Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone?

Go down 
+3
njbill
f3joel
deerHater
7 posters
AuthorMessage
deerHater

FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone? Empty
PostSubject: FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone?   FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone? EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 9:33 am

What type of silicone should be used for the muffler pipe to head (megabomb) joint?
Is there a special high temperature silicone for this?

I tried Canadian Tire, nothing seemed appropriately labelled for the job...

Maybe auto parts stores have something more suitable?
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone?   FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone? EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 6:11 pm

Yeah, go to an auto parts store

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Permatex-3-oz-85-g-tube-high-temp-red-RTV-silicone-gasket/_/N-25a0?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=high+temp&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=526939_0_0_
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone?   FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone? EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 8:57 pm

This is the second bike I put a Q4 on and I did not use silicone on either. dunno
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone?   FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone? EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 1:47 am

Next time, I'll probably try it without sealer.

First time, I used red high temp permatex silicone. I put a light bulb under it overnight or more 'cause I know the red loves to bubble and boil until it's cured. Seems to have worked; no bad manners.

I use the light bulb thing for various curing heat... epoxy, etc. I call it "easy baking" the part. Obvious reasons.

Again, many say silicone is not necessary so I might try it next time without sealer..

BigFeet
Back to top Go down
YamX1KRR

PostSubject: Re: FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone?   FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone? EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 pm

I used the red permatex as well, not sure if it is doing anything, haven't noticed anything. Next time I will use some stuff made for exhausts, Napa has some, not sure where else.

I did try it without anything, and it seemed to leak a decent amount (Q4 & Powerbomb). Not enough to hurt anything, but I could hear it hissing where the leak was, and just wanted it to be correct.
Back to top Go down
mullet2006

mullet2006

PostSubject: Re: FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone?   FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 3:49 am

deerHater wrote:
What type of silicone should be used for the muffler pipe to head (megabomb) joint?
Is there a special high temperature silicone for this?

I tried Canadian Tire, nothing seemed appropriately labelled for the job...

Maybe auto parts stores have something more suitable?

When i put on my megabomb and q4 the fmf instructions said to use a hi-temp rtv silicone.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone?   FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 11:05 am

The stuff I use is orange. Copper hi temp rtv silicone by Permatex. FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone? 61865

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone?   FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 7:41 am

Do you need to put any between the Powerbomb and the engine? Or is there a gasket that does the job?
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone?   FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Midnite171 wrote:
Do you need to put any between the Powerbomb and the engine? Or is there a gasket that does the job?
Yes, buy a new header gasket, it's pretty inexpensive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone?   FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone? Empty

Back to top Go down

FMF: header <-> Q4: which silicone?
Page 1 of 1