Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

anyone mixed oil before?

Go down 
+5
mattf
craigq
f3joel
Akasy
NorgeWR2X
9 posters
AuthorMessage
NorgeWR2X

anyone mixed oil before? Empty
PostSubject: anyone mixed oil before?   anyone mixed oil before? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 2:31 am

hi so i have about 1/2 qt of yamalube but a lot of rotella t synthetic. i ran rotella on my yamaha fz6 for years and everything was good. just wondering if i should mix the two oils on the next oil change. thanks.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Oils   anyone mixed oil before? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:23 am

NorgeWR2X wrote:
hi so i have about 1/2 qt of yamalube but a lot of rotella t synthetic. i ran rotella on my yamaha fz6 for years and everything was good. just wondering if i should mix the two oils on the next oil change. thanks.

I personally stick strickly with the OEM oil recommendation at least until the entire warranty period has run its course. That includes sticking to "their" oil so there can be no question if I have a waranty claim.
Now where is that popcorn eating emoticon for yet another oil thread?
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: anyone mixed oil before?   anyone mixed oil before? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:24 am

Don't mix, but you can use all rotella
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: anyone mixed oil before?   anyone mixed oil before? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:52 am

I mix different types of oil regularly (with 1.3-1.4L per change there's always some old oil left over), I've done UOA's on previous bikes that showed no adverse effects.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: anyone mixed oil before?   anyone mixed oil before? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:52 am

when I worked at a service station when I was going to school I was always told not to mix oils.
Back to top Go down
NorgeWR2X

PostSubject: Re: anyone mixed oil before?   anyone mixed oil before? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 10:18 am

oh yeah i tug of rotella i have is actually a mix of synth and dino. lol i was thinking of a triple mix. BUT, oil is oil, chances are they lubricate the same way (are the same), RIGHT?
Back to top Go down
Jay

PostSubject: Re: anyone mixed oil before?   anyone mixed oil before? EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 1:42 am

Mixing the oils is probably OK, but also not optimum. The additive package of one oil might conflict with the additive package of the other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone mixed oil before?   anyone mixed oil before? EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 12:27 pm

I mix all the time. Especially when I'm running low on full synth I will blend a bit of it with dino or go half and half. No problems whatsoever mixing oil, that's what semi synthetic is. My reasoning is that if the engine is operating in conditions so harsh that the dino oil starts breaking down, there will still be synthetic in there to help out. Oil isn't as rocket science as people think, as long as each of the oils is appropriate for the car/bike on it's own, there should be no problems mixing.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: anyone mixed oil before?   anyone mixed oil before? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 11:31 pm

Follow the factory recommended type & weight of oil to maximize engine life & reliability. You don't have to use their brand but the API rating type & weight is very important since the engine is designed to use that certain oil type. I've seen issues with people that have bought new cars within the last 3 years & using the proper oil is critical. The person was taking their car to the quick lube place & they were using the wrong weight oil (too heavy) for several oil changes & it turns out that the engine was starved for oil & it was ruined.
Back to top Go down
BWA

BWA

PostSubject: Re: anyone mixed oil before?   anyone mixed oil before? EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 10:26 pm

ok, so how bad is it to run 10w-40 instead of 10w-30? I can't find the latter anywhere locally...
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: anyone mixed oil before?   anyone mixed oil before? EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 11:15 pm

As long as you are using oils that fits the bike's requirements (additive package to be checked..) You should be able to mix a tad without issues.

Personnally, I won't mix syntec with 50-50 or non-syntec. I will though mix same type like left over Penzoil 10-40w Syntec with some 10-30w Castrol Syntec, for example.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anyone mixed oil before?   anyone mixed oil before? Empty

Back to top Go down

anyone mixed oil before?
Page 1 of 1