Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Am I a Sucker??

Go down 
+6
X-Racer
taoshum
Boondocker
Chief_Lee_Visceral
inspector
Mikechicago
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Am I a Sucker??   Am I a Sucker?? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Cause I watched On Any Sunday, and now Malcolm Smith is my hero???
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I a Sucker??   Am I a Sucker?? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Yes you most definitely are!

*take that with a grain of salt, I've never seen it.
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I a Sucker??   Am I a Sucker?? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:48 pm

Just watching it now?

The helicopter shots at Malcom at Lake Elsinore are so cool.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Malcolm Smith is my hero   Am I a Sucker?? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Mikechicago wrote:
I watched 'On Any Sunday' when it came out. Malcolm was already my hero at the time and the movie solidified that opinion. I own the DVD and watch it once in a while because it's my favorite film. Malcolm Smith is still my motorcycle hero, followed by David L. Hough.

As much as I enjoy a movie like 'Long Way Around', those guys don't hold a candle to the riding skill and true grit of the one and only Malcolm Smith.

You may or should be aware that Malcolm Smith stood up to the ban on "childrens' motorcycles" by continuing to sell them and making a spectacle of it when they were banned. AMA article linky Not only does he have a great personality, he has unimpeachable integrity.

What are your heros made of?

Last edited by Boondocker on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I a Sucker??   Am I a Sucker?? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 11:16 pm

On Any Sunday and Dust to Glory is on Netflix's watch instantly list. Both are great films that make me want to race and just ride in the dirt. But then I remember I cant afford a straight up dirt bike, and I spent all my money on the X because i knew someone selling it and it was street legal. Dont get me wrong I love my bike, I just know i could have alot more fun with no pesky Rules Of The Road on my back. The part where the three of them are just having fun riding in the desert....looks like my kinda day. thumb
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: LOL, debut in 1971   Am I a Sucker?? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:53 am

Mikechicago wrote:

LOL, I was stationed in Washington DC in 1970-71 and missing riding in the west. We drove by a movie theater about 3pm on a Sunday and saw the movie title on the marqee "On Any Sunday"; we stopped, on a hunch, to see it. It blew me away, I saw it 4 times that week, in a walk-in theater.

The movie kinda went underground until VCRs came along, then we bought a copy and watched a few more times; now it's on DVD, maybe Blu-ray?, and people are still watching it and learning about MS.

I heard that he still rides in Colo, amazing. He's the equivalent of Mickey Mantle in my estimation or any other great athlete.

You are "no sucker"; it is the real thing, even today. No one before or after has captured the essense of riding so well.

If you ride with the same style and attitude, not to mention skill, you'll love it, IMHO.

Go for it.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I a Sucker??   Am I a Sucker?? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 2:09 am

Uh huh.... BIG SUCKER. < Kidding >

He's a legend but in my mind the west (at the time) is filled with legends as big as he is. There were legends as big in the east, but the west received most of the propaganda.

I was lucky enough as a eleven year old kid who's father had a M/C shop and was invited (as were many So Cal. industry personnel) to the original (Yes, the first) showing of the movie in Westwood Village (West Los Angeles).

I'm not signing up to him being the only one who has "Captured the essence of riding" more than others. I would subscribe to the opinion that the movie itself captured the essence of riding and perhaps his appearance in the movie helps to promote that essence.

He is, without a doubt, one of the best things to ever happen to the sport both on and off the race track as well as the impact he has made on the current (industrial) state of off-road motorcycling.

So Mike, I hate to tell you this, but you are only one of the MILLIONS who are big fans of "Neat Malcolm".

I have been told that you could walk into his shop on any day he is there and actually talk to him just like you would talk to anyone you know who loves motorcycles and you'd get that same fresh smiling response from him listening as you told your stories.

That's pretty special...

Last edited by X-Racer on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I a Sucker??   Am I a Sucker?? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 2:09 am

Another cool movie was "Cycles South". It's a 70's flick that was on Comcast On-Demand for a while, about 3 guys that took a long-ass trip down through South America to the Panama Canal. Pretty cool movie, lots of crazy riding on bikes that shouldn't be able to do what they did!

And I agree, Dust to Glory is sweet!

My all-time favorite is still The World's Fastest Indian. Not a documentary, I know, but oh-so-awesome :)
Back to top Go down
Akasy

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I a Sucker??   Am I a Sucker?? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:21 am

[quote
What are your heros made of?[/quote]

I respect and admire riding skills--but hero--got a different meaning to me.

http://www.history.army.mil/moh.html
http://www.odmp.org/

Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I a Sucker??   Am I a Sucker?? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 11:47 am

Boondocker wrote:
Malcolm Smith is still my motorcycle hero
With all due respect to soldiers and people of valor everywhere, please try not to quote me out of context. After all, this is a motorcycle forum. I'll admit to being jaded by the media's use of the word hero when crass celebrity is clearly indicated. I'm glad your heroes are made of the right stuff.

Akasy wrote:
[quote

[/quote]
Back to top Go down
stumo

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I a Sucker??   Am I a Sucker?? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:36 pm

I've wanted to see this film for so long but nobody had it.....so i've just ordered it! thumb
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I a Sucker??   Am I a Sucker?? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 5:59 pm

one of the guys i ride with knows him,he sent me pic of him at pikes peak.
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I a Sucker??   Am I a Sucker?? EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Akasy wrote:
[quote

[/quote]

When your at a funeral, and when someone says, "He was a great man," do you pull out a book of Abraham Lincoln and go, "You wanna see a great man!"

My brother is a Sergeant in the Army's Infantry, he has been shot and blown up, and is still walking around. IMO, a hero can range from a war hero to the true hearted family man, to the person standing up for their little cause. Not everyone is cut out for dodging bullets, but that doesn't make them less of a hero, they can still be great people in life.

usa

p.s. I'm from Chicago, trust me, not every cop is a hero, TRUST ME. There are great cops, who died to make my city a better place, but not all of them are great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Am I a Sucker?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I a Sucker??   Am I a Sucker?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I a Sucker??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: Off Topic-
Jump to: