Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Front sprocket on and off and on and off

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

Front sprocket on and off and on and off Empty
PostSubject: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyThu May 27, 2010 12:41 pm

I take my spocket on and off freqently. Is there a better way to lock it?
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyThu May 27, 2010 12:43 pm

Yes, don't. I can't speak for everyone but the last two times I swapped sprockets I just tightened it. I didn't bang the tabs in.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyThu May 27, 2010 1:09 pm

That's problably what I'll do, but I'm still trying to think of a way to secure it.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyFri May 28, 2010 7:21 am

Captain Midnight wrote:
I take my spocket on and off freqently.

Define 'frequently".

And why do you change it so much?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:50 am

I'm guessing going from highway to technical stuff back to highway riding. Front sprocket on and off and on and off 29721

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyFri May 28, 2010 8:02 pm

I'm going on a poker run Sunday, with 13-45 gearing. I'll drive 100 highway miles to the event. I will then change the 13 to a 12, ride 75 miles of woods, then put the 13 back on to ride the 100 miles of highway home. I don't have to change the sprocket, but the 12-45 gearing is a little buzzy at 70 MPH.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:49 pm

So change your rear sprocket once to a 46t or 47t and get the best of both worlds without having to make those changes so often. Split the difference. Or take less highway. I honestly don't notice that much annoyance on the super-slab with a 12t...but I don't ride 100 miles on it either.

Obviously it's your decision and your call...but damn....how often are yo changing the front sprocket in any given month?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:56 pm

To each their own I suppose. I run a 12/43, and it's great offroad, and still whippy on the tarmac. The only time I would consider going to a 45 on the back is if I was doing super technical stuff like rock/log hopping or gnarly hill climbing. For trails and single track the 12/43 (for me) has worked, and once I hit the pavement I can rip it up still. I was contemplating the 45 and was also told it would be buzzy on the highway. Front sprocket on and off and on and off 29721

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:09 pm

One tooth change in front equals 3 teeth change in rear correct?

That's what I've been told.

So if you ping pong back and forth between 12 and 13 in front why not split difference and add or subtract one or two in the rear?

Then, less wrenching, more riding.

I personally find it hard to believe the difference is worth the extra effort.

Plus, I'd personally not spend much time making bike super-slab perfect as I'd never want to spend much time there. And I have an X, not an R.

But whatever makes your clock spin.....

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm thinking cost is a factor as well, cause anything over the 45 you need a bigger chain. I wear out tires well before I wear out teeth. Front sprocket on and off and on and off 93746

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyMon May 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Captain Midnight wrote:
I'm going on a poker run Sunday, with 13-45 gearing. I'll drive 100 highway miles to the event. I will then change the 13 to a 12, ride 75 miles of woods, then put the 13 back on to ride the 100 miles of highway home. I don't have to change the sprocket, but the 12-45 gearing is a little buzzy at 70 MPH.

I rode the Poker Run yesterday. Most of the highway averaged 65MPH. I used the 12-43 combo. It was a tiny bit buzy. A little higher gearing would have been better. At the event, we did 40 miles of tight woods. 12-45 would have perfect. Today I ordered a 45 for the rear. I'm going to switch between the 12 and 13 front as needed. That will give me a little lower, for the woods, and a little higher (than my 12-43) on the road.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 1:38 am

I have struggled with the lock issue of of the front sprocket myself. After changing my first sprocket and chain on the little bugger I was thoroughly fed up with it. What an absurd design. puke

I'm now at the half life of my second rear sprocket and am thinking again about the issue. So, I'm interested in options to this lock.

As for gearing, I'm currently running a 13/47 with my little X wheels which is OK around town and on the track, almost low enough for the really technical trails, and a bit too low for the highway.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 3:26 am

I'm thinking, drill the nut for tie wire.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:23 am

I drilled the nut for tie wire. The sprockets have holes in them, so I ran the tie wire through the sprocket, and then through the nut. Seems to work fine. Now I don't have to torque the nut down so tight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket on and off and on and off   Front sprocket on and off and on and off Empty

Back to top Go down

Front sprocket on and off and on and off
Page 1 of 1