Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fork Jobs

Go down 
+3
aaronhall555
john92
Akasy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Akasy

Fork Jobs Empty
PostSubject: Fork Jobs   Fork Jobs EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:29 pm

With a lot of bikes in and out of my stable I'm surprised that this is the first one with upside down forks. I'm not sold on them for dual sport duty as I like the gaiter coverage and elevation of standard forks (out of rock ding range). I really think nicks and dirt are going to make the seals a frequent replacement item, time will tell.
Anyway I just got a set of forks from ebay for $78 susposedly with only 4000 miles and new seals--don't know why. Anyway, I've got a set of Pro-Motion
forks on my XR650R and I'm happy with the performance--I like a plush ride with low compression damping. I plan on sending this new set of forks off for rebuild to have them on hand if and when my stock ones begin to leak.
Thought I would ask if anyone has other suspension companies that they think have done a good job with the WRR forks and why.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
john92

Fork Jobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Jobs   Fork Jobs EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Go-Race Suspension has an ad in the Vendor Section and he has done a handfull of WRRs. They say he does good work.

Oh yeah, Rub it in about the new forks from Ebay!! JK, I helped get them up to that price but I'm glad I decided to let them go. I would like to get my forks done eventually but will just send in the ones I have. I realized I didn't need an extra set lying around. I would say you got a hell of a good deal though.
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

Fork Jobs Empty
PostSubject: How to Stop Fork Seals from Leaking    Fork Jobs EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Just want to share this video. Looks like a simple important process. My forks started to slightly leak around 12,000 miles. I'm going to attempt to build my own fork seal cleaning tool out of a two liter bottle, mimicking the design of the one in the video.

Here's a video that shows a technique to pull down the dust seal:
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

Fork Jobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Jobs   Fork Jobs EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Good videos. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

Fork Jobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Jobs   Fork Jobs EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:45 am

I've had success using a piece of 35mm film negative.

Trying to clean dirt from the seals is definitely worth a try, and can save you the cost / hassle of replacing the seals.

And I suspect this tool might work also:

Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Fork Jobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Jobs   Fork Jobs EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Travis at Go Race rebuilt my rear shock but to save money and hassle of shipping forks from Canada, he did up a fork kit for me with new valving and SKF fork seals. I rebuilt both forks at home in an afternoon. The job is not very difficult though I have rebuilt and installed Gold Valves in a number of right side up forks before. Just doing fork seals without the base valve removal is pretty easy, just need to buy or make up a couple special tools.
Back to top Go down
v-tec

Fork Jobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Jobs   Fork Jobs EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 2:41 pm

Chrispy1200 wrote:
Travis at Go Race rebuilt my rear shock but to save money and hassle of shipping forks from Canada, he did up a fork kit for me with new valving and SKF fork seals. I rebuilt both forks at home in an afternoon. The job is not very difficult though I have rebuilt and installed Gold Valves in a number of right side up forks before. Just doing fork seals without the base valve removal is pretty easy, just need to buy or make up a couple special tools.

What tools were they chrispy,
Did you go for SINGLE or TWO STAGE VALVING.
How dose it feel now

v-tec
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Fork Jobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Jobs   Fork Jobs EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 5:08 pm

v-tec wrote:
Chrispy1200 wrote:

How dose it feel now

v-tec

Damper rod holder and fork seal driver.

Compression base valve only.

Winter here so it's gonna be a month or two before I get my first test ride.
Back to top Go down
v-tec

Fork Jobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Jobs   Fork Jobs EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 4:04 am

Chrispy1200 wrote:
v-tec wrote:
Chrispy1200 wrote:

How dose it feel now

v-tec

Thanks for that,
I have the seal driver, But will make the damper rod holder from a piece of tubeing,

went out yesterday on the bike, FREEZING cold,but woke up to 4 inches of snow this morning, our first this year,so its time to start work on the bike,
stay tuned

V-tec
Back to top Go down
HeliGuy

HeliGuy

Fork Jobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Jobs   Fork Jobs EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 7:00 pm

I have already lost some Fork seal oil from my leaking seals if i could fix it with this is there a way to tell if i have lost to much?

Chrispy1200 wrote:
v-tec wrote:
Chrispy1200 wrote:

How dose it feel now

v-tec

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fork Jobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Jobs   Fork Jobs Empty

Back to top Go down

Fork Jobs
Page 1 of 1