided into the station ICE-Off.

Final tally, 212.5 miles on 2.124 gallons = 100.04 mpg with only a few drops not getting into the tank. The first tank was on some 93 Octane Premium in East Central WI that had no ethanol. This tank was 91 Octane laced with 10% of that corn garbage. The 10% ethanol fuel should have nicked about 2 t o2.5%. The other 2% loss probably came from the stop sign and light to stop sign and light in and around Chicago proper. SOB that was a lot of work today and my clutch hand is aching!

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 9:19 am

Wayne, how do you get that mileage? Even taking into account the difference between imperial & US gallons, my X does around 60MPG (UK imperial), which I believe is approx. 72MPG (US gallon). Sometimes I ride like I stole it, normally I ride tight twisty 'B' roads, changing gear every few seconds to keep the engine in the power band around 8000 RPM. I have 3800 miles on the clock, & probably won't keep it much past 10 to 15000 (subject to cash....). I have heard the motor is bomb-proof, & I certainly didn't buy it to see how much gas mileage I could get wink
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi Mash100:

Techniques and routes to maintain speed and/or efficiency... While I have yet to pull out the stops and go into a full blown P&G routine, the WR250X is a darn efficient performance machine and I love riding it. My review time with it is coming near to an end unfortunately with only some data collection segments, Adventure Touring Project Bike build and the ride back to LA left to perform.

The following basic treatise should get you started: Beating the EPA - The Why's and How to Hypermile.

The purpose of my reviews is to find out how efficient a bike, car or truck can be. Everyone loves to hear of the 0 to 60 times and how much HP is available but I like to know how far one can drive on a single tank of fuel and in concert, what kind of fuel economy can be extracted from the bike, car or truck in question. Sustainability at its finest imho.

Way OT now... Regarding the reasons why, 9/11 was an awful day here in the States and I just happened to find a profession in which I can teach others how to drive more efficiently no matter what they own and drive as well. Reducing ones fuel consumption is all we can do on an individual basis. Waiting for the manufacturers or Government to give it to us let alone "Eco-Driving" has been wasting our time and precious natural resources for well over 30-years.

You all have one hell of a bike and I wish I owned it for myself.

While I have been posting the numbers, does anyone care about the ride reports and the Chicago and Milwaukee area locations the WR250X has been in the past two weeks? The WR ADV thread has gone off the deep end about this as well? I was a bit perturbed that some of the heavy hitters at ADV were beating up on She Wolf and her FE long before the WR arrived here in IL and I could not wait to find out for myself!

TIA

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi All:

I finally got around to setting up the Chicago Ride Route: 2010 Yamaha WR250X Chicago Ride

This route offered the best views along what Chicago area residents call the North Shore and inside of Chicago proper. If you are ever in the Chicago area (with your WR's or other), I am sure you will find the views worthy of your time and effort as well The 2010 X Arrives :) 93746

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 4:42 pm

Hey Wayne, how's the riding going? The 2010 X Arrives :) 61865

xcel

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 6:42 pm

Hi SheWolf:

I spent so much time in the WRR and ADV WR Forums the past 48-hours that I am falling behind on my own forum work so I had to spend the day catching up instead of riding :(

With a storm rolling in and the Blackhawks at home for tonight’s Stanley Cup game beginning in less than 2-hours, tonight is shot too...

Although the RAM-Mount did not arrive, I think I will head out tomorrow with the Garmin or TomTom in the Giant Loop Fandango bag's see through top cover so I can get the speedometer/odometer offset error data knocked out. Then write the review and get ready for the WR250X's modding process... The part that you and so many others in the WRR forum have already enjoyed to the nth degree The 2010 X Arrives :) 810411 And I cannot wait as I have boxes of WR250X farkles stacked to the ceiling waiting to install too!

On another note, I have small Review write-up on the Throttle Rockers in process. When I complete it, would you mind adding a paragraph or two describing your on-off-road experience with them with credit extending back to your contribution? So far, for heavy open slab work, they are a life saver. For inner city work, they work but sometimes get in the way when decelerating and at a stop. Overall, a huge plus on the cost, a plus for long rides to help get rid of that carpal tunnel tingling numbness and a slight negative for inner city work. I have no idea how they work for you and others while off-road however? They do make the WR look fast even when the bike is standing still too Very happy

Without your early write-up in the Cruise Control thread, I would not have known Throttle Rockers even existed so like I mentioned over at ADV:
Quote :
SheWolf, I hope you stay connected to the WR community for a good long while. There is much to be learned from your perspective. And those Throttle Rockers are a great addition for the long stretches of slab!

Good Luck

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 6:48 pm

Sure, if you want that I can certainly provide. The 2010 X Arrives :) 61865 It's interesting watching the eyerolling with the MPG debate. What was called bullshit again was proved what can be done, on any vehicle with an engine. Sure it's fun to ride, it's also interesting to see just what can be squeezed out and the tactics used to do it. The 2010 X Arrives :) 619190

PostSubject: Re: The 2010 X Arrives :)   The 2010 X Arrives :) Empty

Back to top Go down

The 2010 X Arrives :)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next