Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Ultimate MX Hauler

Go down 
+6
njbill
clint
X-Racer
mwakey
SheWolf
ekahwaty
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ekahwaty

ekahwaty

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 4:53 pm

I had a chance to use my hitch mounted hauler for the first time today and really thought it worked well.

It is the UltimateMXHauler http://ultimatemxhauler.com/

Ultimate MX Hauler Dscn0410

I got it from Cycle Gear at a discount as I was buying a bunch of gear at the same time. I like the fact that is takes up little room in the garage when I am storing it and it doubles as a bike stand.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 5:53 pm

I like the idea of that. Kinda like a hitch/jack in one. thumb

mwakey

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 6:33 pm

That's sweet! Little pricey though.

You might want to use something besides those wing nuts to hold the bike down. They could vibrate loose. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Those lil gizmos work out pretty well...

Quote :
You might want to use something besides those wing nuts to hold the bike
down.

Old biker trick: Take an old tube and cut big rubber bands (diagonally through the tube at variable lengths cross-sectionally) and connect the rubber-band over the wingnut to another point (perhaps the footpeg)

Maybe a silly question, but isn't that set-up on a pick-up ?

Also.... I'm not real fond of an explosive canister mounted at a potential impact point. That's just me thinking.

The only other issue with them is limiting the "V" ditch clearance. As long as you are aware of the limitation it's no bother.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:21 pm

Those wingnuts are to hold the footpegs stable. There are tie down loops on it as well for cinch straps. thumb

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:24 pm

I use this to haul mine around, when I need to haul it, LOL
Ultimate MX Hauler Img0643yz
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Nice slats to lock the wheels into. Very happy

ekahwaty

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 4:43 am

Interestingly enough the wing nuts with lock nuts torque down pretty tight. The instructions suggest checking the mount every 100 miles, but I think that is mostly CYA for the seller. They don't seem to vibrate loose at all. The bike really feels secure to me, and I am pretty picky about that sort of thing.

I do have it set up on my pickup. Leaves the bed for a small bike or four wheeler for the kids. The tonneau cover on my pickup would have to be removed to haul my bike in the bed. This way I can secure what is in the bed and haul the bike. I am not real fond of leaving expensive gear in an open pickup bed or out in the elements during bad weather.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 4:49 pm

I have a Moto Jack Rack, which is very similar. It is great except for eating bottle jacks.

Ultimate MX Hauler BobKTMrig004
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 10:46 pm

I would imagine a person could replace what looks to be a too-small jack with a 2-ton one. Very happy thumb

njbill

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 6:04 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I would imagine a person could replace what looks to be a too-small jack with a 2-ton one. Very happy thumb

Here is the problem. All the bottle jacks that fit this application have cast bases. It is very difficult to weld a cast base to a steel frame. I think the heat from welding is transferred freely through the cast base to the pump and screws the seals. The last one I had welded only lasted a short time before leaking.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 6:16 pm

I have the MX Hauler too. However, I have not used it yet because my new truck is a Honda Ridgeline. I had to buy an adapter to lower the hitch which also moves the MX Hauler away from the truck a bit - creating a fair bit of leverage. Also, the Ridgeline is 4 wheel independent not solid rear axle, so I'm conncerned about handling in an emergency situation.

In short, it's not the MX Hauler I'm worried about, it's the truck with the Hauler on it.

What type of vehicle are you using the Hauler with and how does it handle? How fast and how far do you go with it?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 7:46 pm

gatorfan wrote:

In short, it's not the MX Hauler I'm worried about, it's the truck with the Hauler on it.

What type of vehicle are you using the Hauler with and how does it handle? How fast and how far do you go with it?

Thanks in advance.

My SUV has a truck frame so I do not worry about it back there. I think your SUV is a unibody, i.e. car-based SUV. That might worry me a little.
Back to top Go down
ekahwaty

ekahwaty

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:45 pm

I am using my MX Hauler with my 2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4WD. It has the GM dealer tow package. My truck does not go very fast, it only has a 5 cylinder engine. I don't limit my speed and feel very confident that the bike is secure. My vehicle is a truck with a solid axle. I would think it would work well with the Ridgeline despite the differences you describe.

The load really does not have a significant impact on the handling. In fact my truck seems to handle better with a bit of load in it. I haul my kids CRF 100 in the bed with the tailgate up and my WRR on the MX hauler. It works great.

I travel at 75 mph without a thought. Had not taken a very long trip only about 250 miles in a day, but I would not hesitate to do so. I check the torque of the wing nuts after a couple of miles tighten them up and then then really seem to be very secure.

Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks gents. I'm gonna give it a go.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 8:36 pm

I've had mine for 3 years now. It works very well. It's made to fit class III hitches. I have a pickup so it doesn't matter, I wouldn't mount it to a compact car or any other hauler.

The bottle jack is screwed in the base so it's easy to replace should I need to. The jack is only used to lift and lower the motorcycle. It doesn't support the motorcycle during travels since there is a strong pin that keeps the hauler from lowering by itself.

Used it on gravel roads with washoards and potholes without problems. I just feel a little swing up and down through holes and bumps.

Quick to install on the pickup and quick to install the motorcycle on it without any help. Just lower the plate, I drive the motorcycle as close to it as possible and back up turning the front as much as possible toward the stand. I then raise the stand so the wheels leave the ground and then puch on the motorcycle so it's fully supported. After that just tighten the 2 wing nuts and tie the handles so they wont hit the vehicule.

Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Dan Camp: What type of pickup do you have? I tried my friends MX Hauler with a Honda Ridgline and the Hauler at it's lowest level is TOO HIGH to wheel the WR250R onto.

I then bought a Blue Ox heavy duty 4" lowering adapter which not only weighs a ton but pushes the bike even further away from the truck.

If I could get the WR on the stock MX Hauler without the cannon ball like adapter I would give it a go.

I'm thinking about a mini-ramp and rolling the bike onto the hauler without the adapter.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 12:02 am

gatorfan wrote:
Dan Camp: What type of pickup do you have? I tried my friends MX Hauler with a Honda Ridgline and the Hauler at it's lowest level is TOO HIGH to wheel the WR250R onto.

I then bought a Blue Ox heavy duty 4" lowering adapter which not only weighs a ton but pushes the bike even further away from the truck.

If I could get the WR on the stock MX Hauler without the cannon ball like adapter I would give it a go.

I have a F-150. The hitch adaptor is 2 inches lower than the hitch itself. Not heavier than standard height and does the job perfecly.

This type and I just install it so the ball is lower.

Ultimate MX Hauler Ma_tbl10
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 12:08 am

I thought you had the MX Hauler? It doesn't attach to a ball. It has a stinger that goes into the trucks receiver.
Back to top Go down
ekahwaty

ekahwaty

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:20 am

I know the Ridgeline has a pretty high profile, sounds like in most cases a lowering adapter would be needed. If I were you I would load up and drive around the neighborhood and get a feel for it. My inclination would be that it would be more secure than you think even with the slightly increased tongue weight from the extension adapter. The only other consideration is the hitch pin in the adapter. The MX hauler has a screw in hitch pin which clamps down tight. If the adapter increases the looseness and does not clamp down, that would be something I would look at addressing

As noted, with a standard hitch height you can roll right on with one person, not having that capability takes a big plus away of the hauler. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:55 am

Q: would it work on a Jeep Wrangler with the spare tire on the back?
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 10:05 am

gatorfan wrote:
I thought you had the MX Hauler? It doesn't attach to a ball. It has a stinger that goes into the trucks receiver.

It's just a way to say it. It's not attached to the ball. I realise I didn't show the right adaptor. Just imagine the adaptor shown but replace the flat bar holding the ball by a tubing of the appropriate size.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 10:14 am

taoshum wrote:
Q: would it work on a Jeep Wrangler with the spare tire on the back?

If the hauler rises the motorcycle to close to the spare, you would need an extension.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks guys for the input. Not giving up on the hauler.
Back to top Go down
ekahwaty

ekahwaty

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 11:19 am

It would be interesting to see a pick when you set it up and try things out. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ultimate MX Hauler Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimate MX Hauler   Ultimate MX Hauler Empty

Back to top Go down

Ultimate MX Hauler
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next