Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

About the Airbox Flapper

Go down 
+10
taoshum
Corprin
njbill
2goose
motokid
Big-t
Mr.Metal
SheWolf
clint
angelWR
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
angelWR

angelWR

About the Airbox Flapper Empty
PostSubject: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Just to confirm that the flapper is stuck tight. It's OK?
Thanks

About the Airbox Flapper Dsc03436b
Back to top Go down
clint

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 5:08 pm

looks okay!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 10:33 am

That's how mine looked after I siliconed it. thumb

angelWR

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Thank you, now I am sure.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 2:11 pm

There is really no reason not to gut the airbox. If I can do it, anyone can do it About the Airbox Flapper 61865
Back to top Go down
Big-t

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Seems like a lot of work.I just put a BB in the vacuum line at the servo.door stays open all the time since there is no vacuum to operate it.....
Back to top Go down
angelWR

angelWR

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 5:02 pm

What is BB ?? About the Airbox Flapper 986936
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 5:13 pm

You did what? About the Airbox Flapper 640571

Dude... I know you're going to say "it's not going to come loose," but that just sounds like a bad idea all around.

Gutting the airbox was not a lot of work. Took all of like half hour maybe.

Big-t wrote:
Seems like a lot of work.I just put a BB in the vacuum line at the servo.door stays open all the time since there is no vacuum to operate it.....
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 6:08 pm

angelWR wrote:
What is BB ?? About the Airbox Flapper 986936

Like a small ball bearing. It's often shot from an air-rifle.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Big-t wrote:
Seems like a lot of work...

It's not really. Plus..you open up space under seat for other tid-bits of joy and happiness. About the Airbox Flapper 61865

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 8:17 pm

What motokid said. I have serious OCD, so cleaning up the under-the-seat area felt soooooo good. Where that damn solenoid used to be, I now have my FMF programmer. And there is plenty of space for the 3CS too. And it's so clean and pretty! About the Airbox Flapper 93746

motokid wrote:

It's not really. Plus..you open up space under seat for other tid-bits of joy and happiness. About the Airbox Flapper 61865
Back to top Go down
2goose

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 8:52 pm

I forgot---why do we want to remove this flapper ?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:13 pm

More airflow into the airbox. thumb

njbill

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:50 pm

I cut a big hole in the top of my air box. I do not think having the flapper permanently open provides enough air.
Back to top Go down
Corprin

Corprin

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Is there some way to tune for the added airflow without a tuner? I was reading somewhere (lost the link) about a way to hack into the ECU under diagnostic mode, and adjust the mixture... as one would with a pilot screw.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 11:13 pm

I don't believe you can really adjust much in that diagnostic mode. A tuner really is the way to go. Tuners are relatively cheap, engines are not.

Corprin wrote:
Is there some way to tune for the added airflow without a tuner? I was reading somewhere (lost the link) about a way to hack into the ECU under diagnostic mode, and adjust the mixture... as one would with a pilot screw.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: yes, airflow   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 2:35 am

SheWolf wrote:
More airflow into the airbox. thumb

seems like a good idea... other than weight redux is there a performance gain or mpg increase, a leaner mixture, a hotter engine, ... if it is all beneficial to get rid of it, why would Yam a Mama spend the time, effort and expense of installing it?.

Same Q for the exhaust servo?

I just want a super reliable moto that will get me there, in one piece. Gotta fix the range problem though...

thanks, Gary
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 2:48 am

These days, a lot of these systems are engineered and installed at the factory to meet strict regulations. Mostly noise and emissions in EU and in CA and some other states. Also, the bike is tuned conservatively to make it as reliable as possible.

Now, having said that, doing these mods can't really make the bike less reliable, if you don't go crazy or screw something up. The engine is starving for air and choking on a plugged-up exhaust, which is why doing these mods actually has a net effect. May members have done both air intake and exhaust mods, and I don't believe we've seen any reliability issues. About the Airbox Flapper 619190

taoshum wrote:

seems like a good idea... other than weight redux is there a performance gain or mpg increase, a leaner mixture, a hotter engine, ... if it is all beneficial to get rid of it, why would Yam a Mama spend the time, effort and expense of installing it?.

Same Q for the exhaust servo?

I just want a super reliable moto that will get me there, in one piece. Gotta fix the range problem though...

thanks, Gary
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 6:16 am

Does the flapper keeps water out in case of a fall during river crossing ?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 6:18 am

Dancamp wrote:
Does the flapper keeps water out in case of a fall during river crossing ?

No. The flapper is only closed at certain rev levels. You have a lean sensor that shuts bike off when horizontal.

When bike is not running flapper is open.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Big-t

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 8:37 am

Quote :

Dude... I know you're going to say "it's not
going to come loose," but that just sounds like a bad idea all around.

30 to 40 years of defeating some of the most useless crap installed on cars,I find the simple mods work the best and they are reversible.

Just saying,it seems like a simple solution as opposed to gluing the door shut,that is assuming you have enough sense to use a large enough BB.... About the Airbox Flapper 851577

I'm old school,really appreciate reading all the mods,but I also like to test each mod as I go to see what works for me as opposed to just ripping it all out and then trying to sort it out.
Back to top Go down
Corprin

Corprin

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:15 pm

Mr.Metal wrote:
I don't believe you can really adjust much in that diagnostic mode. A tuner really is the way to go. Tuners are relatively cheap, engines are not.

Who would have thunk it, it was in this forum all along!

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/wrr-general-discussion-f3/wr-taco-in-diagnostic-mode-t1141.htm

discuss.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:33 pm

It's there for a reason. I dialed mine in and it helped with smoothing things out.

Corprin

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 4:38 pm

SheWolf wrote:
It's there for a reason. I dialed mine in and it helped with smoothing things out.

When I bought my bike it came with the baffle removed from the pipe. I figured the slight cough each time I goosed the throttle was caused by this, so I reinstalled the baffle. Viola, the problem was rectified. After reading that thread, I am still left with a couple questions. First and foremost, if I remove that baffle again, would the CO adjustment be proper to get the idle and throttle response back?
Back to top Go down
angelWR

angelWR

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 5:37 pm

Big-t wrote:
Quote :

Dude... I know you're going to say "it's not
going to come loose," but that just sounds like a bad idea all around.

30 to 40 years of defeating some of the most useless crap installed on cars,I find the simple mods work the best and they are reversible.

Just saying,it seems like a simple solution as opposed to gluing the door shut,that is assuming you have enough sense to use a large enough BB.... About the Airbox Flapper 851577

I'm old school,really appreciate reading all the mods,but I also like to test each mod as I go to see what works for me as opposed to just ripping it all out and then trying to sort it out.

I'm old school too, therefore look carefully to make mods. This very well explained:

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/air-intake/68-flapperrem

but my problems with the language made me doubt, as in this forum there are good people, did not think someone would have any problem. I think that is a simple mod.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About the Airbox Flapper   About the Airbox Flapper Empty

Back to top Go down

About the Airbox Flapper
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next