Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

counter shaft sprocket

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wilburj

wilburj

counter shaft sprocket Empty
PostSubject: counter shaft sprocket   counter shaft sprocket EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:17 pm

I just broke over 3 thousand miles on the R2 and just really like the bike in the woods, although in my opinion it really sucks on the road, but, last week after 30 ish some miles on the trail and 40 something horrible miles on the road, I heard an odd sound coming from around my left foot area. Well as I was making a downshift to turn left there was no gear to downshift to. I thought the chain must have come off and pulled over to check it out. As it turned out it was the sprocket nut. It had come loose and almost fallen off. I tightened the nut enough to limp home where I torqued it back on and staked it in the detentes on the shaft. Friday I went back to the woods and kept a real good eye on things and so far so good. So, perhaps check that nut on your bike and make sure it is staked correctly. The nut does not look like it was staked down when I bought the bike. I am wondering about blue lock-tite, tomorrow I will call the tech at my Honda shop about the lock-tite question. wilburj
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: counter shaft sprocket   counter shaft sprocket EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 5:24 am

Post back on the Loctite. Thanks

Sarah
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: counter shaft sprocket   counter shaft sprocket EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 10:06 am

Loctite would not be terribly helpful if the nut is staked. If you torqued it properly & staked it down (& are pretty sure it wasn't staked before) then I'm sure that will be sufficient. When dealing with the sprocket nuts on the WR's, I make sure to stake them without mangling the nut too badly - you want to be able to properly un-stake when it comes time to change your sprocket next, so that you don't mangle the threads on the shaft undoing the nut.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: counter shaft sprocket   counter shaft sprocket EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 10:42 am

I use a small chainsaw tuning screwdriver to unstake the nut. It makes it real easy to pop the tabs up enuf to undo the nut without damaging the threads on the shaft. counter shaft sprocket 61865

wilburj

PostSubject: Re: counter shaft sprocket   counter shaft sprocket EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 1:41 pm

I just spoke with my tech this morning, he said blue loc-tite would be the stuff. So, I believe I will use a drop or two on that nut. I think what would have happened if the nut had come off when I was riding the trail. It would have been a very long push, might I say even impossible depending where on the trail it happened. wilburj
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: counter shaft sprocket   counter shaft sprocket EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 5:58 am

Thank you, I'd used a dab of loctite on mine, just wanted to double check.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: counter shaft sprocket   counter shaft sprocket Empty

Back to top Go down

counter shaft sprocket
Page 1 of 1