Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Knee Guards with MX Boots

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gatorfan

gatorfan

Knee Guards with MX Boots Empty
PostSubject: Knee Guards with MX Boots   Knee Guards with MX Boots EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:45 pm

I currently wear knee/shin protectors with hiking boots.

I want to switch to MX or Trials boots with just knee guards. Do the boots interfere with knee guards? It appears from online pics the knee braces all extend down a bit and would overlap/interfere with the boots. I'm envisioning trouble standing up and down alot.

Please advise. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: Knee Guards with MX Boots   Knee Guards with MX Boots EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 9:34 pm

I have Thor brand knee braces & Alpinestars MX boots. Yes, they overlap - but it isn't an issue. The top of the boot is big enough to encircle the brace (probably designed that way dunno ) I also wear these boots with my leathers on the Motard track - no issues with that armour either, it also overlaps.

I don't know what trouble you might be envisioning scratch as where they overlap is nowhere near where one's leg bends.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Knee Guards with MX Boots   Knee Guards with MX Boots EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 9:42 pm

KLRchickie wrote:
I have Thor brand knee braces & Alpinestars MX boots. Yes, they overlap - but it isn't an issue. The top of the boot is big enough to encircle the brace (probably designed that way dunno ) I also wear these boots with my leathers on the Motard track - no issues with that armour either, it also overlaps.

I don't know what trouble you might be envisioning scratch as where they overlap is nowhere near where one's leg bends.

The boots I'm looking at are designed to be snug at the top - "built in gaitors". I'm picturing the bottom of the knee brace pressing into the top of the boot and sorta "jamming" instead of overlapping. I can always test at home and return but was hoping to avoid shipping fees.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Knee Guards with MX Boots   Knee Guards with MX Boots EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 9:47 pm

Any motocross boot I've seen or worn is intended to go over the bottom of the knee/shin guard.
Basically, the bottom half of the guard is covered by the boot, and the boot is designed to fit over it.
That's how it's done by me every weekend.
Just make sure you use motocross knee-shin guards with your motocross boots, and you won't have a problem.
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Knee Guards with MX Boots   Knee Guards with MX Boots EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 8:39 am

1+

I wear my knee guards with the bottom inside my boots too.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Knee Guards with MX Boots   Knee Guards with MX Boots EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 6:44 pm

+2.. most knee protection is made to tuck in a little.. if it needs to. Your pants are over the knee guards, your boots are over the pants.. hard to put the knee guards over the boot..
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Knee Guards with MX Boots   Knee Guards with MX Boots EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 8:07 pm

So rydnseek, you put zip ties on a flat front tire and were able to ride?
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Knee Guards with MX Boots   Knee Guards with MX Boots EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 10:04 pm

gatorfan wrote:
So rydnseek, you put zip ties on a flat front tire and were able to ride?

Yes, & for quite a long while.. i guess you saw the TT report.. i was on my drz, then.

As long as the bead stayed on the wrx, it would fare even better, imo, because of the stiffer sidewalls on the tires.

Here was the flat tire post with assorted commentary..
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681522

It happened on this ride:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389746
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knee Guards with MX Boots   Knee Guards with MX Boots Empty

Back to top Go down

Knee Guards with MX Boots
Page 1 of 1