Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(

Go down 
+2
SheWolf
Mikechicago
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( Empty
PostSubject: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 3:45 pm

So I got up and started her up, all good. do a quick throtle twist and it sticks open! Further inspection shows that some point during the night/ morning. the bike was tipped over on to it's right side.

The only real damage I could find is the mirror was way outta wack and loose, and throtle tube seems chipped, causing it to not snap back to closed position.

Does anybody know of anything else I should check out????

My plan of action is to order the alum. Zeta throtle tube from wheeling, and the tail light kit to make me feel better even though I shouldn't spend the money.

p.s. I also wanted to get a 12 tooth sproket, whats a good brand and where to get it?

Last edited by Mikechicago on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Oh and does anyone know HOW to change the tube??? I have no idea how to.

I unscrewed the connector and took it off, got all the spare shrapnel out and put it back on a 1/2 inch out = temporary fix. Everything else seems ok.

My main question is how do I get the rubber grip off the tube???? i tryed to roll it off like, well... a reverse condom action. (sorry, only analogy that I can think of) but it only went a lil bit. Anyone????
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Yeah, take a screwdriver and slide it slowly in between the grip and the tube, spray some lube in there and slowly work the screwdriver around the tube, spraying a bit of lube in there. Once you get all the way around it should slide right off. Others have used an air chuck hooked up to a compressor and blow air under the grip to loosen it.
As for the sprocket, there are a few good ones out there. I use a 12T JT, part #JTF1590.12 Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( 61865

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Does this mean I need to buy a glue for when i re attach it???
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:11 pm

You know, I've never used glue, or grip wire, EVER. I use windex to get it slippery enuf to slide on, the stuff evaporates and it's stuck there but good.

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:27 pm

On the grips we've replaced recently I've grabbed the spray bottle we use for tire lube - so dishsoap & water - to use both for helping get the old grip off & the new grip on. It seems to have worked on the four sets we've changed in the last few weeks. The new grips are staying where I put them Very happy.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:42 pm

You managed to get soap to work? Wow, I've tried that a couple of times and it slid around on my DT. That's when I went with Windex after i was told it doesn't leave a residue. Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( 29721

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 7:47 pm

dunno talent! wink

I honestly have no idea, I just grabbed the handy bottle & it worked the first time so I repeated three more times! (One more set to do in the short term on Zed's WRX, he's been grumbling every time he rides one of the bikes with the new gel grips & then goes back to his WR...) A healthy shot of Ivory dish soap in a spray bottle of water.
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 10:33 pm

On further inspection I noticed that my handlebars are bent! budah

Whats a good replacement????
I dont really want to go to a different size because I'm running low on funds and cant go replacing alot more stuff. But I do want to get sturdyer bars.

Heres what I'm lookin at, let me know experts! bow

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/PROTAPER-SE-HANDLEBARS/?catalogId=108459 -Bend = BLACK YAMAHA MINI- ???? I would guess????

-or-

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/RENTHAL-HANDLEBARS-STANDARD-78/?catalogId=108460 -Bend = No idea????? scratch

-There is also all these-

http://www.motostrano.com/barsclamps.html

But I wouldn't know if I should go with the "Enduro", "Flat Bar", or "Off Road" ????
It may all be personal preference, but I havent riden long much less many bikes.

I do like the idea of shorter bars for tight spots but will they be harder to control???

PLEASE HELP, I know very little but want am willing to learn alot. bow
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Mikechicago wrote:
On further inspection I noticed that my handlebars are bent! budah

Whats a good replacement????
I dont really want to go to a different size because I'm running low on funds and cant go replacing alot more stuff. But I do want to get sturdyer bars.

I'm a big fan of Renthal aluminum bars. They *don't bend*!!! Stock steel handlebars are like wet noodles...

The 7/8" diameter bars will bolt right up to your WR, but I can't comment on what bend you might want. First thing I did to my new WRX was install a 966 bar as I hate the stock bend. The 966 is straighter & lower rise (we have 966's on both KLRs, both WRX's, & ZED's Z1000...). I may look into risers in future, but didn't want to mess around with different models since I already know I like the straighter 966.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 1:16 am

SheWhooWhooWhoo wrote:
I use windex to get it slippery enuf to slide on, the stuff evaporates
and it's stuck there but good.

Whatever you do, be careful when and where you try this maneuver. "...stuck, but good..." COULD be a problem.

Mike: Straighten the bars using a bar bender, or a pipe over the end of the bars (when you have the controls off of course).

[quote="SheWhooWhooWhoo(2)"]You managed to get soap to work? Wow, I've tried that a couple of times
and it slid around on my DT. That's when I went with Windex after i
was told it doesn't leave a residue.[/quote]

They're mine and I'll get em off with whatever I want ! * Surprised* Only a couple times ?

Scandalous... Ab-so-lute-ly SCANDALOUS !
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks Rob, I needed a laugh first thing in the morning. Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( 851577

I'm also a fan on Renthals. I've got the McGrath MX bend and I love it. As for straightening them out, myself I wouldn't feel good about riding on them after that, for the simple reason is once you bend them, then bend them back, you've created a weak spot in which it will be much much easier to break now. JMO. Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( 29721

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 10:38 am

SheWolf wrote:
...As for straightening them out, myself I wouldn't feel good about riding on them after that, for the simple reason is once you bend them, then bend them back, you've created a weak spot in which it will be much much easier to break now. JMO. Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( 29721

Metal fatigue is NOT a good thing for your handlebars to experience...
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 2:12 pm

So does MINI mean smaller bar lenght??? I think i'd want a smaller clearence on my sides. I wanted a small compact quick menuverable bike....thats why I got the WR250! I'm thinkin of goin with the protaper SE.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 2:30 pm

Yup, most mini bars are 28.5" wide instead of the standard 31" width. I've got mini's (Protaper SE Yamaha Mini) on mine, they're nice though I think i want to try something with a different pull back next time *your arms and comfort will vary*. Still have plenty of leverage for the rough stuff, but fits between trees, cars, poles, and other obstacles better. I feel less wind resistance on the highway too, since my arms are closer in together. You have to use handguards designed for mini bars, I'm using the Moose mini deflectors and they're strong, saved my hands and levers several times already and no bends.

Mine are bent now however, whenever I get around to it I've got to replace them.
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 3:15 pm

skierd wrote:
Mine are bent now however, whenever I get around to it I've got to replace them.

All the reviews say that they dont bend as easy as stock, whats your take???
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 2:16 pm

It happened somewhere on the Durty Dabbers dual sport ride. Left side is slightly tweaked inwards, but thats the side I fall on most often. Two earlier big hits on that ride (hit a tree, earlier fell on some rocks hard enough to bend the driven shifter backwards 180 degrees), plus having the front end wash out on a rocky down hill the week before, plus several other minor get offs, plus dropping it in my parking spot... all on the left... you get the picture. poser2 The crash that did it was a slow 5-10mph dump in some mud that dropped me and the bike up to the hand grip.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Try white rain hair spray,use a long tip like carb cleaner a spray in between tube and grip. If you dont use grip glue you can take them on and off as you need to,makes the grip soft and sticky then dries.
Works well if your not hard on your grips,a wrap fo safety wire in board if you twist hard.
If you bend bars,you dont break trees !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(   Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Parked on 33rd, bike got knocked over :(
Page 1 of 1