Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety…

Go down 
+10
kjharn
Jäger
SheWolf
motokid
Tammy
Dancamp
WRoldman
Machtig
0007onWR
xcel
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
deerHater

AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety… - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety…   AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety… - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:24 pm

Right Wayne, that covers multi lane with 3+ lanes per direction with lots of exits and traffic.

On your recent trip were you on any remote multi lane roads with only 2 lanes per direction?
Did you encounter the scenario I described?

I'm guessing you would likely stay a possibly very very long time in the right lane going slower than you desire, waiting to do a very slow pass where you're sure nobody would come up on you fast. Am I right?

Greg.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety…   AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety… - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi Greg:

Exactly! I was on two lanes for most of the trip across the Continent last month and I do not remember actually passing anyone the entire way across.

Some examples...

AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety… - Page 3 Wellington_OH_Train_Crossing

I took this pic while at a RR Crossing in Wellington, OH. Instead of waiting behind the cars in line, I pulled off to the right and shut down while waiting for the train to clear. The reason is after experiencing Lane Splitting in CA, I find myself far more vulnerable sitting behind a parked car than between it and a curb or between two parked cars at a light and such. If I can sit parked to the right or in between two cars at a light, I will do that to protect myself from the inadvertent texter or cell phone user coming in our 6 that simply does not see us.

A sidebar as the neatest thing happened when I snapped that pic. A lady got out of a car and asked is that a 250 from California? The WR has CA plates. I told her I came from Chicago to Boston and I am headed back to CA. She said she had owned (5) 250’s and has over 90,000 miles on them plus has ridden in all 48-states with her husband who was still in the car. She recently purchased a Suzuki TU250. I could tell by our two-minute conversation that her and her husband are hug bike enthusiasts and riding 250’s around the country is possibly the best way to experience it with the least impact today.

AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety… - Page 3 Chicago_Traffic

I took this pic while on Route 41 coming into Chicago towards Lake Shore Drive. Because it was a continual stop and crawl, I stayed in my position and prayed the people behind would not forget I was there. At every start, I would let a gap build and use the buffer to do my thing. When the car ahead was slowing for a stop, I would tap the rear brake about 5 times before actually slowing to the upcoming stop to warn the driver behind that I was there. When the right lane was moving faster than the left, I would tap the horn to let the left lane guy know there was someone coming by on his right. That happened a lot through that section of Chicago as I was headed north to home. It was about the best I could do in those circumstances.

As I rode through downtown, Harvard, IL, traffic had slowed to between 0 and 15 mph while people were doing their normal thing in the town’s center shopping district. I simply held back along the right side of the car in front until I was through.

While coming into Ainsworth, NE at about 08:30 PM, the PSL was 35mph. The road opened up to 4-lanes and some locals were doing ~ 20 mph or so in the right lane. I moved into the left lane, flashed my brights a few times to make sure they knew I was behind them and then passed by in the open left lane.

I am just not one to pass in the car, on the bike or in a truck as I rarely if ever feel the need to hurry I guess...

I hope that helped?

Wayne
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety…   AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety… - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 2:27 pm

xcel wrote:
I hope that helped?
Not really. budah Very happy

I was hoping you might have ridden some 'gently populated' smaller interstates and encountered the situation I described. But it sounds like the roads you ride are either really overcrowded, or empty. wink

Anyway, this discussion would be better in person over several beer - if you're ever in Ottawa....

Greg.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety…   AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety… - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 2:36 pm

deerHater wrote:

I was hoping you might have ridden some 'gently populated' smaller interstates and encountered the situation I described. But it sounds like the roads you ride are either really overcrowded, or empty. wink

Anyway, this discussion would be better in person over several beer - if you're ever in Ottawa....

Greg.

When I ride leasurely I'm often in the situation you described. I never go to the left lane when I ride like that. I even slow down on the side of the road to let pass cars that I would otherwise slow down.

But I don't think it is a good idea to do that to save gas.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety…   AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety… - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Ok, had to split off some posts into where it headed. Back to our regularly scheduled format. Insanity!! AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety… - Page 3 851577

Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety…   AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety… - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 6:36 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Ok, had to split off some posts into where it headed. Back to our regularly scheduled format. Insanity!! AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety… - Page 3 851577
I re-moderated.

Posts that had to deal with statist, intrusive helmet laws I left. The discussion regarding the concepts of rights, freedoms, inalienable rights, an obligation to buy your rights from your government, etc I moved to Off Topic under a similarly named thread. I think from this thread, only posts for Dancamp and myself were moved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety…   AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety… - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

AMA’s disregard for its membership’s safety…
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3