Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

MSR Grip Levers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BWA

BWA

MSR Grip Levers Empty
PostSubject: MSR Grip Levers   MSR Grip Levers EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 4:17 pm

I've been looking for a shorter clutch lever for a while. Did some research, and found out that our stock lever is the same as 1989 Yamaha YZ125's. Ordered these @ Rocky:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=87&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&prodFamilyId=1727

$26.95 for brake & clutch lever. I was only hoping to get a replacement clutch lever out of this, but to my surprise, the brake lever fits too! (although the screw pushing on the cylinder isn't in the middle of the cylinder, but it works just fine). The clutch lever is a 2-3 finger length, the brake 2 finger. I couldn't be happier with them. wings
MSR Grip Levers MSR_Grip_Brake_LeverMSR Grip Levers MSR_Grip_Clutch_Lever

Figured I'd share yet another option for our wrx's, since a lot of sites still don't have the levers sorted out for our bikes.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

MSR Grip Levers Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSR Grip Levers   MSR Grip Levers EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Sweeeeetttt..... Did you take a picture of the screw/piston interface ?

How far offset is it ? IOW: Can you still adjust the screw at all ?
Back to top Go down
BWA

BWA

MSR Grip Levers Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSR Grip Levers   MSR Grip Levers EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 6:59 pm

X-Racer wrote:
Sweeeeetttt..... Did you take a picture of the screw/piston interface ?

How far offset is it ? IOW: Can you still adjust the screw at all ?

Went and snapped few more pics. It's offset from center to almost the edge (which works just fine), however it still offers broad adjust ability. One limiting factor however is the brake light pin, at least on my bike. It's quite loose, so I can't unscrew the adjustment screw too much before the brake light staying on...
MSR Grip Levers MSR_Grip_Brake_Lever_Piston_Max_ZoomMSR Grip Levers MSR_Grip_Brake_Lever_Piston_Max
MSR Grip Levers MSR_Grip_Brake_Lever_Piston_Min_ZoomMSR Grip Levers MSR_Grip_Brake_Lever_Piston_Min

Also, the MSR lever has a smaller diameter hole for the return spring. Frankly though, one is not necessary in my opinion, as the piston pushes the lever back to where it needs to be anyway,.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

MSR Grip Levers Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSR Grip Levers   MSR Grip Levers EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 9:18 pm

I s'pose the "pin" portion could be removed (dremel it off) and the diameter would be increased out to the thread dimension (giving it more purchase on the piston). Noting that the angle of the adjustment screw changes as the lever is pulled.

....and the return spring hole could be increased slightly (simple drill job). Not a big deal, but I'd not want to necessarily (given the option) to use hydraulic pressure for return preload.

....but like you said if it works, it works !

For some with less, I'll call it brake leverage sensitivity or ability to use it effectively (I'm thinking about "the girl" who jumps on it indiscriminately in a panic and it goes from zero to OMG there goes the front end) the more range it has is better.

I think I'll get a set. if nothing else it's a good back-up in the save-a-ride collection.

The link doesn't take you to the actual set you ordered, so it is an 89 YZ125 set ?

Good find... Great price. Thanks !
Back to top Go down
BWA

BWA

MSR Grip Levers Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSR Grip Levers   MSR Grip Levers EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 9:39 pm

X-Racer wrote:
I s'pose the "pin" portion could be removed (dremel it off) and the diameter would be increased out to the thread dimension (giving it more purchase on the piston). Noting that the angle of the adjustment screw changes as the lever is pulled.

Are you referring to the brake light pin? Removing it is not really an option, unless you want the brake light to stay on... scratch

Quote :

....and the return spring hole could be increased slightly (simple drill job). Not a big deal, but I'd not want to necessarily (given the option) to use hydraulic pressure for return preload.

....but like you said if it works, it works !

I thought about it, but I don't have a good work bench with vice grip attachment, so trying to do that with a cordless drill would be little tricky lol That said, I did put a smaller diameter spring in it, though I think at that size, it's not doing much anyway...

Quote :

For some with less, I'll call it brake leverage sensitivity or ability to use it effectively (I'm thinking about "the girl" who jumps on it indiscriminately in a panic and it goes from zero to OMG there goes the front end) the more range it has is better.

lol! that would be a hellova sight (though not on my bike! lol)

Quote :

I think I'll get a set. if nothing else it's a good back-up in the save-a-ride collection.

The link doesn't take you to the actual set you ordered, so it is an 89 YZ125 set ?

Good find... Great price. Thanks !

Yeah, unfortunately their site doesn't link to machine specific parts well...

And yup, 1989 Yamaha YZ125. MSR Grip Levers Cheers
Back to top Go down
yaw

MSR Grip Levers Empty
PostSubject: how are they holding up?   MSR Grip Levers EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 1:32 am

It's been awhile since you've had these on. Are they still working well?

I think what xracer was saying was to file off the pointy end of the brake light pin. Then you would have to screw the screw in further to contact the drum. This would allow the lever to be adjusted further in toward the throttle in case the hand reach was too far. xracer correct me if I'm wrong.

These look like a great option. Would love to hear how they've been working out. Thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MSR Grip Levers Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSR Grip Levers   MSR Grip Levers Empty

Back to top Go down

MSR Grip Levers
Page 1 of 1