Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please

Go down 
+4
KLRchickie
Mr.Metal
SheWolf
DesertRider
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DesertRider

Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please Empty
PostSubject: Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please   Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi! I'm new to motorcycling (just took training/testing through MSF) and want to get my first full-time bike for short commuting, short touring around NM and trail riding on the weekends. Is the 2010 WR250R a good bike to start on? It will be in town quite a bit - will the height be too much of a negative factor for quick stopping and stuff in town? The engine size seems right and the potential usage/versatility seems perfect. Compared to the KLX250S and CRF230L, this thing is by far and away a better bike. But is it right for me? Comments, opinions, thoughts????!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please   Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 1:36 pm

DesertRider wrote:
Is the 2010 WR250R a good bike to start on?
YES! Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please 61865

It will be in town quite a bit - will the height be too much of a negative factor for quick stopping and stuff in town?
If you are vertically challenged like, me, you can lower it easily. I never had a problem with it in those instances, even when I had just done minimal lowering back when I first owned it. How tall are you?

But is it right for me?
You won't know until you try one. Be forewarned tho...once you ride one, you'll be hooked! These bikes are addicting, and mods are endless if you want to tinker and try new things. The bike is very capable of doing pretty much everything you throw at it. Is it right for you? I'd suggest finding one that you can maybe take a test spin on and then decide once you've ridden it. Some guys have bought it blind without riding it, and never looked back.

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please   Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 2:05 pm

IF you can handle the height of the bike (or get it lowered), then yes, I believe the WRR/X is a great first bike. They're very tame and easy to ride from the factory, very easy to work on. easy to maintain, and are a blast. I don't think you can go wrong here... but we're all a little biased Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please 61865
Back to top Go down
DesertRider

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please   Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 3:40 pm

Thanks!!! This is great news, because I just went and sat on the thing for about the 25th time and am now pretty much obsessed. I'm about 6 feet tall, 175. The bike seems sort of high, but I'm able to get toes on the ground pretty easily with the stock tuning. The main reason I like it so much IS the height - I love the feel/look of that high YZ-like suspension!

I haven't taken a test ride yet - just got through the MSF course and got my NM license endorsement at lunch today. I ordered some solid gear online and hope to get it all soon so I can go over to the shop and get going. I've been wanting to motorcycle for a long time, so I'm pretty excited. I think if I get this thing I'll probably just keep it for the next 5 years or more, or until it dies.
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please   Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 4:29 pm

If you've got both toes down, you should be fine, especially with a bike as light as the WR. If you find just toes a little intimidating at first, you can lower the bike almost an inch without any parts to purchase. You may find you want it a bit lower as you start to venture off of pavement, just to improve your confidence a little.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please   Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:09 am

DesertRider wrote:
Thanks!!! This is great news, because I just went and sat on the thing for about the 25th time and am now pretty much obsessed. I'm about 6 feet tall, 175. The bike seems sort of high, but I'm able to get toes on the ground pretty easily with the stock tuning. The main reason I like it so much IS the height - I love the feel/look of that high YZ-like suspension!

I haven't taken a test ride yet - just got through the MSF course and got my NM license endorsement at lunch today. I ordered some solid gear online and hope to get it all soon so I can go over to the shop and get going. I've been wanting to motorcycle for a long time, so I'm pretty excited. I think if I get this thing I'll probably just keep it for the next 5 years or more, or until it dies.

Go talk to Keith at BJ's Yamaha... he will give you honest and experienced advice. He gave me a competitive price. He rode supercross for a while and knows these bikes inside out. Tell him Gary sent you.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please   Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:15 am

Woo we have another Gary on here! Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please 810411

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please   Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 11:59 am

Hi DesertRider:

As a non-owner of the R/X, S/SF and L/M, I can unequivocally say the R/X is the best Dual Purpose bike in the quarter liter class thanks to its class leading mid-range to top end performance, superior suspension and taller rider ergonomics to name a few.

The above needs to be tempered with the following caveats however. The WR is a bit pricey, her on-off-on throttle abruptness may take some time getting used to and due to her ride height, can intimidate the newest riders.

The current KLX250 S/SF is the current super bargain high end Dual Purpose ride in the quarter-liter class with only its suspension and carbureted engine holding it back.

The CRF is the easiest to learn on and ride due to low ride height, probably the least expensive to repair and most reliable over the longer term due to lack of Water Cooling. There are negatives to this this exclusion however. And the CRF is at least a generation back from either the KLX or WR's in terms of suspension, display, engine performance and is now too pricey by comparison to the bargain KLX or the best in class WR imho.

As mentioned by the heavy hitters above, the WR's ride height can be reduced from 1” for no cost and up to 5” with minor modifications.

Here is a Pro’s and Con’s in my short 3,000 + miles in the saddle as I make my way across the Continent...

2010 Yamaha WR250X Adventure Touring Project - 100 MPG from “East to West”

No matter which bike you choose, do not look back with any regrets. The enjoyment you are about to experience will far outweigh any “What If’s” you may have later.

Good Luck

Wayne
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please   Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 11:06 pm

If this short stack (pictured here at 5'-4") can ride one (with a lowering link and forks), you shouldn't have too much of problem.

Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please Alamo_Pam_Gorman

She started on a CRF230 and now also has a CRF250x (also with a lowering link), as well as this WRR.

The other thing to look at is the wheelbase (WB). The KLX and WR may be close, but the CRF WB is significantly shorter.

There are both pros and cons of WB, but more often than not, WB will provide a better (rough terrain with higher speed) handling bike ( especially riding on terrain with bumps made by standard off-road WB dimensioned bikes).
Back to top Go down
DesertRider

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please   Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:30 am

Ha-ha! Thanks for that. And thanks to everyone else for the great advice. I took the plunge and bought one yesterday. Just have to wait for my new gear to arrive in the mail and then I'll be on the road. Really looking forward to it - been wanting to do this for a REALLY long time. As soon as I have some good pictures, I'll post some up. Man, those gold forks are so awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please   Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 am

Welcome, HI!

* officially thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please   Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie Rider Seeking Advice on WR250R Purchase, ASAP, Please
Page 1 of 1