Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Does size really matter?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Does size really matter? Empty
PostSubject: Does size really matter?   Does size really matter? EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Last weekend, I took my still-pretty-new WRR on a little adventure with two new Dual Sport buddies. We met at a gas station on the edge of North Bend, a few miles from our destination. I never met those guys before, so I didn?t know what to expect. When I arrived, I saw a 2004 KTM 950 and a 200? BMW GS1200 parked, packed, and ready to go. So, as you can see, I was the smallest displacement by far. It?s more of an adventure on a 250, right?

Does size really matter? 906601245_L5KDv-M

Our mission for the day: mountain forest roads off of exit 38 on I-90. I?ve only been to that area once and on my V-Strom, so I never saw much of where we ended up going that day. I was excited but I was nervous. Being really new to dirt and still not having hand guards, I was pretty sure my bike was going to endure some damage. Did it? Read on!

The KTM 950 is a BEAST, that much was clear as soon as he fired up the carbureted, back-firing monster. The GS1200 holds its own no matter where it goes, and it seriously surprised me on this adventure. Of course, as always, it?s the skill of the rider that really matters, and I was definitely the least skilled of the group.

We took exit 38 and soon jumped onto a very mild forest road. Before I knew it, we were hanging a right, onto another, much more rocky and clearly ascending forest road. I thought to myself, ?Here we go!? I knew the KTM 950 would eat anything that was thrown at it, I soon realized that the rider was also very skilled. I didn?t think the GS1200 was meant for the kinds of roads we encountered, but its rider was also very skilled and took that bike everywhere the KTM and my WRR dared to go. Impressive.

We headed up the dirt road a ways, then hung a right, soon descending a boulder, rocky pathway. The KTM glided over the rocks like a gazelle, I stumbled over them like an injured elephant. I lost sight of the GS behind me, but expected him to show up soon after. Sure enough, a minute or two later, the GS rider rejoined the group, but with the bike not running. Say goodbye to the kickstand kill switch. Ripped to shreds by the rocks beneath, rendering the GS useless. Luckily, the three of us were all equipped with tools, so a few minutes and a few twisted wires later, the GS was back in the game.

Does size really matter? 906587250_rqJw7-M

Does size really matter? 906587907_bPXQ4-M

Does size really matter? 906588498_w4QAU-M

We turned around and ascended back up the rocky road to get back onto the forest road heading up. The KTM was gone in a flash, I tried to follow, but soon found myself sans bike. Yep, my first drop, and not a pretty one at that. I bounced off of a rock, hit the dirt side of the path, and went over to the side. No damage to the bike, but picking it up in the rocky terrain was a bit of a pain. If only I knew how many times that would happen just a little later on?

I scrambled up and got on the throttle, riding up the rocks. However, looking back, I saw the GS dump once, twice, then three times. I stopped and went down to give a hand. The GS is a HEAVY bike, and the rider decided to ride down and try again. By that time, the KTM rider came back and I went back to my bike. Removing about 3 layers of warm clothing, I was ready to go, and was happy to see the GS and the KTM emerge from the rocky terrain below. The group was back on track!

We headed up the road, which soon turned rocky, buddy, and then more rocky. We kept climbing up and up, and soon passed some amazing views.

Does size really matter? 906593042_C5G4p-M

Does size really matter? 906595551_RB2JA-M

Does size really matter? 906597689_bTy79-M

Does size really matter? 906598413_MyQnn-M

We kept heading up and soon came to a small river crossing. The river was maybe 10 feet across, pretty shallow, and not moving very fast. I was nervous going across it, but I watched the KTM and the GS do it without a problem, so I knew I had to keep up. Crossing the river went fine? what came after, definitely did not. The road made a sharp left, and then a quick, steep uphill over an embankment. I watched the KTM glide up, the GS power through, so I figured ?no problem!? Wrong. I made the attempt 5 times, and 5 times I dropped the WRR. I couldn?t get enough speed, enough grip, and lastly enough confidence to make it up over that small ridge. Embarrassing. The guys I was with were very encouraging and helpful, but in the end they helped me power walk the WRR up the hill. I have to say, it?s been a long time since I felt so defeated, and I plan on going back and making that hill my b*tich.

Once we got over that problem and cooled off, we treaded on. We were entering a lot of fog, which made the ride even more surreal looking.

Does size really matter? 906589760_duopY-M

Does size really matter? 906590006_PxwTu-M

Does size really matter? 906589583_dfKaa-M

Does size really matter? 906590594_ePE3U-M

Does size really matter? 906590943_yqJZX-M

Does size really matter? 906594035_2MiEp-M

Does size really matter? 906594759_mjnTR-M

Does size really matter? 906593787_rRhpb-M

Does size really matter? 906595020_Q4QNX-M

We continued on, stopping in various places to decide where to go and to take some pictures. We took one path that ended up getting very tight and rocky, eventually ending in a small waterfall and a pretty gnarly area. Due to being fairly beat and beat up, we turned around at this point and headed up another road.

Does size really matter? 906591583_zgJtr-M

Does size really matter? 906592209_speBP-M

Does size really matter? 906596252_W8zCD-M

That road proved to also be very tight, very overgrown, and soon limiting our visibility due to the heavy and dense fog. We ventured on a ways, but then turned around and headed back down the way we came. Along the way, the GS had a few more drops, I managed to stay up (woohoo!), and the KTM showed us all what a heavy bike with a skilled rider can do.

Once we got off the mountain, we went to a close by power line play area.

Does size really matter? 906599376_4Ck9W-M

This is where I realized just how much skill the other riders have, and how little I have in comparison. I put-putted around the sandy hills, watching out for rocks and ruts, crawling over the more daring terrain. I watched the KTM blast by me as if I were standing still, which, honestly, I might as well have been. We met up at the top again, at which point I offered my WRR for some test rides. I figured they?d either love it or hate it. Well, two things happened.

1. Both riders thought the WRR was a hoot and a super fun little bike
2. Both riders rode my WRR like I never thought possible. That imagined roosting, rutting, and even a jump or two.

Yep, I suck. Or rather, I have a looong ways to go before I reach that level of comfort. I am the limiting factor, the WRR is more than capable of doing everything they threw at it.

Once the play time was done, we decided to head back to the pavement. The KTM and GS were gone in a split second, I didn?t see them until much further down the forest road. Unfortunately, what I saw was this.

Does size really matter? 906599712_cywuk-M

Does size really matter? 906600402_FDVYi-M

In a sharp gravel turn, the GS hit an oncoming Jeep, leaving some scratches, and ending up in the gravel ditch. The rider was fine, the bike was mostly fine, and the car only suffered minor scratches. I don?t have the full story, but it looks like the cager decided to switch sides of the road as the GS was approaching. And, as we all know, there isn?t much stopping two wheels on gravel? in a turn. Luckily, all ended up well.

We headed down further, said our goodbyes and headed home. A quarter mile later, I caught up to the KTM and GS on the side of the road. I soon learned the GS caught a serious flat.

Does size really matter? 906602105_MfSnp-M

The rider forgot to bring his plug kit, so I headed over to a nearby truck stop to pick one up for him. The tire got plugged, pumped up, and we were on our way home.

Does size really matter? 906601838_YpEJa-M

Does size really matter? 906586923_xEkKn-M

Does size really matter? 906586639_QBm6j-M

All in all, this was a great adventure. A morning and afternoon spent with riding buddies in some beautiful Washington scenery, making new friends, learning new skills, and learning more about myself and what I need to learn. The WRR performed great, though I now have a bent brake lever. New Zeta levers and HDB handguards are on the way. Next month I plan on a new, non-squeaky chain, and slightly taller gearing. Starting the WRR after a stall is a bit of a pain, at least on my bike, and I think the taller gearing should help with low speed action. I came home dirty, sweaty, bruised, but happier than ever. Hope for more adventures like that one :)
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Does size really matter?   Does size really matter? EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 2:23 pm

SWEET! Yes I love reading others views on the places I ride. Let me know next time you go or want to...I'm down and would like to ride with you.

*where you turned around...wasn't even half of the riding. i'm impressed with some of the stuff i know you had to go over.

<----my avatar, another place that is even more fun.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Does size really matter?   Does size really matter? EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Just read your other post...didn't want to thread jack that thread anymore so responding here.

Every time I went to that little sandy area there was 4x4's and/or campers there. Just did a quick ride around then left. It's really too small an area for me.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Does size really matter?   Does size really matter? EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Keep up the ride! Show those big boys how it's done, you don't need no supertanker to ride with them. thumb

PostSubject: Re: Does size really matter?   Does size really matter? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does size really matter?
Page 1 of 1