Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Pulling the clutch

Go down 
+7
Chief_Lee_Visceral
Matty
X-Racer
Akasy
Krabill
john92
Medski
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Medski

Medski

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 4:47 pm

How often do you pull the clutch lever when upshifting or downshifting? Do you the same on the road and in the trails?

Any major risk of upshifting or downshifting without touching the Lever?
Back to top Go down
john92

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 4:51 pm

I believe I almost always use it. But if there are some advantages to not doing so, I am open to trying it. Just out of habit, I hardly ever shift without clutching. It's automatic in my head.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Every time.

Well . . . that's not entirely true. If my left hand is busy (taking a picture, wiping my faceshield, waving, etc) I'll skip the clutch, but as long as it's on the handlebar, I'm going to use it.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 5:07 pm

more than you might want to read Pulling the clutch 93746
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586471
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 12:59 am

I ride with one, sometimes two fingers on the clutch and use it religiously.

The only time I do NOT have at least one finger on the clutch is if I am expecting to stay in one gear AND in BIG bumps OR on steep downhill bumps where the rear wheel is hopping all over and I'm desperately trying to slow down (more often than not for a big "V" ditch at the bottom) and even in that case, where there is traction, use the one finger technique to keep the rear wheel from sliding (not a preferred braking technique).

It's not as apparent on a 250, but on a bike with bigger HP, feathering the clutch in marginal traction is a big plus in getting power and/or braking capability to the ground in a controlled fashion and ALWAYS on loose traction when shifting while in a turn (I can only be so careful with the throttle !) or in off camber scenarios.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 10:49 am

on the street rarely ever on upshift's almost all the time on downshifts. in the dirt i use the clutch a lot more.

on my two sportbikes with slipper clutches, i almost never use the clutch except for N into 1st and sometimes 1st into 2nd and/or when i want to wheelie.... my Litre bike has 48K miles and my 600cc has about 18K miles, both are still on the original clutch.
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 11:40 am

Matty wrote:
on the street rarely ever on upshift's almost all the time on downshifts. in the dirt i use the clutch a lot more.

on my two sportbikes with slipper clutches, i almost never use the clutch except for N into 1st and sometimes 1st into 2nd and/or when i want to wheelie.... my Litre bike has 48K miles and my 600cc has about 18K miles, both are still on the original clutch.

Interesting. I am the opposite. On the street I rarely use on downshifts almost always on upshifts. I blip the throttle usually on the downshifts and doing so usually because I am compression braking.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 12:19 pm

I use the clutch 100% of the time. I see no reason not to.
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 8:15 pm

Mr.Metal wrote:
I use the clutch 100% of the time. I see no reason not to.

Same here. I've had to ride without a clutch lever on return trips home from the trails on my old KLR a few times, but that's a different story wink
Back to top Go down

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Walker Evans!!!   Pulling the clutch EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 11:07 am

Would you power-shift a 6-speed twin turbo porsche??? Using the clutch (up or down) is an effective way of maintaining complete control.
Back to top Go down

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 11:10 am

Maybe a bad example.... How about power-shifting a stock VW GTI??? Either way, if you can't find it, grind it!!!! poser2
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 11:33 am

Surfer-X wrote:
Maybe a bad example.... How about power-shifting a stock VW GTI??? Either way, if you can't find it, grind it!!!! poser2

All cars (except race cars) are a bad example. Passenger cars have helical cut gears. The gears in a bike are straight cut.
Back to top Go down

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Chief_Lee_Visceral wrote:
Surfer-X wrote:

All cars (except race cars) are a bad example. Passenger cars have helical cut gears. The gears in a bike are straight cut.

Good point... Was waiting for a gearhead to call me out freaky What? You grow up riding a clutch-less ATC? puke
Back to top Go down
stumo

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 12:24 pm

It's the fact that bikes have dog boxes and cars have syncro boxes is why you can change gears on a bike without using the clutch (you can in a car too but you have to match revs and speed to do so without grinding the gears)
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 1:18 pm

stumo wrote:
It's the fact that bikes have dog boxes and cars have syncro boxes is why you can change gears on a bike without using the clutch (you can in a car too but you have to match revs and speed to do so without grinding the gears)

Yep but you technically can change gears on all these without the clutch if you match revs correctly so I was just being a smartass really in that even if you did match revs like a non-synchro box you would have the difference of the gear cut to consider. Trying to be cute and I didn't pull it off very well Pulling the clutch Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 1:20 pm

God damn gearheads! bow
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 1:26 pm

Microwaves use a dog gear to spin the platter.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Ummmm...   Pulling the clutch EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Constant mesh--dogs do the engagement on motorcycles.
Surfer-X wrote:

Back to top Go down
stumo

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 3:48 pm

stumo wrote:

Yep but you technically can change gears on all these without the clutch if you match revs correctly so I was just being a smartass really in that even if you did match revs like a non-synchro box you would have the difference of the gear cut to consider. Trying to be cute and I didn't pull it off very well Pulling the clutch Icon_rolleyes

I'll let you off! Pulling the clutch 61865

but in reality it's nothing to do with helical v's straight cut....... Pulling the clutch 93746
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 4:43 pm

stumo wrote:
stumo wrote:

I'll let you off! Pulling the clutch 61865

but in reality it's nothing to do with helical v's straight cut....... Pulling the clutch 93746

Commercial driver friend told me it was not good for the gears themselves when he saw me shifting my pickup without the clutch. I am sure he said the gears and not the synchros. Of course I was shifting the pickup like that to impress on him that he should let me borrow his dump truck so everything he said was golden Pulling the clutch 93746 I really have no idea why he said it.
Back to top Go down
BigBird

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 11:02 pm

Me and thousands of others with Revloc or Rekluse and Left Hand Rear Brake don't even have a clutch lever and I've seen no reports of gear box problems!
Back to top Go down
stumo

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 3:27 am

BigBird wrote:
Me and thousands of others with Revloc or Rekluse and Left Hand Rear Brake don't even have a clutch lever and I've seen no reports of gear box problems!

that maybe so but i bet you roll off the throttle when you change gear (even just a tiny bit) !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pulling the clutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling the clutch   Pulling the clutch Empty

Back to top Go down

Pulling the clutch
Page 1 of 1