Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner

Go down 
+2
Dancamp
Yaozer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Yaozer

65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner Empty
PostSubject: 65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner   65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:29 pm

Going to get heated gear in the next week or so and I'm looking at the firstgear line up. Will the 90 watt jacket liner (with gloves) be too taxing on the electrical system of my WRX? The only other things I may run would be heated grips and a GPS on occasion. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: 65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner   65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:49 pm

I wear a heated jacket and glove liners that totals to 90 watts and there is no problem. There is plenty of room left for other accessories.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: 65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner   65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 9:10 am

You have a 350 watt alternator. You can run pretty much anything you want and it won't tax the electrical system.

I'm running a 90 watt jacket, gloves, grips, and my gps. Never had a problem.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: 65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner   65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 am

I run a Gerbing jacket, Gerbing gloves, and heated grip wraps. Works great.
I have blown a stator though!
Some say it's from running the heated gear. Some say it's from not changing the oil enough. I change the oil more frequently than the service schedule indicates so I don't know the cause.

I'm headed to work this morning with heated gear on. If I go through another stator, then I'll think maybe it's the gear. Till then, it sure is nice to be warm and it seriously extends the commuting season up here.

Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: 65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner   65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 10:10 am

I've got almost 15k miles on my bike and used all my heated gear all last winter and have even started using it this season already. Nary a problem with any of it.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: 65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner   65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 11:37 pm

I've got the 65w liner from Warm n Safe, but only because I don't think I'll need the extra heat on the 90w and I wanted the second controller it came with to run my heated socks. So far I've had the GPS, hot grips, warm n safe gloves, and 65w liner at full tilt with no percievable issues beyond getting too warm. Feels soooooooooo good to be warm in a light jacket on a cool day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner   65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 1:36 pm

ZED wrote:
I run a Gerbing jacket, Gerbing gloves, and heated grip wraps. Works great.
I have blown a stator though!
Some say it's from running the heated gear. Some say it's from not changing the oil enough. I change the oil more frequently than the service schedule indicates so I don't know the cause.

I'm headed to work this morning with heated gear on. If I go through another stator, then I'll think maybe it's the gear. Till then, it sure is nice to be warm and it seriously extends the commuting season up here.

I thought the stators are happier with more load on them?
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: 65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner   65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 11:10 pm

skierd wrote:
I've got the 65w liner from Warm n Safe, but only because I don't think I'll need the extra heat on the 90w and I wanted the second controller it came with to run my heated socks. So far I've had the GPS, hot grips, warm n safe gloves, and 65w liner at full tilt with no percievable issues beyond getting too warm. Feels soooooooooo good to be warm in a light jacket on a cool day.

OOOOO. Heated Socks!!!!! droooool
That's the next bit of heated gear I need.
A couple of degrees above freezing in the rain I'm warm except for the toes.

twowheeled wrote:

I thought the stators are happier with more load on them?

Well, the more power you're pulling from the stator, the more current is going through its windings, the more heat it has to dissipate. Heat it up enough and things start to get runny and melty. Keep in mind the stator is bathed in oil. How much is too much I don't know.

Back to top Go down
blewwrx

PostSubject: Re: 65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner   65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 6:55 pm

Can anyone provide a link to their heated gear, especially the jacket liner? This thread definitely is making me think on getting some heated gear. Do you just wire it directly to the battery?
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: 65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner   65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 1:02 am

After riding in the low 40's, high 30's a little this weekend, I've got one word for heated socks: Heaven.

All my heated stuff came direct from Warm n Safe:
http://www.warmnsafe.com/

Prices are approximate..
Gloves were $150
65w Jacket liner with 3 step controller and remote - $150
socks $50
remote dual controller $120.

Not freezing? Priceless.

You need some way to control the heat output of the heated gear you're wearing or it'll get too hot. Way too hot. Accidentally plugged the socks directly into the battery, they got HOT fast. heat trollers are nice and the remotes make them easy to use.

Wire up the coax battery harness, I have my lead sticking out of the front of the seat near the tank bag. gloves plug into the jacket, jacket plugs into the dual controller remote box. Socks have their own harness and remote box, the extra wiring I put in my pants pocket. I use the supplied Y-harness to tie the socks and jacket/glove plugs together so I only have to plug one wire into to the bike. I have the jacket and gloves run off the dual remote controller and the socks off the 3 step. I used the supplied velcro to mount the dual remote on the brake reservior, easy on and off. The 3 step remote clicker goes in my map pocket on the tank bag.
Back to top Go down
blewwrx

PostSubject: Re: 65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner   65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 6:58 am

Thanks for all the info skierd!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner   65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner Empty

Back to top Go down

65 watt vs 90 watt heated jacket liner
Page 1 of 1