Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Boston Mountains

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

Boston Mountains Empty
PostSubject: Boston Mountains   Boston Mountains EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 9:26 pm

Took a nice little ride on Sunday. 172 miles round trip through the Boston Mountains. I have a friend in the hospital in Ft. Smith and wanted to go visit. The area I have shaded in Yellow is basically full of dirt roads and trails (actually, this whole map is full of non-paved travel ways.... Fayetteville to Ft. Smith is roughly 58 miles if you stick to pavement.

Boston Mountains MillCreekWRArea

I rode through the Mill Creek area during the Black Jack Enduro at White Rock a "A rugged and remote landmark." Tons of bikes all around the Mill Creek and White Rock areas. I figured it was best to stay off the marked trails in this area. Wouldn't want to be strolling along at a sightseeing pace and find myself in the middle of a race! So I stuck to the dirt roads until I felt like I was clear of any racers, that's when I saw this unmarked trail:

Boston Mountains PIC-0141

Not sure if this was private property or not, I didn't see any mis-spelled signs, so I felt relatively safe.
It started near the top of the mountain and went straight down to a small creek in the valley. Lots of storm debris in certain spots (I laid the R² down twice trying to reach the bottom), but I was surprised at how clear the trails were just 2 months after that crazy storm.
Boston Mountains PIC-0142

Eventually I made it to a county road and crossed the Ozark Highlands Trail at Dockery's Gap (cool 3D map).
Boston Mountains PIC-0143

Stuck to the main County roads from here and hit Summit Medical Center using only 8-10 miles of pavement.
Keep the visit short. I didn't want to rush back on the slab, too much dirt to explore taking the scenic route.

I saw this huge slab of rock that said "Memorial Pine Plantaion", I wonder what this is all about....
Boston Mountains PIC-0145

Today's WR250R Adventure is brought to you in part by Adventure Subaru, featuring fuel efficient, Earth gripping, Symmetrical All-wheel-drive. Adventure Subaru on North College in Fayetteville. To learn more, visit Adventure Subaru Dot Com
Boston Mountains PIC-0149

The Memorial Pine Forest had a trail cutting right through the center of it. What is a pine forest without a trail?
I grew up riding BMX and motorcycles in a pine forest, so this was kinda nostalgic. I need to remember that riding on pine needles can be tricky!
Boston Mountains PIC-0146

The trail fizzled out near the back edge of the forest at a bluff line. Dark is coming soon, better haul ass...
Boston Mountains PIC-0147

After several miles off dirt roads in very poor shape I crossed a dirt road that was a little wider and looked pretty smooth. It branched off in a generally westward direction, so I took it. This road was fast straight stretches over the mountain connected by really wide cut-backs. WFO in 4th-5th gear for the next several miles. It has been 6-7 months since my last track day, so practicing my road racing lines was really fun and I got lost pretending I was Rossi for a minute then bam!, the road deteriorates to loose gravel, steering and braking ability disappear and a sharp 90+ degree corner comes up out of nowhere! I lock up the rear and come skidding to a stop about 3 feet from this nasty, nasty drop off:
Boston Mountains PIC-0150
Boston Mountains PIC-0155
Boston Mountains PIC-0152

Kinda hard to see, but the bluff on the right had a really pretty water fall. It was a little hard to enjoy the beauty of the area with shit running down my leg.
Boston Mountains PIC-0157
Boston Mountains PIC-0158

This is how close I was to the freaking edge
Boston Mountains PIC-0165
Boston Mountains PIC-0168

After taking a few pics and catching my breath, I had to climb back up to my bike
Boston Mountains PIC-0167

That was enough excitement to last me the rest of the journey, so I backed it way off an eased my way back to Fayetteville at a more reasonable pace. Got home just after dark and headed straight to Dickson street to meet some friends and drink a much needed beer.... dutch
Back to top Go down
Krabill

Boston Mountains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boston Mountains   Boston Mountains EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 9:14 am

I have GOT to make it over there and go riding w/ you. Looks like a lot of nice trails.
Back to top Go down
gkasper

Boston Mountains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boston Mountains   Boston Mountains EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 11:42 am

No kidding! I'm coming too!
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

Boston Mountains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boston Mountains   Boston Mountains EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 2:26 pm

I'd love for you both to come and show me around ;-) I need a GPS so I can start mapping these trails I find. I understand that most of the Mill Creek trails are well marked, I just haven't explored them much. They say there are 30-40 miles of trail out there, not counting these unmarked trails that I keep stumbling upon. Cliff (Bandit) and his crew know their way around out here pretty well, but they have better off road skillz than I do!

You guys should get Bob and HF to come along also. We'd have a blast. Lots of good camping, maybe do an overnight? I just need to figure out bag system for overnights.
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

Boston Mountains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boston Mountains   Boston Mountains EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 9:47 pm

If I can get my life straightened out and sell the other toy, I'll come over and join y'all!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Boston Mountains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boston Mountains   Boston Mountains Empty

Back to top Go down

Boston Mountains
Page 1 of 1