Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Removing scratches from the plastic?

Go down 
+2
inspector
M1A Rifleman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
M1A Rifleman

Removing scratches from the plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Removing scratches from the plastic?   Removing scratches from the plastic? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Not sure I'm all that keen on the idea of using highly polished plastic on bikes where contact with clothing and boots is inevitable as it seems to scratch and dull. The old bikes had painted metal fenders which seemed to be easier to keep care of. What do you use to clean, polish and remove scratches from the plastic fenders and tank shroud - or am I being overly prissy about the thing. Removing scratches from the plastic? 986936
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Removing scratches from the plastic?   Removing scratches from the plastic? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 2:30 pm

I'm interested also!!! I bungeed a jerry can onto the back and it is scratch beyond all get out.

*I guess since mine is so bad I could start with sandpaper...just been to busy/lazy.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Removing scratches from the plastic?   Removing scratches from the plastic? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 3:12 pm

Deep scratches you'll have to wet/dry 1500 sandpaper and warm soapy water. Another way is to use a heat gun, but be very careful cause you could melt the plastic in the process. Fine scratches comes out with Honda Plastic Polish and an orbital polisher. I also add a coat of teflon after.

Basically my method consists of:
Deep scratches....heat the plastic with a heat gun to just enuf to melt the scratch so it fills in. Then take the 1500 wet/dry sandpaper w/warm soapy water and sand until smooth. Takes a few times and some patience but it works. Then spray on some Honda polish, take the orbital to it. DO that a couple of times. Then take teflon wax and run the orbital over it.

Fine scratches...spray with Honda polish, run the orbital over it; repeat. Put on some teflon wax, run the orbital on it, done. thumb

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Removing scratches from the plastic?   Removing scratches from the plastic? EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:22 pm

It is a dirt bike... So long as it's mechanically sound who cares about scratches? Removing scratches from the plastic? Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Removing scratches from the plastic?   Removing scratches from the plastic? EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:25 pm

Not everyone wants a piece of emery cloth between their nether regions. Very happy

PostSubject: Re: Removing scratches from the plastic?   Removing scratches from the plastic? EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 10:43 am

Tibarus wrote:
It is a dirt bike... So long as it's mechanically sound who cares about scratches? Removing scratches from the plastic? Icon_rolleyes

That's what my wife says. Thou, I'm still bent about tipping over in traffic the other day and adding to the array of cosmetic issues, which are now repaired except for my pride. Removing scratches from the plastic? 490865
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Removing scratches from the plastic?   Removing scratches from the plastic? EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 6:03 am

Deep scratches: emery cloth sounds good
Regular polishing: use 'Mr Sheen' synthetic furniture polish - really shiny & cheap, & seems to clean off dead bugs well!!! Available in any UK supermarket - is it available on other side of pond?!?!?!
Back to top Go down
RT3856

RT3856

PostSubject: Re: Removing scratches from the plastic?   Removing scratches from the plastic? EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 12:40 am

I like my bike to look good,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing scratches from the plastic?   Removing scratches from the plastic? Empty

Back to top Go down

Removing scratches from the plastic?
Page 1 of 1