Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

24hrs of Glen Helen

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Machtig

24hrs of Glen Helen Empty
PostSubject: 24hrs of Glen Helen   24hrs of Glen Helen EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 11:37 am

This is my call for riders to be part of a team I am putting together to do the 24hrs of Glen Helen on 16-17 October 2010. Right now I've got myself and my brother committed. We can have a six man team, so we need an additional 4 riders. Let me throw this out there now, we are doing this for fun only. If we place or win (not likely) great, if not, who cares. I am a C class rider, FYI. All we care about is finishing the damn thing. I will provide my WR250R, my Airstream to recuperate in while you aren't riding, the lights for the bike, etc. What I need from whoever wants to join the team: a good attitude, an EZ-up type tent for our pits assuming we can't park the Airstream there( I don't think we can, but who knows?), a couple fuel cans, spare parts (bike would be good too, for the impound bike) for the WRR if you have any, 2 big (5kW min) generators to power the Airstreams A/C and the other for the lights/fans, etc at the pits.

The bike has all the goodies, including Go Race suspension, Scott steering damper, Revloc autoclutch, gearing, Safari Tank, HDB bark busters, $1400 worth of the best lights money can buy, etc and will have the Thumper racing big bore kit installed and tested by race day.

I just got back from the Perry Mountain 24hr Challenge and I can tell you without a doubt it is the funnest thing I've ever done. It was bruttally hot and humid and I damn near passed out, but I was having a blast. We didn't win, not even close, but we did finish, and thats all that matters. Riding at night with lights is awesome. Never done it before, can't wait to do it again.

Yes, I know the WRR isn't the best bike for this type thing, but it is a good bike, and all I have out here, so its gonna get used and abused.

If you want to join and don't have any of the stuff we need, no worries, we'll figure something out. PM me if interested.

Photo's of the perry mountain experiment to wet your whistle:

24hrs of Glen Helen DSC04247

The team near the end, I was about to embark on my final lap, my friend Brad would take the checkered
24hrs of Glen Helen DSC04309

My brother, just returning from his two laps. Yes, it was muddy thanks to a monsoon that rolled through about mid race.
24hrs of Glen Helen DSC04293

The start, LeMans style
24hrs of Glen Helen DSC04256

Greaser leaving on his final early morning laps.
24hrs of Glen Helen DSC04292
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: 24hrs of Glen Helen   24hrs of Glen Helen EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 6:09 pm

cool,good luck !
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: 24hrs of Glen Helen   24hrs of Glen Helen EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi Machtig:

I saw your request over at ADV and boy does that look like a helluva good time! I wish you and your team (whoever it may consist of ;)) all the best.

And of course post a ride report later this fall when the 24-hours are completed. I was hoping to hear that HighFive or Krabill would have jumped on this as they both seem to fit this style of racing.

Good Luck

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: 24hrs of Glen Helen   24hrs of Glen Helen EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 8:13 pm

xcel wrote:
Hi Machtig:

I saw your request over at ADV and boy does that look like a helluva good time! I wish you and your team (whoever it may consist of ;)) all the best.

And of course post a ride report later this fall when the 24-hours are completed. I was hoping to hear that HighFive or Krabill would have jumped on this as they both seem to fit this style of racing.

Good Luck

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. We will be sure to have a good time, thought the MPGs probably wont break 30 poser2
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: 24hrs of Glen Helen   24hrs of Glen Helen EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi Machtig:

Don’t worry; you’ll make up for it on the trip home :)

And racing to 30 mpg beats the hell out of the 10 Viper ACR I was in at Road America last week. About 3 mpg although 150 + mph on the back straight was pretty exciting ;)

Wayne
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: 24hrs of Glen Helen   24hrs of Glen Helen EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 12:56 am

Sounds like fun. Depending on the timing, maybe we can provide back-up WR components, but I can't really use the girl's bike.

I've got a toyhauler and 2K gen. 100 G water. Tools etc...

So each rider commits to a one-hour moto every 6 hours ?

The course is what ? MX and XC ? Lit ? Partially lit ? Ambient light ?

Fun is fine, but it is a race. I never raced strictly for fun really. But again, it sounds like fun.

Even at my age if I go out there it's to win.

I'm much older than you guys, but I've no doubt I can do it. Maybe I can be a hot back-up if you come up short.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: 24hrs of Glen Helen   24hrs of Glen Helen EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 1:01 am

Fuck that sounds like a blast!

Whats the entry fee? Any licensing or other credentials required?
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: 24hrs of Glen Helen   24hrs of Glen Helen EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:38 am

Skierd, if it is anything like the Perry Mountain 24, then you just pick your class send in your money and you're in. If you have more than two AA riders, you gotta be int he Expert class. That usually isnt a problem for us Very happy I think the Glen Helen pays points for the endurance series (6hr, 12hr, and 24hr), but we'll be too late for that.

X-racer, yes it is a race, yes we do our best, but we have no delusions of grandeur about winning. If someone is of the type that they get all bent out of shape if they aren't winning, I don't want them on our team. I strive for personal bests, and surviving. If we win, great, if not, who cares. This race is so long that as long as you keep putting in laps, and the bike holds up, you will probably be in the top 1/3 overall. To actually win your class, you need a fulltime pit crew and 6 pretty good (in shape) riders. We probably won't have the former.

There are some videos on youtube, one guy in particular has a 3 part video of last years 24. I think its called one lap around Glen Helen or such. Its basically a hare scramble course through the mx track, enduro cross section and out into the desert. There was even about a mile or so on an asphalt track. It was filmed during the day, but I'm quite certain nothing but maybe the track will be lit at night, which is why we have good race lights.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 24hrs of Glen Helen   24hrs of Glen Helen Empty

Back to top Go down

24hrs of Glen Helen
Page 1 of 1