Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

GPS Mounts

Go down 
+8
Boondocker
taoshum
MeefZah
skierd
RimBenty
cannon
john92
granite4brains
12 posters
AuthorMessage
granite4brains

granite4brains

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 10:27 pm

I just bought a Garmin 60CSx ($199 on Coscto.com right now!) and am wondering what the best mount is for the stock WR250R handlebars.

Anybody else using a Garming and have a mount they're happy with?
Back to top Go down
john92

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 11:07 pm

I would recommend a RAM mount setup. As soon as I decide which GPS to pull the plug on, I'm going to get the matching cradle and run it off my right mirror perch. (which already has a RAM ball on it ready to go) I have a NUVI (crap) cradle for it now just for calibrating my speedo & such, plus I could attach another Doubletake Mirror, a cup holder, or my new GPS once I get one. I have the RAM ball on my left mirror perch as well for my Doubletake Mirror. If you don't want to use one of your threaded mirror mounts, They sell bar mount options as well. I've been thinking about the 60CSX as well but I really like the sounds of the Bird's Eye Imagery Plugin for the Newer Garmins (Oregon,62 series,78 series, etc). That's the only reason I haven't snagged a 60CSX yet. Good luck with it once you figure out a good mounting solution for your tastes.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 12:25 am

Hi John,

thanks for the feedback. This is probably a stupid question, but what exactly is a RAM mount. I saw several on cycoactive.com, but I don't quite understand how they all attach. Seems like some are handlebars, and others are maybe the mirror mount, like you mentioned?

Was also wondering about this one:

http://www.cycoactive.com/Store/2491/PN-065-0075/Touratech-Mount-for-Garmin-60C-series

Looks nice, but quite a cost jump!

Thanks
g4b
Back to top Go down
cannon

cannon

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 12:36 am

+1 for ram mounts. Just got the one for the csx and haven't it as of yet, but it looks solid and was inexpensive. My other ram mounts for other items have worked perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Systems-RAM-HOL-GA12U-Plastic-Garmin/dp/B001449B8I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1287808559&sr=8-4

Most of the ram mounts work off the ball and 'cup' set up, but the options are pretty much endless. This link is the tip of the iceberg. The ram website has thousands of little parts you can get.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_automotive?_encoding=UTF8&node=15684181&field-brandtextbin=Ram%20Mount

They make a c-clamp mount that I have used with success, as well. Easy to swap on an off.

Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 1:32 am

thanks guys. One more quick question for ya.

I keep seeing pictures like this one:

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049052057090085/Default.aspx

that give the impression the GPS will be sticking up high in the air above the handlebars. Is that pretty much how they go on?

I was hoping for something that keeps the GPS down low, right next to the handlebars. I guess that's why that pricier one I linked above appealed to me.

Thanks for all the info. This GPS stuff has been confusing.

g4b
Back to top Go down
cannon

cannon

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 2:52 am

They make a stubby ball to ball connector that will shorten it quite a bit. I have one of each, but end up using the longer one. (I am impressing myself by not going for such low fruit as to make 7th grade jokes about all this).

If you get that mount, make sure you get the diamond shaped connector shown on the top of that mount. It did not come with my csx mount and screws into the back of the csx mount to provide the 'ball'. Luckily it was part of a suction cup mount I had sitting around, so I parted out the suction mount.

Also don't mix up the ball sizes. 1" has been good for my limited use, but they make similar looking parts for bigger balls.

Check into vibration issues with the csx and handlebar mounting. I know there is info about it on advrider. I seem to remember some people having to work home made dampers into their mounts to prevent vibration damage. I think that is the same thread I saw a photo of the other mount you linked, so maybe that will help with the search. Overall though, you see a ton of pictures of csx's ram mounted, so it is probably not that big of a deal unless you are in the worst of circumstances. Just a heads up.
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

RimBenty

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 7:08 am

You can swivel the cradle around it doesn't have to stand straight up but it does have limits on how much it can be moved around. Here's a couple pictures of mine with the GPS in the center and to the right. You can see I have the ball that mounts to the handlebar.

One thing you should be aware of is the front brake hose. Identified in the top picture by the arrow. Lets say you have about 10.63 inches of travel in the front suspension. That means that the hose has the capability of moving up and down that much very quickly and forcefully. If you mount the GPS in front of the handlebars pay attention to where it is in relation to that hose. Don't ask how I know about that. baldy

GPS Mounts IMG_0802

GPS Mounts IMG_0801
Back to top Go down
skierd

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Ram mount and cradle. I prefer the high mount so I don't have to look down as far to see where I need to be going.

GPS Mounts Barsfinal
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 4:53 am

RAM is the only way to go. You can buy one GPS cradle and arm, and multiple balls to use it on different bikes. Its a totally modular system and tough as nails.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. The more I learn about these RAM mounts the more I like the sounds of 'em. Gonna try and purchase one here soon.

Thanks!
g4b
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Mine looks almost exactly like this. The key advantage, IMHO, is that with the RAM system, you can adjust the angle of the GPS 60csx so that the sun illuminates the map most of the time. Without sunlight, even with the GPS built in light "on"; I can't read the damn thing. Part of the problem is I don't wear bi-focals when riding and my eyes aren't great anyway but more light helps a ton. The other mounts are not easy to adjust, just watch the brake hose like he says below. The more dust that gets on the GPS screen the harder it gets to read. I've been thinking of trying to mount an extra "bulb", LED light or sumthin', on the GPS to get more light. RAM makes a really reasonable system that is usable for lots of things. The tourtech mount is fancier, shock mounted and all but big $$ and not adjustable, easily. If you have a big GPS, then the tourtech would get attractive, it is stronger.

RimBenty wrote:
You can swivel the cradle around it doesn't have to stand straight up but it does have limits on how much it can be moved around. Here's a couple pictures of mine with the GPS in the center and to the right. You can see I have the ball that mounts to the handlebar.

One thing you should be aware of is the front brake hose. Identified in the top picture by the arrow. Lets say you have about 10.63 inches of travel in the front suspension. That means that the hose has the capability of moving up and down that much very quickly and forcefully. If you mount the GPS in front of the handlebars pay attention to where it is in relation to that hose. Don't ask how I know about that. baldy

GPS Mounts IMG_0802

GPS Mounts IMG_0801
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 5:26 pm

Just ordered these two guys:

http://www.ram-mount.com/SearchResults/tabid/38/searchBy/WizardResults/criteria/ignored/Default.aspx

Hopefully, that'll do the trick! ;-)
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: RAM Mounts rule!   GPS Mounts EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 6:02 pm

RAM Mounts rule!
Your link didn't work though.
I recommend that you take extra measures to secure the GPS to the mount and tether it to the bike. I've ridden hard and crashed with mine and never had a problem.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Sorry 'bout that. Maybe these links will work better:

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045071065049050085/Default.aspx

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049052057090085/Default.aspx

Thanks
g4b
Back to top Go down
e010584

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Garmin GPS Mount   GPS Mounts EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 pm

The GPS60CSX doesn't amend itself well to mounting on the motorcycle let alone being easy to use while mounted. The RAM mounts are about the only choice out there with the only real trick being finding a good spot to mount the ball to allow a low profile and favorable viewing location. I use them on the WRX as well as my CRFX and ATV's. I ended up adapting mine on the WRX by mounting the ball off a small adapter on the left triple clamp pointing inward and ran the short RAM coupler to mount my nuvi 500 directly over the existing digital display without blocking any of the indicator lights. The nuvi 500 is waterproof and has nearly all of the zumo capabilities plus greater versatility at half the price. Touch screen operation and shaded relief topo mapping make it an awsome set up for on and off road. I'll try to take a pic when I get a chance to post.
Back to top Go down
timmer

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 4:58 pm

In addition to the RAM ball mounts, a nifty mounting case for the 60CSx can be found at:

http://bustedcompass.com/Starving_Buzzards.php#Buzz_Bomb_Cradle

GPS Mounts P4120002

I've got one on my F650 and it's durable.

Tim
Back to top Go down
e010584

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: nuvi 500 mount   GPS Mounts EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 12:57 am

Here's some pics of the nuvi 500 mount:
GPS Mounts 6Hbm6 GPS Mounts MVsSB
GPS Mounts QI1EZ GPS Mounts InU73
You'll note that it doesn't block any of the warning lights and is powered also.
Back to top Go down
viper770

viper770

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:30 am

this is my setup works very well
GPS Mounts Wr250rally
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 6:18 pm

I went to a craft store and bought a bag (dozen), of wooden balls for macromay(sp)? They were the same size as ram mount. I mounted them to everything. Boat, snowmobile, fourwheeler, WR, Ice shanty, Etc. Each ball is like $10 vs 12 for $2 thumb Been using RAM Mounts for years. Can you see it in this pic?

GPS Mounts Outsid10
Back to top Go down
viper770

viper770

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 10:40 am

im using a touratech and its perfect I have a garmin gps 62st
GPS Mounts Sam_1111
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GPS Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Mounts   GPS Mounts Empty