Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

nose dive...?

Go down 
+5
WRoldman
bhmax
ZED
dc4stroke
NorgeWR2X
9 posters
AuthorMessage
NorgeWR2X

nose dive...? Empty
PostSubject: nose dive...?   nose dive...? EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 9:01 pm

is it normal to nose dive a lot when braking? i wonder if my suspension needs to be adjusted. i think i have factory settings...
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

nose dive...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: nose dive...?   nose dive...? EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 10:38 pm

Yes it will.
This is a result of two things. Spring preload and/or compression dampening.
Spring preload can be thought of as how much the spring is loaded. If the spring has more preload it has more resistence to compressing.
Compression dampening can be thought of as how much the fluid in the shock absorber/ fork is regulated as itflows in the dampening circuit as the fork compresses . And rebound as it expands. If you increase the dampening you are restricting this flow.

Your owners manual will explain the mechanics of the adjustment themselve. However......I am no means a guru in its setup. I suggest you get with some other riders in your area who race and are good at it and they can help you. The shop you bought the bike from would be the best place to start. Most shops have someone who is willing to give you a hand.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

nose dive...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: nose dive...?   nose dive...? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:36 am

As has been said, look to other local riders, or the shop for additional hands-on input.

Also, the amount of dive that is acceptable is also dependant upon your use. I run with two more clicks of damping when I'm on the motard track than I do when I'm out on the trails. That makes it a little less divey. You don't want to get so much damping that you're not using the suspension on the bumps though. There's a reason we have 10" of travel. Very happy

Back to top Go down
bhmax

nose dive...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: nose dive...?   nose dive...? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 9:50 am

I find that this bike compared to most other street bikes I've ridden is helped a lot more by adding rear brake. It seems to keep the rear end down and makes hard braking much more stable. I tried just front again when braking the other day and definitely noticed it seems to make the nose dive more noticeable.
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

nose dive...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: nose dive...?   nose dive...? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 11:40 am

err.....duh.
Back to top Go down
bhmax

nose dive...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: nose dive...?   nose dive...? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 11:45 am

Might not be a duh to everyone Very happy
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

nose dive...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: nose dive...?   nose dive...? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 2:14 pm

The value of the rear brake is often overlooked. Usually the result of a scare while using it. The rear brake needs to be practiced just like any other aspect of riding.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

nose dive...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: nose dive...?   nose dive...? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:57 am

NorgeWR2X wrote:
is it normal to nose dive a lot when braking? i wonder if my suspension needs to be adjusted. i think i have factory settings...

try it in a parking lot, sitting on the bike, no forward motion. Apply the front brake, then push on the handlebars as though you were going to push the bike forward. The front forks will compress and the rear end will lift just like on the street or anywhere else. It is especially dangerous in a turn since it shortens the wheelbase and increases rake. You cannot get rid of it, nor would you want to... you need the suspension to absorb bumps and holes... just gotta learn how to brake. take some moto riding safety classes, soon!!!
Back to top Go down
xrider27

nose dive...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: nose dive...?   nose dive...? EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 pm

I get some nose dive also.

nose dive...? IMG_0659
Back to top Go down
SoupSandwich

SoupSandwich

nose dive...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: nose dive...?   nose dive...? EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 5:03 pm

xrider27 wrote: