Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
xcel

xcel

Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know Empty
PostSubject: Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know   Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 7:03 pm

Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know AmericanFlag A name common to many bicycle riders around the Globe… New to us however as we set out on a Motorcycling Adventure.

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - July 9, 2010

Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know Canari_Gel_Liner_News2

Canari Bicycling Shorts - Gel Liner (MSRP: $30) -- The Shorts that make the unbearable journey a simple day’s ride and the impossible one, the trek you will be talking about for the rest of your life…

The Motorcycle

We are about to embark on a somewhat unique adventure. The first, being the “Iron Butt”. The Saddle Sore. The 1,000 mile ride in < 24-hours… On a bike not known for such distances… Until now.

The 2010 Yamaha WR250X will be the Iron Horse that will take us 1,000 + miles from North of Chicago to Boston plus the 100 mpg Cross Country Challenge Attempt from Boston to Oregon as we make our way West. Way West. Back to Yamaha near LA. And yet something is missing?

Meet Canari

While we have any number of long distance bicyclists amongst the CleanMPG membership, the Canari lineup appears to offer that one item needed to make the WR250X journey possible. With all the planning, all the mods and all the determination put forth for a ride like this, only one thing could put a halt to a multiple 1,000 mile journey. That being a riders pain threshold. Finding a way to sit on an uncomfortable saddle for tens of hours on end. Then perform the same duty the following day. And the next. And the next... And doing so while protecting the more delicate parts of the anatomy.

About 30 years ago a woman named Kathy started sewing bicycle shorts and started her own little business, which grew over time. Canari = Kathy in Armenian.

In 2001 the Robinson family purchased Canari from Kathy and moved the business from San Diego to Vista (just North of San Diego). Today, there are 6 Robinson children, 5 who work actively at the business and 3 who love to ride!

Another unique feature about Canari is they manufacture some of their garments in-house including those that need to be custom built right in Vista, CA. When was the last time you heard of a California clothing company manufacturing within the state let alone within the country?

The Solution?

The Gel Liner: A pair of Canari riding shorts capable of performing a special double duty. Bicycle riding comfort is a given. The special duty is to provide long distance riding comfort for Motorcycle riders no matter their size, shape or form while on whatever bike they may currently ride. In our case, the Canari Liners should transform the Aerostich Darien Pants I use into long distance comfort wear while the WR250X moves us through State after State. In doing so, the Gel Liner will be tasked as “The Negotiator” between me and that god awfully hard saddle. And hopefully I will end up no worse for the experience.

The Gel Liner incorporates a comfortable Gel pad in the bottom portion while featuring 4-panel comfort construction, lightweight and durable mesh fabric and a 1½" Canari signature waistband. It is the key that will hopefully make the difference.

Canari’s Gel Pad. Directly from the company’s web site, the gel pad is pure comfort. Using a unique gell filled system, shock is spread throughout the saddle region rather than concentrating in one specific area. A fluid barricade is formed that reduces skin irritation and absorbs shock, providing a superior ride.

Other Possible Suitable Canari Shorts

While the liner is possibly the perfect solution for our needs, others may find full biking shorts suits theirs for the times on bicycle or when removing your Motorcycle gear and taking a break. Canari’s Gel pad is incorporated into a number of other Canari riding shorts including styles for the purist bicycle racer to styling that can best be described as loose and baggy walking shorts for the Mountain bike crowd. And both are capable of performing said double duty when the need arises.

To see their entire lineup of comfort oriented bicycling gear, visit Canari at your earliest convenience.

Early Conclusions?

While only an intro, I will let you how they work out. The difference between “The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat” is what sits between you and the saddle you’re stuck with while on the long and lonely road ahead.
Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know 2010_Yamaha_WR250X_LR_News
Back to top Go down
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know   Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 12:37 am

Dont forget plenty of this:
http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

No, really, it works like a charm. Funny name, funny little logo but this powder really does help. No joke.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know   Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 12:45 am

Hi Jersey Devil:

I saw a lot of that stocked at Deal's Gap and thought why would all these Harley and Goldwing riders need that to ride to and from the dragon???

Thanks for the support in the other threads too!

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know   Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 8:38 pm

xcel wrote:
While only an intro, I will let you how they work out. The difference between “The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat” is what sits between you and the saddle you’re stuck with while on the long and lonely road ahead.
Didn't you mean:
"The thrill of victory and the agony of de seat"?

I've tried various of my pairs of mountain bike shorts on my WR250R. Helps. But not enough to make much difference. The seat is on the top of my list.

I've sat on steel seats in APCs jarring up and down all day patrolling crappy roads in Yugo that were more comfortable to sit on.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know   Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi Jager:

You are taking the words right out of my mouth!

As it is, I got a little fluffy with the Canari Gel Liner write-up but I really liked the company’s story. Two pair of Canari's Gel Liners arrived in the mail today so that it a plus. I tried them on and they feel "dreamy" in that special sort of way Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know 810411

I have a 900-mile drive in an 11 CR-Z over the next two days and will be wearing the Canari Gel Liners to see how they feel in a car. This coming weekend however will be the WR's turn and I cannot wait to see how they work when put to the real test! I have some mods planned for my Aerostich Darien's T3 Hip pads (I am going to turn them into butt pads with extra hook and loop) to hopefully make yet another contribution to the WR's long distance capability. Thanks to Krabill, many more WR riders will hopefully be willing or at least considering taking there own WR's out on a longer slab ride in the future?

As you wrote above however, nothing beats a new and properly designed saddle. I would have done anything to be riding on Ashville Thumper's Renazco with the Canari's as you can almost see the comfort vs. the OEM based seat that after 250-miles is best described as a midevil torture device Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know 93746

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know   Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know Empty

Back to top Go down

Canari - A Preview and a Company You Should Know
Page 1 of 1